The Decline review by NOFX

• Released: Nov 23, 1999
NOFX: The Decline

Leave it to NOFX, who are known for their minute-something songs, to do something completely different and record an 18 minute song. This EP only has one, 18 minute track, that sounds like your typical, ridiculously fast NOFX. You might be fooled into thinking an 18 minute song could get boring when surprisingly, it doesn't. Fat Mike has carefully orchestrated every segment of this song, using different styles that flow seamlessly from one part to the next. Of course there are a lot of punk parts, a few ska parts, a little acoustic, a few solos and a trombone part as well. As always the drums are extremely fast, the guitars play more than just powerchords and there are bass fills everywhere on this record.

The lyrics on "The Decline" are some of the best I've ever heard. NOFX's trademark satire/sarcasm is executed flawlessly. From the first line, "Where are all the stupid people from? And how'd they get to be so dumb?" Mike sings about the decline of society, and basically how we are fucking ourselves every day, hence the title, "The Decline." "Why go against tradition? when we can admit defeat, live in decline, be the victims of our own design..." The lyrics really blew me away on this record. Most of the lyrics on have a slight political angle. Topics range from the NRA, the church, and cops, to television and everyday life. Overall the lyrics really highlight this well-crafted song.

The music on this cd sounds similar to other NOFX, although they manage to change it up quite a bit throughout. All in all, it's NOFX. You either like them or you don't. I would recommend, pick up this record if you have one of their other cd's and you like the sound. This record has a much more serious vibe than some of their "joke-songs", (i.e. "The Brews," "Monosyllabic Girl" or "She's Nubs"). If you're at the point where you enjoy Fat Mike's intentionally bad singing/uncompromising punk attitude and the ultra-fast NOFX tempo, then you will love this CD. It's cheaper than most full-lengths so I would undoubtedly buy it again if it were stolen.

ExDeath
    18 miniuets wow. I haven't heard it but I mean, I really only listen up to the solo in master of puppets and get board. Same w/ through the fire and flames. but damn those are like 8 min. NOFX kicks major ass. I'll get it.