They've Actually Gotten Worse Live review by NOFX

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Nov 20, 2007
  • Sound: 8
  • Lyrics: 8
  • Overall Impression: 8
  • Reviewer's score: 8 Superb
  • Users' score: 7.7 (60 votes)
NOFX: They've Actually Gotten Worse Live
2

Sound — 8
Fat Mike, El Hefe, Melvin and Smelly are back with a 'new' album. Fine, it's a live album, which can be considered to be about time considering the popularity of their last one with the fan base. The guitars are typically crunchy and complementary, and the listener tangibly gets to hear the dynamism of El Hefe and Melvin's dual guitar attack. The production is slick and shiny, perhaps not as raw as punk rock should be, but Nofx is not a first wave punk band in terms of their sound on record or live. They like to sound a little more refined production wise than the average punk band. Basically, Fat Mike's sloppy vocals manage to convince the listener of punk rock sloppiness, but many listeners will be able to hear that the production has shined things up. Perhaps what I have pinpointed as post live studio meddling is can put down to expert live recording instead, but I can't see how the production team hasn't altered the mix. This isn't a criticism as such, but perhaps on a live album, the band could have gone for nature of nurture. They've Actually Gotten Worse Live captures Nofx at their best on tracks such as Franco Un-American, The Longest Line and Murder the Government for pure spontaneity and reworking. This live record captures Nofx in their element and one cannot fault it.

Lyrics — 8
Mike decides to start singing Green Day lyrics towards the end of The Longest Line, a hilarious take on Basket Case for a moment or two. He then proceeds to sing a birthday song to a girl named Amy in the audience, but he points out in the lyrics that We just want to embarrass you. Mike also alters the lyrics to Murder the Government, with a less than complementary stance on Dick Cheney's health. Pivotal to the Nofx live experience is the abundance of humour throughout, with Mike talking about issues ranging from the size of Eric Melvin's penis to the guys in AFI. Also potent to the mix is the input from the other guys in the band, besides Mike, who harmonize his vocals and complement the jokes, of which Melvin tends to be the butt.

Overall Impression — 8
Despite my having grown out of Nofx a couple of years ago, one cannot fault their approach to recording this album. If Nofx were a political party, this would be their public relations campaign, managing to play a set list that does not include any songs from the last live album, but still manages to appeal to their supporters; this is a solid effort that will be a vital stop gap between Wolves in Wolves Clothing and the band's next record. Perhaps what goes against the band's favour is that they have avoided reworking popular songs such as Bob, Linoleum or The Brews. Despite this minor criticism, the audience did not seem to mind, and if you really want to hear those songs live, you should purchase I heard they Suck Live as well. Overall, a hardcore Nofx fan cannot really complain.

83 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Death_Bat_6661
    NOFX have been going for 25 years,and still they havent havent sold out nor changed their music for Commercial, Critical or Public appeal we need more bands to have the integrity of NOFX
    MentalityBand
    emo=Fights=yay wrote: better than live emo bands id say
    Precisely. Skate punk bands like NOFX and Guttermouth are better than those 'punk' emo bands like Blink-182, Fall Out Boy, Good Charlotte, Panic! At the Disco... ...the list goes on ad infinitum.
    SG thrasher
    People take them too seriously, they are what they are, a great punk-rock band who like to have fun.
    ANewFoundPride
    i find it funny that people read these entire articles and comments just to say how that band sucks...why read it if you dont like it? perhaps just to turn it into every other article where people argue about the band and emo, regardless if the band is emo or not. Maybe someday comments will discuss what the actual article is on for once. good album though, nofx did well with this album
    See_Jay
    jge1541 wrote: MentalityBand wrote: emo=Fights=yay wrote: better than live emo bands id say Precisely. Skate punk bands like NOFX and Guttermouth are better than those 'punk' emo bands like Blink-182, Fall Out Boy, Good Charlotte, Panic! At the Disco... ...the list goes on ad infinitum. well Fall out boy isn't emo they are indi. I think many people confuse indi bands with emo-punk. by the way I like all types of music but I seem to always in an argument with someone who only listen to punk and find alot of people very close minded. for example at the warped after I got done watching NOFX I was going over to see underoath. some guy actually stoped me to say "what are you doing? you cant go over there right after seeing NOFX didnt you hear what fat mike said?" I said "fat mike says a lot of things that doesen't necesarily mean it's to be done. man think for yoursef don't let others tell you what to do, that is something Fat Mike himself is against." I seem to be getting shit from close minded punk rock listeners. oh and by the way did you know punk is dead its been dead for a while? just though you should know.
    Umm you are a ****ing retard. Fall out boy is gay...they should have a genre created for themselves titled "gay". Punk is not dead. Just faggets like you that listen to different types of music say that because you dislike a song or band from the punk scene. I am 14 and I think Nofx is and always has been rad. I been listening to The Casualties, Rancid, Dropkick Murphys and Nofx sense I was little. So to all the people that talk shit about Nofx go listen to fall out boy and paramore and stop checking out threds and reading everything about their album just to write some lame ass reveiw about it that expresses only your own opinion. Havent heard this album yet but I am going to check it out "]
    grimevil
    Sure some of Fall Out Boys shit is cheesy, but they write a ****ing catchy song, which is actually a hard thing to do. 90% of the crap that's on the radio, no matter what station you turn to, is there because it's catchy. Songs get popular, get put on the radio, get put on the billboard top ten, because they're catchy. How many of those songs are actually good? How many of them would you say were "hard to make." Personally, I would say a very few amount of those were difficult to create. I doubt a whole lot of music theory went in to creating most catchy songs.
    Lunartick
    I would just like to say, a few people in this thread have called Fall Out Boy an indie band, and that is totally not true. They're power-pop, plain and simple. Indie rock is stuff like Broken Social Scene or The Arcade Fire, or Modest Mouse. It's a pretty broad spectrum, but FOB doesn't even come close to falling on it. And uh, NOFX has some good songs, but overall I don't really like the band that much. Still better than most other mainstream rock bands though.
    fhqwgads
    Death_Bat_6661 wrote: NOFX have been going for 25 years,and still they havent havent sold out nor changed their music for Commercial, Critical or Public appeal Amen, brother. I really want this record now. we need more bands to have the integrity of NOFX
    hinin
    sold out or not NOFX has never been a punk band. Punk bands
    TheKingisDead wrote: winningdays wrote: Does it bother punk rockers that they support a genre full of hypocrites? The fact that punk has a 'fashion' or a 'dresscode' is already a contradiction. It supposedly supports individualism, but yet everyone dresses the same? Also when was the last time any of you even attempted to listen to a Fall Out Boy cd? Im willing to bet that many of you 'Punks' know anything about music and it's construction. Sure some of Fall Out Boys shit is cheesy, but they write a ****ing catchy song, which is actually a hard thing to do. There was ONE punk band, they were the sex pistols. Everyone else is just breathing life into a genre that died with Sid Vicious. Am I the only person who seems to understand this? You can listen to punk without being a scene-jumping jackass. Punk isn't a fashion. People who play the roles are the ones who don't understand the whole principle. Punk is music. You don't need to wear spikes and stupid hair cuts to enjoy and stand behind the music. Obviously you are the only one who "gets it". But you just so happen to be getting it wrong.
    You're right in some things you say - punk isn't about slagging shit off, or dressing up like your heroes. In fact punk ain't really about anything other than an attitude. You're bang wrong about one punk band though mate, real DIY punk bands exist in almost every city in the world, just don't try looking for em in your local shopping center. Real punk never went away, it just dug itself underground.
    The_Seventh_Sin
    Death_Bat_6661 wrote: NOFX have been going for 25 years,and still they havent havent sold out nor changed their music for Commercial, Critical or Public appeal we need more bands to have the integrity of NOFX
    yea that + talent would be nice
    Seidenschnur
    I heard Pete Wentz and Fat Mike are actually friends. I guess they've been seen "carousing" about the town on an occasion or two. Yikes!
    TheKingisDead
    winningdays wrote: Does it bother punk rockers that they support a genre full of hypocrites? The fact that punk has a 'fashion' or a 'dresscode' is already a contradiction. It supposedly supports individualism, but yet everyone dresses the same? Also when was the last time any of you even attempted to listen to a Fall Out Boy cd? Im willing to bet that many of you 'Punks' know anything about music and it's construction. Sure some of Fall Out Boys shit is cheesy, but they write a ****ing catchy song, which is actually a hard thing to do. There was ONE punk band, they were the sex pistols. Everyone else is just breathing life into a genre that died with Sid Vicious. Am I the only person who seems to understand this?
    You can listen to punk without being a scene-jumping jackass. Punk isn't a fashion. People who play the roles are the ones who don't understand the whole principle. Punk is music. You don't need to wear spikes and stupid hair cuts to enjoy and stand behind the music. Obviously you are the only one who "gets it". But you just so happen to be getting it wrong.
    xCoilx
    rebreh wrote: winningdays wrote: Does it bother punk rockers that they support a genre full of hypocrites? The fact that punk has a 'fashion' or a 'dresscode' is already a contradiction. It supposedly supports individualism, but yet everyone dresses the same? Also when was the last time any of you even attempted to listen to a Fall Out Boy cd? Im willing to bet that many of you 'Punks' know anything about music and it's construction. Sure some of Fall Out Boys shit is cheesy, but they write a ****ing catchy song, which is actually a hard thing to do. There was ONE punk band, they were the sex pistols. Everyone else is just breathing life into a genre that died with Sid Vicious. Am I the only person who seems to understand this? Yeah punks and goths all dress the same and they think they are standing out when it is just a uniform. But you are wrong on one thing/fall out boy is a terrible band. Nofx is to
    rebreh, shut up.
    cuzsdealer
    i grew up listening to NOFX and saw them live this year and they are still great. I dont listen to them much anymore as my music tastes have evolved but i still think they are one of the best bands in the so called "punk" genre that started in the early 90's. up there with BAD RELIGION and PENNYWISE. havent bought a NOFX album since SHOES
    ILTDWP
    I have to agree with several people in this forum in that, who gives a shit if other people don't like the music? Why get offended let them like their music. It shouldn't effect you unless you're really that insecure about yourself enough to care about what other people say about your favorite band. Who cares if YOU like it then YOU like it.
    slim_chicken
    Minds_iron wrote: rubbish band
    right yh of course there rubbish mate. just like every copycat indie,emo,post-hardcore etc band is rubbish.nofx have been goin since 1983 so give them a bit of credit u knw coz just callin them rubbish coz u dnt like them is offending people that do.like me. keep that in mind yes .
    Mr Pringle
    NEEDS MORE ARGUING BUT I'M GOING TO TALK ABOUT THE ALBUM. It's a pretty good live album considering they play songs which have been altered to being faster or slower, it's NOFX you get what you think.
    FlapJack85
    poop182 wrote: MentalityBand wrote: emo=Fights=yay wrote: better than live emo bands id say Precisely. Skate punk bands like NOFX and Guttermouth are better than those 'punk' emo bands like Blink-182, Fall Out Boy, Good Charlotte, Panic! At the Disco... ...the list goes on ad infinitum. i seriously want to slap you,do u honestly think those bands are emo? wtf??? Blink-182=Pop Punk, their last album had a lot of emotion in the lyrics, but Deff. not "Emo" Fall Out Boy=Indy Rock Good Charlotte=Gay Rock, but not emo Panic! at The Disco is the closet band you named to emo, but they arent. I dont understand why people worry so much about things being called "Emo" these days. i mean for christ's sake! that guys screen name is Emo=Fight=yay how Much Gayer can u get? oh, and Blink-182 is the best band in my opinion.
    haha falloutboy is NOT INDIE!! THEY BELONG TO FULLED BY RAMEN!! ONE OF THE LEADING RECORD COMP. INDIE MEANS INDAPENDANT LABEL LIKE MUTE CRITIC WHO REALLY DONT EVEN HAVE A LABEL. but i agree with your blink-182 statment!
    Plugs44
    First off, emo is Rites Of Spring or Gray Matter, or arguably Fugazi. So, Fallout Boy or Panic at the Disco or Blink are not emo. No mainstream bands are emo, in fact I'm not sure of any bands that are actual true emo that are active today. Blink is pop punk, Fallout Boy is a mix of pop punk and pop rock, and Panic is simply pop rock. Can not be disputed. My only gripe with this record is that mike and i guess the whole band is that they're waaaaay to preachy with religion now, and by preachy, telling me I'm wrong. So, if he doesn't like christians or other religions trying to convert him, how come he can try to convert me to atheism? Thats pure hypocrisy right there. Not this album, but their lastest one Coaster has 3 or 4 songs about this, which is way too much. I know he has a right to say whatever he wants, and if I don't like it I shouldn't listen to it, but you don't need to tell people what to do or how to live their life. And they're one of my favorite bands regardless, so it pisses me off even more that I have to listen to one of my favorite bands straight up dis me.
    slim_chicken
    Minds_iron wrote: rubbish band right yh of course there rubbish mate.just like every copycat indie,emo,post-hardcore etc band is rubbish.nofx have been goin since 1983 so give them a bit of credit before u go mouthin them off coz u dnt like them coz ur offending people that do.like me.keep that in mind yes .
    slim_chicken
    Minds_iron wrote: rubbish band
    right yh of course there rubbish mate just like every copycat indie,emo,post-hardcore etc band is rubbish.nofx have been goin since 1983 so even if u dnt like em show em a bit of credit coz just callin them rubbish is offending people that do.like me.keep that in mind yes !
    ILTDWP
    ANewFoundPride wrote: i find it funny that people read these entire articles and comments just to say how that band sucks...why read it if you dont like it? perhaps just to turn it into every other article where people argue about the band and emo, regardless if the band is emo or not. Maybe someday comments will discuss what the actual article is on for once. good album though, nofx did well with this album
    That's what a review is some people like the album some don't. It's a pretty simple concept.
    hipis
    you, nofx is my favourite group about 5 years, so im fine, thats new album out... but in our shops it will be at 2009 /:
    AlexBarraclough
    oh for **** sake. Everyone stop ****ing arguing about whats emo, whats punk, whats shit and whats good. Just ****ing listen to the albums you like. NOFX are ace not coz of all this bullshit about not giving in to public criticisms. who ****ing cares if fat mike wrote a song called your wrong. Its an awesome song that you can listen to over and over again.
    Weasal69
    winningdays wrote: Does it bother punk rockers that they support a genre full of hypocrites? The fact that punk has a 'fashion' or a 'dresscode' is already a contradiction. It supposedly supports individualism, but yet everyone dresses the same? Also when was the last time any of you even attempted to listen to a Fall Out Boy cd? Im willing to bet that many of you 'Punks' know anything about music and it's construction. Sure some of Fall Out Boys shit is cheesy, but they write a ****ing catchy song, which is actually a hard thing to do. There was ONE punk band, they were the sex pistols. Everyone else is just breathing life into a genre that died with Sid Vicious. Am I the only person who seems to understand this?
    jge1541
    ReiDSaN wrote: It doesn't matter one way or the other if punk is dead, or who's emo and who isn't. It matters who and what you'd like to listen to today.
    definetly man that the my whole point. If something sounds good I'll listen to it. I say the hell with genres! shoot brett gurewitz himself likes all kinds of music ranging from punk to even R&B! its kinda crazy i know but very true
    jge1541
    See_Jay wrote: jge1541 wrote: MentalityBand wrote: emo=Fights=yay wrote: better than live emo bands id say Precisely. Skate punk bands like NOFX and Guttermouth are better than those 'punk' emo bands like Blink-182, Fall Out Boy, Good Charlotte, Panic! At the Disco... ...the list goes on ad infinitum. well Fall out boy isn't emo they are indi. I think many people confuse indi bands with emo-punk. by the way I like all types of music but I seem to always in an argument with someone who only listen to punk and find alot of people very close minded. for example at the warped after I got done watching NOFX I was going over to see underoath. some guy actually stoped me to say "what are you doing? you cant go over there right after seeing NOFX didnt you hear what fat mike said?" I said "fat mike says a lot of things that doesen't necesarily mean it's to be done. man think for yoursef don't let others tell you what to do, that is something Fat Mike himself is against." I seem to be getting shit from close minded punk rock listeners. oh and by the way did you know punk is dead its been dead for a while? just though you should know. Umm you are a ****ing retard. Fall out boy is gay...they should have a genre created for themselves titled "gay". Punk is not dead. Just faggets like you that listen to different types of music say that because you dislike a song or band from the punk scene. I am 14 and I think Nofx is and always has been rad. I been listening to The Casualties, Rancid, Dropkick Murphys and Nofx sense I was little. So to all the people that talk shit about Nofx go listen to fall out boy and paramore and stop checking out threds and reading everything about their album just to write some lame ass reveiw about it that expresses only your own opinion. Havent heard this album yet but I am going to check it out "]
    Um yes it is my opinion and there's nothing wrong with that. and what is wrong with listening to things other than just one genre. but yea "real" punk is dead what you hear with NOFX, casualties, and all of them are I guess neo-punk. which by the way I love them all. I saw the casualties and were amazing live. real punk are things like old Bad religion, old descendents, black flag, minor threat, circle jerks etc. anyway this is what I'm talking about with people being close minded and saying I'm gay simply bc I like a wide variety of music. tell me how is that wrong? and I never said I disliked NOFX or critisized punk in any way i've actually listened to them for along time and think their music is really good. I dont completely agree with EVERYTHING the band stands for or has to say but thats normal I mean nobody agrees with EVERYTHING another person has to say. or do you? all I did was critisize close minded people who think im gay for listening to all kinds of music
    ohshizabear
    I've come to realize that people criticize punk unfairly. Sure it's hypocritical, most people are, as are most genres of music. It's not about how complicated the music is in terms of playing or even how well the person writing it understands the musical scales and music theory, sure those things help but really it doesn't make good music. After years of thinking punk was garbage, I listened to it again with a more open mind and now I have lots of fun listening to it. I'm not expecting anything profound from it or any awe-inspiring licks and riffs, I'm just letting giving myself the opportunity to enjoy it. Try not to think of bands in genres, it makes it easier to judge a band on its own merit.
    ParticleManTMBG
    ReiDSaN wrote: It doesn't matter one way or the other if punk is dead, or who's emo and who isn't. It matters who and what you'd like to listen to today.
    ^This.
    jimmirizz
    cant wait to snag this disc, nofx is awesome live. i wish theyd have tossed the decline on there at the end though. i saw them do it in worcester and it was rad as balls.
    poop182
    MentalityBand wrote: emo=Fights=yay wrote: better than live emo bands id say Precisely. Skate punk bands like NOFX and Guttermouth are better than those 'punk' emo bands like Blink-182, Fall Out Boy, Good Charlotte, Panic! At the Disco... ...the list goes on ad infinitum.
    i seriously want to slap you,do u honestly think those bands are emo? wtf??? Blink-182=Pop Punk, their last album had a lot of emotion in the lyrics, but Deff. not "Emo" Fall Out Boy=Indy Rock Good Charlotte=Gay Rock, but not emo Panic! at The Disco is the closet band you named to emo, but they arent. I dont understand why people worry so much about things being called "Emo" these days. i mean for christ's sake! that guys screen name is Emo=Fight=yay how Much Gayer can u get? oh, and Blink-182 is the best band in my opinion.
    ss311
    Comeback Kiddd wrote: how many songs from are in the i heard they suck live album that is also in this album? i heard I heard they suck live and i thought it was awsome.
    none
    soulphonate
    This album isn't as good as most of their albums, but if you are a fan, definately worth picking up.
    blaze2thekings
    "RONALD...MCDONALD.....paints a happy face on a McMurderer"---hands down these guys have some of the greatest lyrics. "My vagina has two sets of lips...but i dont get monthly blood drips"