Wolves In Wolves' Clothing review by NOFX

• Released: Apr 18, 2006
NOFX: Wolves In Wolves' Clothing

NOFX is probably one of the most influrential bands ever. They have been consistently been putting out great punk/ska records for like what, 20 years now? Their new CD is one of their best ever. Wolves In Wolves' Clothing is one of, if not the, best punk albums out this year. Ranging from punk, to ska, to even hill billy, this album covers all subjects.

Less political than War On Errorism, which is good because they got too caught up on politics in that album. It's more funny and more about world culture and other things. Fat Mike is not a great singer, but he gets the job done and does it in his traditional snot nosed fashion.

This again is the best punk album this year. Th sound overall is great. The most Impressive song to me is The Man I Killed, because it can go from a bouncy, hillbilly country sound, to a raging punk sound and blend it seamlessly. I personally love how they can be serious on some songs (USA-holes), and then be hilarious on some songs (Instant Crassic). I dont hate anything about this album. If it were stolen, I'd buy it again 'cause it's a kick ass NOFX album.

andyvalente
    First of all, we start out with "60%", which is basically an anthem of half-assedness about how little these guys have to try to completely immerse us in their music. It starts out with acoustics, and then hardens up, as Mike's vocals ring out: "Welcome to our mission statement...." and for the next few seconds, a riot breaks out. Onto to track two. USA-Holes. This track is awesome. Mike references a car crash to how we feel in North America today about our society/goverment. He also references the Titanic, comparing it to the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan. "We saw the iceberg from fifteen miles away. The captain orders the ship to stay on course....." You can totally feel Mike's contempt for our prez. He made me feel it, too. Great. Track 3....Seeing double at the triple rock. This song opens with a great riff. Sandin's kit rips onto the scene shortly thereafter. Apparently, the Triple Rock is a bar in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and it's a great place to be stuck during inclement weather. There are more great Fatty-styled referances here. In the chorus, he talks about being at the church of alcoholics, and how the congregation can't be broken. Praying that the taps will keep the holy water flowing. Key kicks, and communion and a long night of confessions, coming home afternoon seems to raise a lot of questions. When in Minnesota, and you've got a drinking quota...." This song was also on their EP a few weeks ago. (Go buy it! It's got a Darby Crash/Pat Smear song on it!!!) Next... "We march to the beat of indifferent drum"... This track starts with a small couple-chord intro...Then it goes straight into a very laid back, very jazzy bassline as Mike's vocals tell us of our asses being in the air and our heads in the ground. How unwilling to see hear all these truths about America we are. How sugar-coated all of our truths are. Really, this track makes me want to stop the record, and put on the Decline. In the chorus, there are some excellent "AAAhs" on the part of Melvin and Hefe. The next track is also on the EP.(Did you buy it yet? Hurry up!)The Marxist brothers. A great song about hanging out lots of shit. References ebay, when he says, "If my bid was enough to get Today's Empires are tomorrow's ashes on Soviet red vinyl." (A Propaghandi record) Definitely not my fave. Next up is "The Man I killed" It's so obvious. I'm pretty sure it was on purpose. This song has a happy feel, but not in contrast to the lyrics. The music has kind of a laid back country kind of feel. I appreciate this song a lot, not liking our president, or his ways. Another cool song where Fatty drags out lyrics over the entire song, almost seamlessly. Next up. Benny Got Blowed Up... This was on one of the NOFX 7" of the month club vinyls. (Yeah, I've got all of them, on colored vinyl!) This song is about a guy that seems to have been through a lot of shit. One day, he decides to go around ****in everybody, everything, and himself up. Maybe Benny has always been that way. Great guitars. Very hot intro. I really love the change from the verse to the chorus. Great hook in the chorus, thanks to the ways that their vocals and guitars mesh. Sandin's drums are pretty simple on this one, but wait till the next track.... Leaving Jesusland....One of my favorites. This song is totally true. It's about how much most of this country's people are over here on the east coast. I completely concur with Mike that "They gotta punch new holes in the bible belt." Melvin and Hefe's guitars really shine on this one, too. Beautiful palm-muting all throughout on this one. The second time they play the verse, there's this really rad "root-octave" part that's muted. Melvin's backing vocals, "They don't want visitor's in Jesusland..." are really in place. I really like the bridge, too. It lifts you all the way up, and then they drop you right back down and into the palm-mutes. Alright, I've said too much, I think. High on the DL... Another one from the 7" club. This is a cool song about exactly what it connotates. More palm-muting. Hefe's backups mix right into this with ease. One cool thing about this track... on the 7" of the month club, there was a WAAAAY better solo. Next is Cool and Unusual Punishment. This song is one of the best from the 7" club. I think it was on a bright blue vinyl. It's about S&M in Japan. Awesome. "Rope, and cigarette burns, and forget about any health concerns..." Also, after the choruses, there is this little riff that Hefe does. It evokes thoughts of the Beetles, I'd say. It's this twangy-ass Richenbacker-type sound.It almost sounds out of tune. It fits very nicely. They close the song with the phrase "Try explaining this to your significant other... good ****ing luck!" Finally, we've got the title track. Great. Such clean guitars, but overdriven bass. Nice combo. Until Mike tells us we're this planet's kidney stone. With that, we go straight into total radness. Awesome picking on this one. Melvin's octave parts are totally into place. Along with Hefe's solo. Good old fashioned fast, kick your ass NOFX song. Reminis
    Skater Punk Guy
    yeah this cd is awesome and yes it would be good if there were more guitar leads but nobody cares about system of a down
    LosLobos
    didnt like this CD its too light for me. I loved their older stuff. Doesnt seem punk enough anymore. What happened to stuff like Stick in my eye, Dinosaurs Will Die. Not the same band I grew up with, o well things change.
    sothisisfreedom
    broken_leg wrote: get f**ked soad shits all over nofx and your other piss weak punk bands. nofx are good at least they still sound original and dont have a bitchy sounding singer whinging about nothing.
    you made no ****ing sense....i expect nothing less on a nofx review.
    insight1234 wrote: Are you the real fat Mike? If so, you rule! I recruitet another NOFX-fan earlier today(that means extra money for U)! Too bad I haven't heard the CD yet(I WILL buy it!)... Any happy songs on the record like philty phil phileantrophist, happy break up song, fleas and similar? Ur happy stuff is the shit. Escpessially on a shitty day! And some bass solos would rock!
    you are a dumbass.
    insight1234
    broken_leg
    zappp
    bored789
    awesome cd and all with awesome lyrics, but more gutiar leads would be better and soad does suck
    HmTownHero1007
    bigredandre wrote: dude, daron malakian sucks. The whole band sucks. System of a Down. what a gay name. Oh, NOFX's new CD is pretty good. But soad still sucks...
    haha pretty funny... but shut the fu ck up
    bigredandre
    Malakian=God
    [quote]andyvalente : First of all, we start out with "60%", which is basically an anthem of half-assedness about how little these guys have to try to completely immerse us in their music. It starts out with acoustics, and then hardens up, as Mike's vocals ring out: "Welcome to our mission statement...." and for the next few seconds, a riot breaks out. Onto to track two. USA-Holes. This track is awesome. Mike references a car crash to how we feel in North America today about our society/goverment. He also references the Titanic, comparing it to the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan. "We saw the iceberg from fifteen miles away. The captain orders the ship to stay on course....." You can totally feel Mike's contempt for our prez. He made me feel it, too. Great. Track 3....Seeing double at the triple rock. This song opens with a great riff. Sandin's kit rips onto the scene shortly thereafter. Apparently, the Triple Rock is a bar in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and it's a great place to be stuck during inclement weather. There are more great Fatty-styled referances here. In the chorus, he talks about being at the church of alcoholics, and how the congregation can't be broken. Praying that the taps will keep the holy water flowing. Key kicks, and communion and a long night of confessions, coming home afternoon seems to raise a lot of questions. When in Minnesota, and you've got a drinking quota...." This song was also on their EP a few weeks ago. (Go buy it! It's got a Darby Crash/Pat Smear song on it!!!) Next... "We march to the beat of indifferent drum"... This track starts with a small couple-chord intro...Then it goes straight into a very laid back, very jazzy bassline as Mike's vocals tell us of our asses being in the air and our heads in the ground. How unwilling to see hear all these truths about America we are. How sugar-coated all of our truths are. Really, this track makes me want to stop the record, and put on the Decline. In the chorus, there are some excellent "AAAhs" on the part of Melvin and Hefe. The next track is also on the EP.(Did you buy it yet? Hurry up!)The Marxist brothers. A great song about hanging out lots of shit. References ebay, when he says, "If my bid was enough to get Today's Empires are tomorrow's ashes on Soviet red vinyl." (A Propaghandi record) Definitely not my fave. Next up is "The Man I killed" It's so obvious. I'm pretty sure it was on purpose. This song has a happy feel, but not in contrast to the lyrics. The music has kind of a laid back country kind of feel. I appreciate this song a lot, not liking our president, or his ways. Another cool song where Fatty drags out lyrics over the entire song, almost seamlessly. Next up. Benny Got Blowed Up... This was on one of the NOFX 7" of the month club vinyls. (Yeah, I've got all of them, on colored vinyl!) This song is about a guy that seems to have been through a lot of shit. One day, he decides to go around ****in everybody, everything, and himself up. Maybe Benny has always been that way. Great guitars. Very hot intro. I really love the change from the verse to the chorus. Great hook in the chorus, thanks to the ways that their vocals and guitars mesh. Sandin's drums are pretty simple on this one, but wait till the next track.... Leaving Jesusland....One of my favorites. This song is totally true. It's about how much most of this country's people are over here on the east coast. I completely concur with Mike that "They gotta punch new holes in the bible belt." Melvin and Hefe's guitars really shine on this one, too. Beautiful palm-muting all throughout on this one. The second time they play the verse, there's this really rad "root-octave" part that's muted. Melvin's backing vocals, "They don't want visitor's in Jesusland..." are really in place. I really like the bridge, too. It lifts you all the way up, and then they drop you right back down and into the palm-mutes. Alright, I've said too much, I think. High on the DL... Another one from the 7" club. This is a cool song about exactly what it connotates. More palm-muting. Hefe's backups mix right into this with ease. One cool thing about this track... on the 7" of the month club, there was a WAAAAY better solo. Next is Cool and Unusual Punishment. This song is one of the best from the 7" club. I think it was on a bright blue vinyl. It's about S&M in Japan. Awesome. "Rope, and cigarette burns, and forget about any health concerns..." Also, after the choruses, there is this little riff that Hefe does. It evokes thoughts of the Beetles, I'd say. It's this twangy-ass Richenbacker-type sound.It almost sounds out of tune. It fits very nicely. They close the song with the phrase "Try explaining this to your significant other... good ****ing luck!" Finally, we've got the title track. Great. Such clean guitars, but overdriven bass. Nice combo. Until Mike tells us we're this planet's kidney stone. With that, we go straight into total radness. Awesome picking on this one. Melvin's octave parts are totally into place. Along with Hefe's solo. Good old fashioned fast, kick your as
    Letterbomb11
    My two cents worth: the record is divided into three parts: The first part is fast and rocking with new stuff like USA-Holes. Second part is the 7" club songs (new Man I Killed is Great0, where the problem is we've heard them before. The third part is mostly slower stuff that isn't as good (except Catando and 60% reprise). Overall, it's okay, but PID, SLATFATS, and WOE reign supreme.
    stjimmy86
    pretty damn good. about as good as war on errorism. Seeing Double At The Triple Rock has a kick ass intro. 9/10
    \m/(-_-)\m/
    this is awsome!!!!! in the song seeing double at the triple rock he sounds kinda like dexter from the offspring i might be just me i dont know but THIS ALBUM ROCKS!!!!!
    Neon D-von
    zappp m : hey dude... how about submiting your review thru a submit form, rather then posting it as a comment? seriously.
    memyselfandjeff
    This is probably one of my favorite albums ever. Everything is catchy and memorable, except for maybe one or 2 songs. I love it
    Letterbomb11
    Subject matter seems kind of hypocritical this time around. From WOE: "Must Separate the Church and skate". This time, they are ragging on the church (and I must mention, getting a substantial amount of facts wrong too).