Wolves In Wolves' Clothing review by NOFX

• Released: Apr 18, 2006
NOFX: Wolves In Wolves' Clothing

NOFX have always played fast songs, with funny lyrics and bad singing (on purpose). I would describe their music as "punk rock". They have always seemed to play ska influenced songs as well, as a lot of punk bands do. This album came out in 2006 after them releasing an EP every month for a year, featuring demos of some of the tracks from "Wolves In Wolves' Clothing". There's nothing particularly new about this record, apart from the songwriting style, which, to me, seems to have changed a lot since the last album. The songs seem slightly less up-beat, which might have something to do with the band getting old (they have been arund since '83). There is a lot more of Eric Melvin (the rythm guitarist) singing on this album, which can be viewed as a bad thing, as he is a truly terrible singer, but I think it adds to the punk feel of the album, and he knows he can't sing, so it's a jokey thing, really. In fact the album was advertised "with 40% more Melvin", which I thought was quite funny. Anyway, this album is very well produced, as with most of NOFX's newer albums, and I think it sounds really good.

As with most of NOFX's albums, the lyrics are about all the things wrong with the government, how they don't like Christians, and their views on drugs and suicide and stuff. There is one song with really crap lyrics, called "Instant Crassic", whic I usually skip, because I find it really annoying. I think earlier NOFX albums have had much better lyrics, such as "So Long And Thanks For The Shoes" and "Punk In Drublic".

I think this album is very good, considering how old the band are now, and how much good material they have poured out. A thing I really like about them is how they have never done anything just for the money. It has always been about the music, which I think is a very good thing. My favourite thing about this album is the well mixed sound and slightly darker songs, such as "Doornails". The problem I have with this album is the track "Instant Crassic", which I find totally pointless and not funny. I think the best tracks on this album are "The Marxist Brothers", "Doornails", and "Seeing Double At The Triple Rock". If this album was stolen, I'd be like "fuck you! Give me back my NOFX CD." No, seriously, I'd go and buy it again. When I first heard it, I played it over and over again so many times that my iPod ran out of battery power. I recommend this album to just about anyone, but especially NOFX fans, as it's not just the same old stuff again.

ExDeath
    Leaving Jesusland....One of my favorites. This song is totally true. It's about how much most of this country's people are over here on the east coast
    Riverside and Orange county and Bakersfeild are in SoCal dumb ass not east coast jeezze get a map. This is without doubt my favorite NOFX album with Cool and Unusual punishment (im listening to it right now) and Doornails. Leaving Jesusland is an awsome song living in OC i see it all. The pure speed on this album is AWSOME.
    mikeskiboshski
    Yeah the song doornails in true. "these two shots are for derrick" is referring Derrick Plourde, a drummer most notable for his work in Lagwagon. He shot himself in 2005. "This Lager is for Andy" is a reference to Andy Crighton, a British bassist for punk group Leatherface and ska group Snuff. He committed suicide in 1998. "This beatings for Jimmy," is a reference to Jim Cherry, bassist of Strung Out who died in 2002 of a heart condition that was cause from prolonged drug use. "This patron is for Jason." is a reference of deceased vocalist, Jason Sears of Rich Kids on LSD. He died in 2006 of pulmonary thrombosis. "These doses are for Bomer" is a reference to Richard "Bomer" Manzullo, deceased drummer of Rich Kids on LSD. "This fix is for Bradley" is a reference to Sublimes lead singer, Brad Nowell, who died in 1996 of a heroin overdose. "This Ritalin is for Lumpy" is a reference to Chris Lagerborg, a notable musician and tech for bands such as NOFX, F-Minus, Rancid, and even Slayer. He died in 2003 in his sleep of unknown causes. "And this speedballs for Friday" is one that I cannot figure out sorry. "This nitrous hit is for Lynn and best friend Dobbs" is a reference to Snot vocalist James Lynn Strait, died in a car accident in 1998. Also killed in the crash were his dog and the bands mascot, Dobbs. Fun fact: "thanks for all that carpet and your songs" is a reference to Jim Cherry when he used to do carpeting. He would give free carpeting to punk musicians.