We Will Rise review by Noisy Oizys

Noisy Oizys: We Will Rise

If three Punks were to overdose on metal and come back as zombies then you would get the Noisy Oizys. Hailing from Atlanta, GA, the Oizys are a much needed breath of fresh air in a genre that has been stifled by leather jackets and liberty spikes. The "We Will Rise EP" is a five song demo that gives you a taste of what this band is capable of. I was lucky enough to see them open for The Casualties and they do nothing short of kicking your ass when they hit the stage. Catchy riffs, metallic guitar solos and solid drumming are met with a dark vocal performance that leaves you wanting more. The guitarist (Devie "Boston" McKay) plays great leads throughout except for maybe 2 tracks. The Oizys drummer (Mikey G.) has a steady hand but can blow your face off with faster numbers. A common ground between catchy Punk Rock and the blacker side of Metal is what this band has stumbled upon.

The lyrical content of "We Will Rise" has some shining moments but there are a few songs where the lyrics become less interesting and more typical of what you would find in a generic Punk band. The singer/ bass player (Bobby Blackheart) has a great voice that helps carry the album but some of his topics run dry real fast. The songs "Death Is Overrated", "Early Grave", and "Fashion Statement" have the best lyrics here but the other 2 songs have much less to say. Musically this band is impressive but they could be a lot better lyrically.

Overall, the Noisy Oizys deliver a death sentence to the term "just another Punk band". The "We Will Rise EP" is filled with guitar and bass harmonies that compliment each other nicely and the drumming is ace. Their singer is nothing short of pure hostility when he steps up to the mic. Unfortunately their lyrics need some work and there are some unnecessary parts in a few of their songs that could be shortened or cut out all together. I'm looking foward to their next EP which hopefully will make me regret I ever wrote this review. If you want something that doesn't sound like your friend of a friend's Punk band then pick this up. The best way to get in touch with this band is through their Myspace home page at http://www.myspace.com/noisyoizys. You won't be disappointed.