Lunar Poetry review by Nokturnal Mortum

Nokturnal Mortum: Lunar Poetry

This is Nokturnal Mortum's second album. It is very melodic and they used keyboards, choir sounds etc to put a lot of emphasis on that aspect of their music. When using other instruments some bands have trouble striking a balance so that the main instruments are not overpowered, but I think that Nokturnal Mortum found a good compromise on this album. The sound quality isn't perfect but as with most black metal music that is mostly beneficial to the atmosphere. Lunar Poetry has a cold feeling to it, it stirs up a lot of imagery of snow, pine trees and wolves when I listen to it, which is very enjoyable as it suits the music so well. It is also notable that the folk influence found on their other albums is not very strong on Lunar Poetry. In fact that is one of the reasons that I prefer this album to their others.

I can't understand any of the lyrics and have not been able to find them online. The singing however is good, it is very harsh and contrasts well with the melodic keyboards. The vocals change throughout the album so they don't become tiring over the course of the album. However for someone who is very much into lyrics in music it might feel like something is missing.

I love this album. Highlight songs for me are: Lunar Poetry, ...And Winter Becomes, and Perun's Celestial Silver. For someone who is not familiar with Nokturnal Mortum, this is the album I would recommend to start on. If it were stolen I would buy it again.

Der Meister
    Hail BLACK METAL ! Nokturnal Mortum has to be one of my favorite bands ever. This CD is amazing like all the rest.
    Rengori
    And also, the lyrics are missing because NM didn't know English very well at the time this was written are and are too embarrassed to put them up.
    SilentGhost
    This is a pretty solid album by one of the favorite black metal bands. Not the best one they put out, but still quite good. I just wish that all these black metal bands had better production quality.
    NocturnalFlesh
    I'm not hating, but I thought poor production quality was pretty much a trademark of the black metal genre. Aside from that, this isn't a bad album. Not by any means.
    2Old2Cold
    Emenius Sleepus
    2Old2Cold wrote: This is actual their second demo, not actual full length album. But anyway, yeah this demo is perfect. The sound is not that bad really, just has that tape hiss in the background, but it's not a problem. Nokturnal Mortum are seriously one of the best BM bands currently going, and always have been. My favorite album of theirs is definately NeChrist.
    still.. Black metal and doom made me look at demos in an entirely new way. They almost re-validated those releases for me. Hail Nokturnal Mortum!
    2Old2Cold
    This is not crap. This shits on most black metal bands, regardless if they are NS or not.