Bless The Martyr And Kiss The Child review by Norma Jean

• Released: Aug 13, 2002
Norma Jean: Bless The Martyr And Kiss The Child

Amazing. So incredibly unique and raw its hard to describe. This is Norma Jeans first album coming from their old band Luti-Kriss, and its much more different from Luti-Kriss, but don't worry 'cause they sucked (they sounded like Limp Biscut). All the songs except two just destroy you upon listening to them (in a good way). The other two are nice melodic partings from the albums overall art that take you down below the Mason Dixon line into pure southern craziness. It's great.

Lyrics are incredible, along with the vocalist (my favorite vocalist in hardcore today) Josh Scogin. His vocals always have some message in them that just takes a while to digest, disect and figure out. My favorite lyrics are in the song "I Used To Hate Cell Phones, But Now I Hate Car Accidents," mainly with the lines, "They're Walking To Wallstreet In A Straight Jacket" which I have come to believe as him saying these people have gone insane over money. Anyway, for a good vocalist or lyricist, this CD is for you.

Overall, this is my 2nd favorite album, next to Throwdown's "You Don't Have To Be Blood To Be Family." I am in love with Josh Scogins voice and and percussion section. Favorite songs are, all of them pretty much. If I had to pick like 2, id say numbers 2 and 8, but I hate doing that for its a injustice to the rest of the songs. If you like this album, and your looking for something like it (with the knowledge that the new NJ stuff sounds nothing like it), check out the Chariot, Josh Scogin's new band.