O God, The Aftermath review by Norma Jean

• Released: Mar 1, 2005
Norma Jean: O God, The Aftermath

Ok, 1st off, this album even before the creation of it, was said by the band not to sound anything like their former debut (as the band Norma Jean) "Bless The Martyr, Kiss The Child," whoes sound is unique to listeners who are just getting into the band, and even hardcore veterans. The guitarist of Norma Jean (I believe his name is Scott) said prior to the making of "O God, The Aftermath" that they were looking for a completely different sound thats more technical than "Bless The Martyr." With that said, "O God" is much different than "Bless The Martyr," not only intrumentally, but as most know, vocally as well with their new singer Cory. Personally, Josh Scogin (former vocalist) is my favorite vocalist in hardcore right now (not only cause of his voice, but also his stage show), but the Cory guy is still ok. If one were to categorize this particular sound, it would be under mathcore, dealing with complex time signatures and at times dramatic dynamic changes. This album mainly deals with what some would consider "insane" time signatures with several 13s, and 15s (only music theory guys know what I'm talking about there). Overall the sound is extremely different for Norma Jean, but not so much so considering its Norma Jean's second album, although its still different. Personally I love it, but since it shows the inconsitency in the song writing process I am forced to give it two grades, of which one I will put down. Compared to old NJ, I give it a 6/10, but for this CD as a whole, I give it.

The lyrics are also a change from the old NJ. Josh Scogin (not scrogin) has a very unique writing style, which is one of the other reasons hes my favorite. The new guy is good, but in his own way. I think though, that there are times were he attempts to force in anti-Bush which is extremely hypocritical considering there a Christian band (not saying all Pxians are conservative, but for the most part). Otherwise there pretty damn good, my favorite song lyrics being number 2, 6, 9, and 11 (not gonna go through naming them).

For bands right now, and albums recently released, this is among my favorite. I got into the band over the summer with "Bless The Martyr," so this was kinda different for me, but I still loved it. So many people are going out saying, o well it sucks 'cause it doesn't sound like there old stuff, which I can totally compare with, but to tell you the truth behind Throwdown's "You Don't Have To Be Blood..." and "Bless The Martyr," this might very well be one of my favorite albums, ofcourse not comparing to the old NJ. I just think of them as a new band, and the "Bless The Martyr" chapter is closed, and possibly re-opened elsewhere in the Chariot (Josh Scogins new band, check em out).