O God, The Aftermath review by Norma Jean

• Released: Mar 1, 2005
Norma Jean: O God, The Aftermath

When I first turned on the cd, I was scared. Not because of how aggressive the music seemed to be, I was scared that I bought the wrong cd, which I eventually discovered that I did. But, no matter, because Norma Jean's music turned out to be very well put together. The guitar style and tone is typical for Norma Jean's genre, but it all sounds very well produced. The guitar tone sounds great. The bass sounds great as well, and the drums don't override the music with double-bass pedal, which is great in my opinion. The music is generally fast, and once it begins, relentlessly pounds throughout the song. Only on track 7, "Disconnecktie" does Norma Jean show a little bit of peacefulness, but directly after the track is over, the music goes straight back into overdrive aggression. There aren't any solos, but I wasn't really expecting any.

The lyrics are pretty good, especially in a genre that seems to be out-of-touch when it comes to good lyrics. However, the singer barely stops yelling. There are only a few spots on the album that are just music, most of it is covered up by the vocalists screaming. This is a bad thing, especially since for one, it can get annoying, and for two, Norma Jean has a great music thing going on. Some of the vocals hint at trying to be catchy, but fail (except track 10 "Pretendeavor"). The only hooks on this album are music melodies.

Overall, this album is good. It's not amazing, but it's definitely better than most of the other stuff out there. If I lost this album, I would not buy it again. I would have probably been a little bit more impressed if I listened to more things in Norma Jean's genre. The music is great, the singing is okay. Next effort, the band should really considering taking the microphone away for a while, to let their true potential shine.

jonathanonfire
    This is math metal/hardcore/metalcore. Eh. Get it right guys. ..and Norma Jean DOES sing about religion, they just dont make it so damn obvious in their lyrics. Understand the meanings and concepts. They're amazing writers. Look deeper.
    Maggotkiller
    I agree man Norma Jeans lyrics are real deep great album best songs are IMO Dillemachine, Disconecktie, and Charactarantula.
    jasonkan
    i agree. ppl r just hearing the vibes of their ruffled grunts and howls but not analytically processing the genious lyrics. watever.
    SpedGangster
    Norma Jean is problay one of the most underrated Christian Bands because their hardcore but, they are amazing!