Redeemer review by Norma Jean

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Sep 12, 2006
  • Sound: 9
  • Lyrics: 10
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reviewer's score: 9.7 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.6 (125 votes)
Norma Jean: Redeemer
0

Sound — 9
Norma Jean. The band that everyone once loved, and now everyone loves to thrash. The bands third full length since they became Norma Jean entitled "Redeemer", is quite possibly the bands best effort to date. Many will not appreciate the structured sonic chaos that is Redeemer, while not as chaotic as it's two predecessors, it still packs enough of a punch to leave you breathless. The songs themselves are shorter than NJ is usually know for. The song titles aren't 5 million words long, but this album is in every sense of the word Norma Jean (I know it's two words, shut up). They have proved that changing your sound from album to album is not at all bad, and in some cases, can even be an improvement.

Lyrics — 10
This album is very awesome lyrically, Norma Jean has always had thought-provoking, well written lyrics. Their first CD (Bless the Martyr, Kiss The Child) featured Josh Scoggin on vocals, his unprocessed scream made people fall in love with the band, it was raw and felt like he was right there next to you screaming in your face. After BTMKTC, he left the band and was replaced by Cory Putnam. They then released O'God, The Aftermath, and Cory stepped up and proved that he was just as good if not better than Josh. But there are always those people that just don't like change, every since his joining the band, Cory has been trash-talked by BTMKTC fans (or Scoggin elitist, as I call them), about how he ruined the band. Well I'm here to tell you that Cory Putnam is an amazing vocalist. He really shines through on Redeemer, he retains his guttural, visceral scream, and really shows off his range with his melodic, singing parts. The changes in vocal styles on this record will really surprise and shock people. The lyrics themselves are quite good, with lines like:"You've given us user-friendly grenades, just what are you trying to say?" (from the album opener "A Grand Scene For A Color Film), and "Don't you dare insinuate me!" (from "Like Swimming Circles"). This is some of Cory's best work as a vocalist(Even though I do love the raw power he expressed on O God).

Overall Impression — 10
Redeemer is Norma Jean's best work to date. It just shows that a band can change up their sound, and still be completely amazing. I can't really say that their are any songs that I don't like. The most impressive on the album I would have to say are: A Grand Scene For A Color Film, Blueprints For Future Homes, A Small Spark Vs. A Great Forest, The End Of All Things Will Be Televised, and Like Swimming Cirlces(my personal favorite) Some of the songs kind of start of slow, but build to be equally as great as the others. If this CD was stolen, I would not hesistate to buy another copy, and if I ever found out who stole my first copy. I'd buy a Kelly Clarkson CD, and break it with their face!

131 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Alibi:Destroyed
    This cd is great and so is Norma Jean. I do like some metal bands but there is no way Norma Jean or any other hardcore band can be considered metal because metal is dead. Get over it. I know that there are probably a bunch of old guys who still think Ozzy is the greatest and that metal is going to come back that hate me right now but I don't care because they are all closed minded freaks who are still stuck in the 80's. Get a life instead of bashing the music you don't like. And for all those guys who do hate Norma Jean, Why are you even looking at this reveiw?
    AcrosstheTracks
    Here's an idea...how about someone posts another actual review about this album instead of spouting off childish and ignorant opinions, which by the way make you appear as a whining bigot who dosen't know d!ck about music.
    katman243
    plain and simple, new music sux ass, and all u people who listen to slipknot, korn, AND Norma Jean, need to die. there is NO musical talent in today's music. u need to go back and listen to led zepplin, van halen, black sabbath etc. 60's to the late 80's has all the musical talent. today's Punk And screamo Sucks donkey dick, And the definition of rock has changed, and needs To go Back BADLY!!!
    wd40s
    god people on this site are such winey bitches about what genre each band is, stop complaining about stupid shit
    <3isNotTheEnd
    just a thought... Who cares whether they're metal or hardcore or screamo-i agree, totally not screamo, the blood brothers are screamo-... All that really matters is whether you like the music or not! Am i right?
    <3isNotTheEnd
    aloveforenemies wrote: 1st. Norma Jean is Metalcore. Not screamo, get it right. 2nd. They haven't made a good cd since 2000's Bless The Martyr 3rd. Just cause they're Christian doesn't mean shit. They rarely sing about Christianity. Just like Zao on their new cd. Devout Christians but not preachers.
    ^hey im with you man
    <3isNotTheEnd
    metal4life66613 wrote: there is no god
    you're just trying to get attention, congratulations. you know what i've learned...people like you want to be told that God is real, or else you would've had no reason to post this. well im sure you've been told many times and you get to hear it again, God is real. Much realer than you. i mean hey, im a christian and i personally cant stand the whole in your face approach, but sometimes theres no other way.
    [NIN]_ROCK!
    They're not really innovators, but I LOVE their songs because they put all they've got on them. That's probably one of the main points where most of the bands fail. New album is awesome, just as I wanted it to be! Rock On!
    ironman316
    norma jean is metalCORE. there is a huge difference between metalcore and metal. metalica, slayer, pantera... thats metal. norma jean, throwdown, on broken wings, killswitch... thats metalcore. norma jean is sick. i can't wait to hear the new album.
    GetTheGasoline
    nothing could ever be better than bless the martyr and kiss the child. WOW. miss the old singer. the chariot's good. just miss his voice with the rest of norma jean
    Gorilla Fingers
    real metal died when the scene died in LA. No more Rainbow club...man does any body remember the good old days of strippers booze and awesome metal? All these things claiming to be "metalcore" have very little to no roots in metal...just because there is a shit load of distortion doesn't make it metal.
    el drew
    norma jean and tori amos should tour together, what a totally sick ass metal show that would be...
    Surrylic
    Arguing is pointless. I'm baffled as to why people are saying anything about screamo. NJ is pretty cool, but I'm not too much into hardcore unless I'm watching it at a show (and metal? I can barely begin to consider them that). As a side note: 1. When you are trying to say "you *are*", the contraction is "YOU'RE," not "YOUR." 2. It's suppose to be said "Norma Jean IS..." (not are) because Norma Jean is *a* band, which is singular. Just because the band is made up of multiple people doesn't mean you use their name as a plural term. You don't say "That group of people are playing music" you say "That group of people is playing music," unless you want to sound stupid. Just substitute band names for "That group of people" whenever writing it.
    Kaney
    katman243 wrote: plain and simple, new music sux ass, and all u people who listen to slipknot, korn, AND Norma Jean, need to die. there is NO musical talent in today's music. u need to go back and listen to led zepplin, van halen, black sabbath etc. 60's to the late 80's has all the musical talent. today's Punk And screamo Sucks donkey dick, And the definition of rock has changed, and needs To go Back BADLY!!!
    Thats your opinion. Get a haircut, have a wash and stop living in the past.
    rockstarbowker
    el drew wrote: listen i can post a comment wherever the hell i want to. plus, what good is a board if everyone is just sucking off the band that the review is about. also, until i saw this article i had never heard any norma jean songs. i checked them out, and i think their music sucks. I didnt read this review with a bias, and once i listened to the songs i came up with my own conclusions. thats why they have a f**king section for comments you mental giants, so people can speak their opinion. If you're upset because i dont like your little piece of trash band then get the hell over it. the website is called ultimate-guitar.com not ultimate-normajean.com, so dont tell me i have no place posting here just because you listen to a trendy, temporary type of music.
    Hey I wasnt saying that u cant have your opinion! I was just saying that it's pointless and a waste of time to try to get people to have your opinion too! So dont give me that crap!
    Dorito
    Stupid people. Norma Jean isn't screamo. Norma Jean isn't metal. Norma Jean is hardcore. Of course they wont stand in any ring of metal, their not trying to be metal, its hardcore, and damn good hardcore. If you dont like hardcore, why read a Norma Jean review?
    frontman54
    i think some people here should start typing like normal human beings. "ur", "u", "nuthing", "beta". come on people, it takes an extra two seconds to type the real words and it makes it a hell of a lot easier to read. it takes me more time to type [ilyk dis[/i]
    dyingbreed88
    Norma Jean is one of the few bands that can go out there and do what they do. To sing in an industry of depravity and this fascination with themseleves they have come and been one of the few bands to actually survive the way they are. They haven't conformed to the world's view of how they should be and they act the way they feel they need to. Last time I checked I thought that that was the whole thing rock music was about...don't care what they think and be yourself whoever that is. Norma Jean is awesome and they deserve respect whether you like them or not.
    rdm86
    you guys are all retarded. I sat here and read some of this stuff you guys have written and its rediculous. First of all el drew... trendy maybe that is your opinion and I can respect that, but temporary no. You should learn something about the band before you say anything. They have been around since 1999 as Luti-Kriss. And who ever said they were unoriginal was retarded. The "real metal bands" that you all speak of are the ones you should call unoriginal . I dont remember who said it but there are many bands that sound like slayer and iron maiden. how many bands can you say sound like norma jean? not many. Second of all whoever compared them to not being christian like zao was on their latest album is wrong. Zao, like as i lay dying are all christians, but they dont say they write their music based on christian beliefs, one of norma jeans songs is actually named from Joel 3:14 and if you actually listen you can pick up the religious messages. All of you guys who say they suck can piss off. You do not have to like a band to recognize talent, structurally the music is sound, it may sound like noise but it is arranged extremely well. I do not like a lot of "metal" bands but that does not give me reason to say they suck... i can still recognize and appreciate their talent anyway. I am not saying you guys are wrong because you dont like them, I saying you guys are wrong for saying this band sucks. So go ahead flame on, it will be a waste of your time. These points i have made are not based on my opinion but actual facts if you were to know anything about these bands before you rip on them them i wouldnt care. So you can make fun of my crappy sentence/paragraph structure but I dont care enough about what you think to take enough of my time to make this nice for you to read.
    blinnk16
    Dust&AshesInc wrote: ok, i generally don't post anything. but i'm sick of reading you guys and not saying anything. look, 1.) all of this is opinion...you don't need to get heated about it (my opinion). if you don't like what was said, FREAKIN IGNORE IT! they don't own you, they don't own your likes/dislikes, and they don't force you to listen to it (fact). anymore than i force you to give a crap about what i'm saying. this is MY opinion (fact). as you see, i'm all for people voicing their opinion. but you should do so as an opinion....not as fact (my opinion). 2.) i'm a recording engineer (fact), and the genre's of music are SO misconstrued now-a-days that we should just STOP trying to clasify things (my opinion). our music no longer fits any mold....because the molds no longer are concrete (my opinion). bands mix genre's and influences at will.....so our genre's are blured. to fix this, retards (opinion) come up with new names for the genre. but now all that anyone knows is what they think is "hardcore" or "metal" or "screamo". and if you ask 100 people to tell you what those genre's entail, you'll probly get 100 differant answers (my opinion). .....seriously people. this is way too much argument and discussion over something that is personal, a grey area if you will. some people will love it, some people will hate it, and some people just like starting fights (my opinion). who gives a crap about any of it (my opinion) , if you like it then listen, if you don't then....*gasp* dont.
    Yep, that sums it up *claps*
    Dust&AshesInc
    ok, i generally don't post anything. but i'm sick of reading you guys and not saying anything. look, 1.) all of this is opinion...you don't need to get heated about it (my opinion). if you don't like what was said, FREAKIN IGNORE IT! they don't own you, they don't own your likes/dislikes, and they don't force you to listen to it (fact). anymore than i force you to give a crap about what i'm saying. this is MY opinion (fact). as you see, i'm all for people voicing their opinion. but you should do so as an opinion....not as fact (my opinion). 2.) i'm a recording engineer (fact), and the genre's of music are SO misconstrued now-a-days that we should just STOP trying to clasify things (my opinion). our music no longer fits any mold....because the molds no longer are concrete (my opinion). bands mix genre's and influences at will.....so our genre's are blured. to fix this, retards (opinion) come up with new names for the genre. but now all that anyone knows is what they think is "hardcore" or "metal" or "screamo". and if you ask 100 people to tell you what those genre's entail, you'll probly get 100 differant answers (my opinion). .....seriously people. this is way too much argument and discussion over something that is personal, a grey area if you will. some people will love it, some people will hate it, and some people just like starting fights (my opinion). who gives a crap about any of it (my opinion) , if you like it then listen, if you don't then....*gasp* dont.
    RedNovember
    oh, and by the way, what's the point in being a "christian" band if you aren't going to convey christianity in your lyrics? Just a thought.
    RedNovember
    God damn, I knew there was gunna be a bunch of flaming going on. But not THIS much. I also noticed that screamo/emo/hardcore/fans, or whatever the hell it's called (I don't pay attention to dumb ass labels)can't spell at all. That's kinda funny. Anyway, no offense, but this band sucks, as does the entire genre. Wait, that was meant to cause offense. Whatever. But you do have to give them props for actually being a band and making millions. I'd love to be that successful. So until I am, I have no right to post my opinion. I think I covered myself from all sides from flaming, eh?
    S2S
    dougwagz wrote: I can name tons of bands that sound like Slayer but very few that sound like Norma Jean.
    That's because no one in their right mind would want[i] to sound like Norma Jean.
    jasonkan
    katman243 i bet ur lyk sum 80yr in spandex- grow a d*ck. norma jean are immense and are proper talent. as i sed norma jean are HARDCORE nt screamo, metal or post hardcore. plus their older albums are betta tbh.
    jasonkan
    n also those ppl sayin how norma jean are livin in the shacks with no $$ shud shut df up. so heres talent for u then: james blunt.
    swifty8083
    I wasn't a fan of Norma Jean before this album but they really cleaned up and found their sound. They still use like a million sour notes but they also finally got good production. I would reccomend this album to anyone who likes hardcore music.
    Jcocarooski
    Remember whatSweetDissonance wrote: Remember that winning a fight online is like winning the special olympics -- you're still retarded. well, plenty of you should be ashamed for genretizing music. wtf do you all do? listen to only one genre? i doubt it. this cd is just as good as the first 2 cd's, and if you don't like it go to a fallout boy concert or jack off to your megadeth poster.
    Mushok413
    ok why dose every one have to talk bad about Norma Jean i absoulutley love this album. For a band whos changed there name got a new singer and bassist they have kept it together very well. Btw there Metal-core with some hardcore influence. And who cares about people flaming there not metal... your right there a different genre idiot.
    burritos2
    but anyway i really liked the album i actually thought this and o god the aftermath were better than bless the martyr blueprints for future homes is a crazy song
    burritos2
    any 1 who is like every band 2day sucks old metal is the only good music are the most close minded idiots and are not open minded to music at all and i agree with whoever said slayer pretends to be satan worshippers 4 record sales
    Jcocarooski
    thank you. almost all people that are critical about music have failed themselves.
    Covin
    Unleashed wrote: Oops almost forgot. All music critics are failed musicians, thought all of you critics out there would like that.
    That's factual, but you can't stereotype them all. I do agree that it's 9 times out of 10 though.
    GetTheGasoline
    im pretty sure norma jean isn metal. im pretty sure they qualitfy as post hardcore, considering that a girl and i got in a tiff about whether norma jean deserved to be called hardcore. she said that because bands like dead kennedys, etc. were considered hardcore...i have to qualify norma jean, underoath, it dies today as POST HARDCORE.
    xKilltoBelievex
    I reckon it exceeds O'God the Aftermath , but just falls behind Bless the Martyr, Kiss the Child, Allround a pretty good album. Solid effort though. Just a thought, cant a hardcore/metalcore band bring out a new album and not have their fans/non-fans argue about metal and emo/screamo sounds? Alexisonfire said- "This shit isnt about pants, and this shit isnt about shirts and this shits definatley not about hair. Maybe Music isnt Dead, Maybe we all forgot what it ****ing sounded like"
    EmoxKid
    Uhh... I was Mostly Following what El drew said reading this whole damn thing that was very repetitive and well i thought it was pretty exciting, it was a regular two sided discussion(cant spell) Not screamo bad musicMetal died, blah blah blah Every one kept refuting the same thing and well it was quite funny, then annoying but hey noone asked me and well i Dont like Norma, although i could stand to listen to them, but for now im going to watch the stupid arguements go back and forth...
    Unleashed
    Oops almost forgot. All music critics are failed musicians, thought all of you critics out there would like that.
    Unleashed
    Alibiestroyed : This cd is great and so is Norma Jean. I do like some metal bands but there is no way Norma Jean or any other hardcore band can be considered metal because metal is dead. Get over it. I know that there are probably a bunch of old guys who still think Ozzy is the greatest and that metal is going to come back that hate me right now but I don't care because they are all closed minded freaks who are still stuck in the 80's. Get a life instead of bashing the music you don't like. And for all those guys who do hate Norma Jean, Why are you even looking at this reveiw? Well if this guys doesnt know what he is talking about I dont know who does. This is probably the guy who wants to play guitar and cant because his mom wont buy him one. Metal is alive and will still be for a long time to come, and for anyone who thinks metal is dead lets talk about a few of the more popular metal bands like Slayer who are still around or how about Metallica, oh God here comes the "Metallica sucks" comments, and Black Label Society. Anyways most of these bands out there now are just ripping someone else off, for example every band out there and yes every band are doing things Sabbath already has done. For those of you who think Im wrong then you truly do not know what the hell you are talking about.
    Covin
    SweetDissonance wrote: Remember that winning a fight online is like winning the special olympics -- you're still retarded.
    LOL
    Dobbin87 wrote: Norma Jean, as well as a few other popular bands in similar music scenes, are descendants and/or ripoffs of a sound that a band called Botch created. Norma Jean was never and should never be credited for being at the forefront of the genre. I am not commenting on the value of this album, because I have not listened to it, because I am not a fan of Norma Jean.
    I disagree. A band can create a sound that is appealing and very open to work with, but that doesn't mean it's accessible. I've listened to some of Botch's stuff, and I simply don't like it. I admire the effort and the art that's put into the music, but I don't care for it. Norma Jean on the other hand is catchier, more passionate (in my opinion), and definitely more accessible, and that's why they're much more popular. So many kudos to Botch for scouting the territory, but just as many to Norma Jean for building on it.
    dude488
    i liked it, not as good as their previous stuff but its still good.
    aloveforenemies
    Alright, listen up. Who cares if you hate them. They do what they do cause THEY like it. And people do go out and buy their cds, so they're signed and touring because of them. You shit-talking Norma Jean isn't gonna help anything, guaranteed that if they read this, they'd do nothing but laugh and agree with the shit-talkers to piss you off cause thats the kind of guys they are when I hung out with them last time they came to Long Island. If you say words like Sucking donkey dick or such, I'm almost positive you're under 15 years of age. And no talent? Actually you need to have alot of knowledge of technicality on the instruments to play metalcore, with all the fills and double bass on the drums, and even blast beats and weird timing patterns, and the technicality that their guitarists DEFINATLY have. I'm not really a big Norma Jean Fan, and the only cd i like is their first cd as Norma Jean (Bless The Martyr) but honestly, alot of you are arguing like girls over the internet over a subject that really doesn't need any arguing over. Half of you can't spell, a quarter of you have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about and the other quarter actually has a brain.