The Anti Mother review by Norma Jean

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Aug 5, 2008
  • Sound: 9
  • Lyrics: 9
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reviewer's score: 9.3 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.2 (58 votes)
Norma Jean: The Anti Mother
0

Sound — 9
This album definitely has a sound all of it's own. Norma Jean had always been described a huge Botch rip-off with all the dissonant technicality that they stole from them back in 1999. Norma Jean's "The Anti-Mother" is a fresh of breath air for the band, and is probably the best Post-hardcore, Mathcore, Christian Metal album released this year. Gone are the Both elements with a more 90's grunge metal sound. This band knows how to get brutally heavy while retaining real emotion, beautiful melodies, and catchy hooks. The guitarists easily find those chords that no one has ever stumbled upon. They still retain some of the Mathy guitar work that Norma Jean had always preformed, but it's more sludgier and less chaotic than on previous albums. I personally don't mind because we have lots of bands that sound like that anyway.

Lyrics — 9
Norma Jean is a christian band, but the lyrics aren't directed specifically to those of the christian faith. They write their songs to appeal to just about everyone. On this record however, the lyrics get personal, Cory Brandon the vocalist specifically. You can really feel the pain and emotion that comes with Cory's lyrics and vocal activities. A couple songs however (Murphy was an optimist, Left of Wrong) have some dumb lyrical content but the songs are executed well. The vocals are Screamed, Yelled, and Sung. Cory really has some pipes, he has some of the best vocals any hardcore singer has ever had. Cory's best performance though is on the song "Robots3 Humans0" were Cory really stretches his voice for some top-noth Trice style vocals. And to top it all off there is guest spots on this record. Def-Tones Chino Morino, and Helmet's Page Hamilton apear on this record. Not only do they sing but they help write the record.

Overall Impression — 10
This is some of Norma Jean's best work. I like Norma Jeans old material, but this really takes the cake. I haven't heard a good record like this in a long time, Norma Jean really steped up their game this time, but I do sort of miss the techy Botch style guitar work, but Cory's vocals make up for that. Check out songs like Robots3 Humans0, Birth of the Anti-mother, Self employed Chemist, Surrender your sons(w/ Chino Morino), and Opposite of Left and Wrong(w/Page Hamilton). If this lost or stolen I would buy it again or kill the S.O.B who stole it.

9 comments sorted by best / new / date

    plague_runner
    groupof1 wrote: Metalcore, mathcore, hardcore, noisecore, whatever word you want to use core. Who gives a shit what kind of "adjective"-core you call it. Either they rock or they suck. Norma Jean rocks. "Core"-heads suck. (you know who you are) It really isn't necessary to break things down so much. (What the hell is mathcore anyway)I remember when it was Rock, Metal, Death Metal, or Industrial. (Punk too)
    plague_runner
    plague_runner wrote: groupof1 wrote: Metalcore, mathcore, hardcore, noisecore, whatever word you want to use core. Who gives a shit what kind of "adjective"-core you call it. Either they rock or they suck. Norma Jean rocks. "Core"-heads suck. (you know who you are) It really isn't necessary to break things down so much. (What the hell is mathcore anyway)I remember when it was Rock, Metal, Death Metal, or Industrial. (Punk too)
    Idk whats with all the terms and crap but I guess "CORE" seprates itself from real metal. Mathcore by the way is metalcore with odd time signitures, poly rythmic drumming, and progressive style of guitar. I'ts a really chaotic genre. It's not exactly real metal though.
    GetTheGasoline
    norma jean DIED after bless the martyr. you cant go anywhere but down after the best post hardcore album of all time end of story
    lord_yggdrasill
    Great album. Everyone needs to shut their mouths and open their ears. Does it really matter what genre they are? They're different. Accept it like that.
    Bignose
    This album was pretty bland to be honest. I'm glad I didn't buy it because there wasn't a single song that jumped at me. I really don't see how this could get an 8 considering how much better O'god was, let alone Bless the Martyr. unless of course it was "reviewed" by scene fanboys.
    olheiser01
    I never really liked Norma Jean a whole lot until I heard this one. I thought it was pretty awesome. I actually really like his singing. its gritty and raspy but melodic. its different and cool. they definitely dont sound like your average band. as far as genres i refer to them as southern metal/hardcore. i believe it is in the metalcore family, just a different style which i like to call southern because its more gritty and raspy soundy. just my opinion.
    sexclamation
    plague_runner : plague_runner wrote: groupof1 wrote: Metalcore, mathcore, hardcore, noisecore, whatever word you want to use core. Who gives a shit what kind of "adjective"-core you call it. Either they rock or they suck. Norma Jean rocks. "Core"-heads suck. (you know who you are) It really isn't necessary to break things down so much. (What the hell is mathcore anyway)I remember when it was Rock, Metal, Death Metal, or Industrial. (Punk too) Idk whats with all the terms and crap but I guess "CORE" seprates itself from real metal. Mathcore by the way is metalcore with odd time signitures, poly rythmic drumming, and progressive style of guitar. I'ts a really chaotic genre. It's not exactly real metal though.
    I personally believe that all the "core" genres are actually metal. I think people got tired of how broad of a genre metal became and started creating sub-genres in order to easily figure out what type of music something is. Unfortunately it backfired and everyone jumbles the characteristics around from genre to genre. Cuz before metal was pretty much anything with heavy guitar and fast drums. Anyways I think this cd rocks. I can't believe the team review (what a novice). How can you say that the lyrics are unintelligible because of the way he screams? That is just a stupid statement. And I also believe that Norma Jean is more like progressive rock/Hardcore. Cuz before Redeemer they were more Hardcore than anything but then Corey started showing his singing voice off more (which I like). The band in general has a very unique way of playing. This is a solid effort from NJ and I hope to see more solid efforts coming from them.
    ratracekid111
    x_basskid_x wrote: Metalcore? Alright then, cause Norma Jean obviously sound like Killswitch Engage. I'm a big fan of Norma Jean and always found every album progresses which makes them stand out.
    haha you joking right?
    petey0707
    personally I thought the album sucked, as does most of their new material.