Till Death Unites Us review by Norther

• Released: Mar 27, 2006
Norther: Till Death Unites Us

Norther has a fairly unique sound, but at the same time you would have heard similar elements in other melodic/black/death/heavy metal bands. Norther's sound is energetic, dark, deep and epic. Petri Lindroos's vocals demand your attention with clear/crisp screams and growls. Kristian Ranta (Kride), pumps out aggressive guitar riffs and solos to keep the technical listener and headbanger happy. Toumas Planman largely helps Norther create it's epic sound with the addition of keyboard strings and solos. Till Death Unites Us is slightly different from previous albums because of a new theme for the band and a the introduction of Kristian Ranta's clean vocals.

Norther writes lyrics that obviously mean something to them but also are very relevant to the experiences of everyday people. Till Death Unites Us (or TDUU) deals largely with loneliness or more accurately the fear of loosing the ones closest to you. TDUU also deals with anger and apathy. Norther's lyrics are open to interpretation but can be realistically taken for their face value, this is more so apparent on TDUU than some of their other albums such as Death Unlimited. As mentioned above, TDUU is slightly different to previous albums because of the largely untouched theme of loneliness and because of the introduction of Kride's clean vocals which allowed their new theme to be accessed. Krides clean vocals (which are often harmonised) were first used recently on Norther's EP "Solution7."

I think that TDUU has one fault: there is too much bitching about feelings and not enough um, kicking ass! As per usual with their other albums. Having said that, in my opinion Norther have never released a plain crap song. I'm not sure which is my favorite song, but Everything, Omen, Scream and F--k You are pretty good, but it is hard to decide because they are all good. I intend to actually buy it for myself ASAP. I give it 8 because there a little too much bitching and not enough kicking ass.

_3Lm0_
    well yea, they have elements of bodom. I was ttired when i wrote this review, so it didnt come out exactly as i wanted it to. But close enough anyway.
    GaryM30
    superb album, nice review. Shame I can't understand a word Petri says. The music is gr8 tho'
    Lee Mc
    i think they sound like children of bodom but i aint heard the new stuff, ill have to check it out
    vIsIbleNoIsE
    "I think that TDUU has one fault: there is too much bitching about feelings and not enough um, kicking ass!" yea!
    WarlockMeister
    I can't say I'd heard norther before this release. I took an interest after hearing Petris new work with Ensiferum (which kicks some major ass) and I've never been a big fan of anything with brutal vocals but I'm really starting to understand its charms now. Not keen on the clean stuff actually but thats my opinion. I love the track Norther
    c0bhc
    vIsIbleNoIsE wrote: "I think that TDUU has one fault: there is too much bitching about feelings and not enough um, kicking ass!" youre right in a way, its more emotional. but i still love the music yea!