Mesmer review by Northlane

• Released: Mar 24, 2017
Northlane: Mesmer

In the growing trend of metalcore acts cultivating post-rock elements for an outlet of melody (i.e. Architects, The Contortionist), Northlane have been one of the better examples of this dynamic sound. Having slowly integrated these melodic traits into their metalcore base in their earlier albums, the Australian quintet took a chance by putting even more focus on those textural aspects of their songwriting in their third album, 2015's "Node." A significant sonic adjustment like this has been the undoing for other bands, but for Northlane, it succeeded with flying colors to push the band into proper prog metal territory.

Now surprising their fans by dropping their fourth album, "Mesmer," months before its originally scheduled release date, one can hear Northlane evening out the melodic qualities of their previous album with the metalcore aggression of their earlier albums. Most obviously, the band takes the spotlight away from the ambient aspects and trains it back on their energetic metal output, where techy riffs in "Colourwave," "Intuition" and "Render" punch up the band's instrumental talent that was relatively back-seated in their previous album. And while they keep some of their post-rock traits from before (heard in the well-layered "Citizen" and the shimmering "Savage"), other textural moments draw influence from electronica, like the synth arpeggio in "Zero-One" taking a page from trance music, and the Comaduster-esque vibes weaved into the hammering prog metal gear of "Paragon."

"Mesmer" also shows Northlane taking moments to be more upfront with their melodic inclinations. With frontman Marcus Bridge putting forth a stronger clean vocal presence, his toplines set the tone for the upbeat and cheery "Fade," and carry their own with the skilled guitar/bass riffing in "Solar." Only in a couple cases do Northlane make some noticeable fumbles - Bridge's vocal power fails to play the saving grace for the song's lackluster metalcore licks in "Heartmachine," and "Veridian" nearly breaks its own back by trying to haul an overloaded breakdown.

YouTube preview picture

Bridge's lyrics in "Mesmer" continue his penchant for critiquing the banalities and insidious functions of modern life. Along with the general anti-establishment baying in "Intuition," and angst towards the dullness of today's culture in "Zero-One" and "Render," Bridge indulges more timely topics, like the appreciation for Edward Snowden's revelatory whistle-blowing on the NSA in "Citizen" ("Heroes exposing / Corruption in who we obey / The whistle blows from a burning stake"), and the grim portrait of global warming ruining the planet in "Solar" ("Silenced by the solar winds / Forests evergreen wither to sand"). Bridge also focuses on the fragile desires of finality and escape in a world so bleak - the eulogy to an unnamed friend in "Fade" touches upon the sensitive topic of suicide ("And the price that I have paid / When I watched you pass away / Is the everlasting pain"), and the last dialogue between an elderly mother and son in "Veridian" addresses the morality of euthanasia ("I never wanted to grow so old / Life's agony, turn off the machine / Let me die with dignity").

Not wanting to continue nurturing the strong post-rock influences of their previous album, "Mesmer" is Northlane's more straightforward approach to decorating their metalcore backbone with melodic qualities. Some of those upfront melodic aspects may be interpreted as treading the line of pop metalcore, which may raise a red flag for some listeners, but with the band bringing back more of their skilled instrumental work, and keeping a grip on their loud/ambient dynamic songwriting, "Mesmer" is another solid step forward.

travislausch
    Gotta say, I really enjoyed this album. I only really started getting into them with "Node", so I'm really happy they're continuing in a similar vein.
    noodles_wazaman
    I think you can tell they punched this album out fairly quickly. The riffs and melodies are all solid but they don't do anything too ambitious in terms of the songs. Having listened to it about 10 times or so, most of the songs don't feel too distinctive. In saying that, these guys now do what Karnivool (taking an eternity to release an album...) and Dead Letter Circus (devolving into middle of the road rock) do, except better. Adrian might've been a better metal vocalist, but the band can do so much more with Marcus.
    EpiExplorer
    Can tell they 'borrowed' a lot of design influence from The Algorithm, especially in terms of electronic elements and album art.  Still not impressed because Skyharbor still exists.
    Redfinton22
    Would you be impressed if Skyharbor broke up? I don't understand
    EpiExplorer
    No, I'm implying Skyharbor is a band that does essentially the same but in a way that's better/more original/more interesting/relevant to me, so I'll go for them over something that doesn't do come up to snuff i.e. Northlane.
    d.sharpe1095
    The Algorithm and Northlane are vastly different, not to mention that The Alorithm isn't the first of their kind.
    EpiExplorer
    Missing the point, 'borrow elements' is not the same as 'directly sounds like'.
    d.sharpe1095
    I took the 'borrowed' to be sarcasm, and thought you were insinuating they were ripoffs.
    EpiExplorer
    Could be but I'd never know, more likely that they saw the same niche as Skyharbor and went with it which isn't a bad thing.
    VinnyChinny
    But a lot of bands nowadays are doing that whole "abstract tesseract/3d shape but also 2d" album art. If you looked at their previous album arts, there's a cube in like everyone of them.
    Warbeard92
    Not trying to be nit-picky, but I don't think Marcus ever really wrote lyrics on Node. Pretty sure it was Josh who wrote the majority of the lyrics and Marcus came in and worked on vocal melodies. That may not be the case with Mesmer though.
    noodles_wazaman
    Yeah pretty sure I read a comment on YouTube from Josh saying 'they' re-wrote lyrics for Citizen about 6 or 7 times. Fairly certain he has a lot of input.
    HugoPan
    I miss something about the old layout: we could see the genre of the album, but now we have only 'sound, lyrics, impression and score'. Wish I could have at least an idea of where i'm getting into. that said, these samples sounded alright. since I love post-rock elements, I'll sure check them out.