Rot [Single] Review

Northlane: Rot [Single]
Released: Nov 28, 2014
Genre: Melodic Metalcore, Progressive Metalcore
Label: Rise Records
"Rot" is the first single by Northlane with the new vocalist Marcus Bridge after the departure of Adrian Fitipaldes.
 7.9
 7.8
review (1) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Rot [Single] Reviewed by: vppark2, on may 15, 2015

Sound: Towards the end of last year, Northlane had a sudden departure in lead vocalist Adrian Fitipaldes. Whether you're a fan of the band or not, losing the lead vocalist to any band, especially after 2 major albums in this case, and helping pave the road as one of the best unclean vocalists in this scene is truly tragic. I couldn't believe my eyes, as I had yet to see them live. I personally didn't care for Adrian's clean vocals live. They definitely weren't hitting a high point from the YouTube videos I had watched. A new vocalist could make or break the band. So they decided for people to put up auditions of "Quantum Flux" or "Dream Awake," but if I recall correctly I believe it wasn't limited to just those songs. The next few weeks Northlane fans were left wondering who they would choose. After those few weeks past, we finally got an update. The band had chosen who is joining, but we still wouldn't know for at least another week, since they had been shooting a music video and would rather announce the vocalist there. They had chosen Marcus Bridge. I hadn't really heard his covers so I checked them out, and honestly just thought he was decent. But after listening to "Rot" for the first time around, I found myself agreeing with comments saying that Adrian is better, but at the same time, I found the cleans to be at least 75% better than Adrian's. YouTube comments saying things such as "THIS BAND HAS NEVER SUNG BEFORE" I found laughable. Adrian definitely tried to sing on basically every chorus of almost every track. Also, I had seen these guys recently open up for August Burns Red, and they weren't bad. I only got to see part of their set though, but they seemed alright, it might take some time for Marcus to get used to it and get better. They rarely comes to the states so hopefully they come back soon and tour once their full-length album is out whenever that is. // 8

Lyrics: "So cold my soul's numb
Like an icy breeze on solstice morning
The worst enemy's one that's homegrown
This is more than just a faceless warning

Don't let the world rot
Hanging by a thread they just putrefy
Our blood our birth our sky
And we will not stand by
Don't let the world rot

So warm the sun burns my soul
Like the fossils in the earth they take my breath

Black blood bleeding heart filled stone
Take the power away from the hands of death

A web of minds connected

Take purpose, Take action
Cause a reaction
Entangle the spiders
Make sense of this mess
A mind at large
Is a power they can't repress

We are one you and I
Yeah we will not stand by

Omnipotent mind at large
Sick of living underhanded
This is our life we command it
Go

A mind at large
Is a power they can't repress

Sick of living underhanded
This is our life we command it." // 8

Overall Impression: I'm not sure if I can compare this to anything during the Adrian era, but it's definitely a breath of fresh air. Marcus isn't trying to copy Adrian either. Only time will tell he could be just as good, if not better than Adrian. This album is one of my most anticipated releases, and they're saying it should be out by the fall time. For now, I'll continue listening to this track, even though it's not the best thing ever, it gets the job done. // 8

Comments