Singularity review by Northlane

• Released: Mar 22, 2013
Northlane: Singularity

This album is already but a few months old but I discovered that there was not a review up for it so I decided to write one myself. That being said this album is nothing short of great. To start things off about the sound. Yes, it is metalcore, yes, there are breakdowns. That being said the bar is raised here for many of the bands that associate themselves with metalcore and "djent" or progressive metal. The guitar work is impressive, drums are spot on, bass is still quiet (haha) and the singing is phenomenal. The guitars are even lower than the last outing, getting down to Drop F at times. The guitar sounds massive on this record on songs such as "Genesis" and "Scarab," but there are also beautifully written passages like in the song "Quantum Flux." One thing I noticed about their sophomore LP was the less dependence on breakdowns. They are still presence but they are no chugga-chugga riffs for minutes on end. This makes for an interesting and memorable listen.

The lyrics are a definite high point for me. I really enjoyed the way the singer/screamer, Adrian Fitipaldes, wrote and delivered the lyrics. They are catchy, but not poppy and they use clean singing tastefully. Obviously there are no soaring pop choruses but there are definite lyrical moment that will be etched into your skull. The screaming is out of this world, the gutturals are intense and the "yell" type vocals really express great emotion. While the clean singing is sparse it does fit nicely within the song. Adrian Fitipaldes knows his singing range and he keeps the singing mellow for the most part.

Personally, I thought this was a great album in a time with 500 bands all trying to do the same thing. There's breakdowns and pedal riffs, there's double bass and complicated rhythms but the way everything came together was magical at times. Everyone shows great excellence at their craft and this makes for an exciting listen. I would suggest this for people who enjoy heavy music. I believe there is a little something for everyone on this disc. The lyrics are a standout because of how well they are written and I really cannot wait to see this band live and what they do next.