Singularity Review

Northlane: Singularity
Released: Mar 22, 2013
Genre: Metalcore, Post-Hardcore, Progressive Metal, Experimental Metal
Label: We Are Unified, Distort
"Singularity" is a vast improvement from Northlane's debut album "Discoveries" while still keeping everything that makes them stand out perfectly intact.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 3,189
Singularity Reviewed by: zef0214, on june 05, 2013

Sound: This album is already but a few months old but I discovered that there was not a review up for it so I decided to write one myself. That being said this album is nothing short of great. To start things off about the sound. Yes, it is metalcore, yes, there are breakdowns. That being said the bar is raised here for many of the bands that associate themselves with metalcore and "djent" or progressive metal. The guitar work is impressive, drums are spot on, bass is still quiet (haha) and the singing is phenomenal. The guitars are even lower than the last outing, getting down to Drop F at times. The guitar sounds massive on this record on songs such as "Genesis" and "Scarab," but there are also beautifully written passages like in the song "Quantum Flux." One thing I noticed about their sophomore LP was the less dependence on breakdowns. They are still presence but they are no chugga-chugga riffs for minutes on end. This makes for an interesting and memorable listen. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are a definite high point for me. I really enjoyed the way the singer/screamer, Adrian Fitipaldes, wrote and delivered the lyrics. They are catchy, but not poppy and they use clean singing tastefully. Obviously there are no soaring pop choruses but there are definite lyrical moment that will be etched into your skull. The screaming is out of this world, the gutturals are intense and the "yell" type vocals really express great emotion. While the clean singing is sparse it does fit nicely within the song. Adrian Fitipaldes knows his singing range and he keeps the singing mellow for the most part. // 9

Overall Impression: Personally, I thought this was a great album in a time with 500 bands all trying to do the same thing. There's breakdowns and pedal riffs, there's double bass and complicated rhythms but the way everything came together was magical at times. Everyone shows great excellence at their craft and this makes for an exciting listen. I would suggest this for people who enjoy heavy music. I believe there is a little something for everyone on this disc. The lyrics are a standout because of how well they are written and I really cannot wait to see this band live and what they do next. // 9

Singularity Reviewed by: This Kid, on june 05, 2013

Sound: Northlane's softmore album "Singularity" is a vast improvement from their debut album "Discoveries" while still keeping everything that makes them stand out perfectly intact. What is most appealing about Northlane is how different they are. While certainly in the realms of progressive, they have a unique feel and a great sense of space and rhythm that really sets them apart from everyone else. "Singularity" is also quite diverse and each track feels similar but unique, and different from the rest. They can go from the crushing riffs and brutality of "Worldeater," to the the light feeling and spaciousness of "Quantum Flux," without either feeling out of place. All the tracks hit hard and have a very heavy feel; it's impossible to stop headbanging. "Singularity" has a way of feeling completely fresh and yet nicely familiar at the same time. // 9

Lyrics: Vocalist Adrian Fitipaldes does wonders providing deep introspective lyrical themes. "Quantum Flux" is all about looking for the good in life with the line "Why can't you see the joy of life is right before your eyes?" being the main hook. This song preaches the message of trying to find contentment in your life. The title track "Singularity" features a spoken word philosophical quote about the importance of an individual; a theme which is shared across the album. Adrian also tries new things vocally. His range of screams has improved and his deep growls sound fantastic. He also comes out and sings on "Quantum Flux" and "Aspire" and it fits in perfectly. He does have some weak points. Some of his lyrics don't hit all that hard and the song "Masquerade" sounds a tad pretentious. That being said it's really not that big of a deal. Overall this album is very lyrically inspired and provides an interesting philosophical standpoint that challenges who we are and what we are becoming. // 8

Overall Impression: Fans will be pleased to hear that Northlane hasn't changed at all stylistically. You'll still hear djenty chugs with juxtaposing high discordant licks, and amazing vocals and drums. They have certainly evolved though. I can honestly say there isn't a weak track on this album; every song sounds different to the last, while keeping that Northlane feel. Northlane have certainly cemented their place in the metal community with this brilliant work. I can highly recommend "Singularity" to anyone wanting a fresh progressive sound mixed with a metalcore feel.

// 9