En Ny Tid Ar Har... Review

artist: November date: 03/09/2012 category: compact discs
November: En Ny Tid Ar Har...
Released: 1970
Genre: Hard Rock, Acid Rock
Label: Sonet Records
Great dose of that lovely kind of rock and roll coming from the early 70's. To me, this is a lost rock and roll gem, and I recommend anyone interested in the genres cited before to check it out.
 9.4
 8.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
En Ny Tid Ar Har... Reviewed by: iommi600, on march 09, 2012

Sound: Great dose of that lovely kind of rock and roll coming from the early 70's. These guys managed to put together bluesy guitar licks and a typical hard rock rhythm provided by a very competent rhythm session with softer stuff, even including flute sessions. You know, this mix of hard rock and progressive rock was really been done a lot back then, but in my opinion, few managed to put it all together like these guys. Sometimes it remembers me from some heavier stuff coming from Jethro Tull, for an example. The opening song to this album, "Mount Everest", is a good explanation of what I'm talking about here. Firstly, comes all that bluesy guitar work, then in many moments a smooth flute takes the song by assault. It's just that kind of album that shows his identity since the first track. There's also isolated moments for each element present here. There's songs here that are totally "hard blues" stuff like "Varje Gng Jag Ser Dig Knns Det Lika Sknt" (Easy name, huh?), and things like "Lek Att Du r Barn Igen", in which the flute work just gives it something very special. It's also astonishing how these guys had such a powerful sound, but they were only a trio, which consisted of Bjrn Inge on drums, Christer Stlbrandt on bass and vocals and Richard Rolf on the guitar. Sadly, these guys only recorded two more albums before splitting up circa 1973. To me, this is a lost rock and roll gem, and I recommend anyone interested in the genres cited before to check it out. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. // 9

Lyrics: So, speaking about the lyrics, I can't really comment anything about them because these guys actually sung in their first language, which is swedish, and I don't really understand a single word. "Mount Everest" is sung in english and talks about women, though. Speaking about the vocal performance, I think this guy's voice here is good enough. Nothing really impressive, out of this world, you know, but he actually does his job very well. Sometimes it sounds a little shy to me, but that's far from bothering me. I just feel that it could be more powerful to match up with the heaviest parts, because his soft voice fits really nice in the slow, soft flute/acoustic sessions. // 8

Overall Impression: So, 'nuff said here. I'm pretty sure that if you're a fan of this hard rock/progressive mix, you will totally dig this. Like I've said before, this here kinda reminds me of the heaviest stuff from Jethro Tull, where the heavy blues meets the flute. I would highlight "Varje Gng Jag Ser Dig Knns Det Lika Sknt", "Mount Everest" and "Lek Att Du r Barn Igen" as the most impressive songs here, but honestly, this album does not have a single mistake for any fan of that 70's sounding. If you're interested in the genres cited before and never listened to this, go and do it now, because you don't know what you're missing! // 9

Comments