Materia review by Novembre

Novembre: Materia

I found this band in iTunes by searching out from Opeth. Upon first listen to them, I was in love. Transitioning in every song from soft, beautiful acoustic work to death metal, with a hard rock tinge, there was almost nothing this band wrote that could not catch my interest. The acoustic sound itself is absolutely stunning, without flaw, it simply needs to be heard more often in other realms of music. In the vein of Opeth, Novembre often shuns away from the death metal 'chug' and plays more chords and strummed passages. Solos, are likewise, not shreddy, but follow a gorgeous melody that punctuates the song as a classic in my mind. The collective sound of this band is purely angelic, I doubt a soul would hate this band. The sound crafted by this band is something I feel missing from modern music in all genres.

I've come to find that this band is summed up as a prog goth death metal band, which I would agree with. I was impressed mostly at how the singer was able to mesh his lyrics into the sound of the instruments behind him. This must have been a daunting task for the vocalist as the sound of the instrumental parts themselves would be more than enough for me to buy it. Though, what was created in the end, is nothing short of pure masterpiece. From a lulling, dreamy clean voice, through a death metal voice of grade B quality, based on that it often sounds more like a hardcore scream at times I thought the vocalist performed exceedingly well. Everything coalesces beautifully, though, as I was expecting a death metal band as well, the hardcore(ish) scream that is often heard did at times annoy me, but only for a few listens. Keep in mind, this band is Italian and often ties in Italian lyrics. I, being unfamiliar with that language, simply cannot analyze every word for critique, but it does fit orgasmically with the music.

Personally, I felt this band was a lighter, more hard rock influenced version of Opeth, with shorter songs. Though, note for note Novembre sounds nothing like Opeth, nor take great influence of Akerfeldt's work. Featuring more chord heavy passages, blissful melodies, delicate acoustics, this album is as said before a masterpiece. The most impressive songs I feel are Verne, Jules, Geppetto, Materia, and Croma. These songs stood out to me as not exactly being so far superior to the other songs on the album, but they demonstrate best the overall sound of Novembre. I personally recommend buying this album, even if you pirate music, this is the type of talent that truly deserves the actual sale of it's art. As a side note, Novembre has a second album out entitled The Blue, in which their sound is sculpted into something even greater than this one. A sheer stroke of brilliance, I've even written a few of my own songs in the vein of them and they are above all others, my favorites.

tommyg_99
    I just did some research, Materia is their sixth album, The Blue is their seventh. Have fun finding the other albums!
    hethamulburton
    Yes, it is the sixth album, but it is also one of the more widely available. I am trying to find an outlet for their older ones here in the States.
    progbass
    Yes, as stated by Tommyg, this is their 6th album. I have all their albums, save the second one "Arte Novecento". I have heard it though, and I must say it is the best. Most people that like Materia should check out either Novembrine Waltz or Dreams D' Azur (which is a re-release of their debut album, remixed and recorded with a different bass player)
    Spoony_Bard
    This is a really cool band. I'm having a hard time getting a hold of their albums, but I listened to The Blue a few times, and I really enjoyed it.
    tommyg_99
    I got The Blue today, I'm quite enjoying it. I prefer the clean vocals though. As you said, hethamulburton, the growls are a bit more like hardcore screams.
    rubbieh
    Materia.....FFVII anyone? haha. That game pwns, but cant say so much for this band. Pretty generic.