Hangin' Nothin' But Our Hands Down Review

Release Date: 2007
Label: Sargent House
Genres: Indie Rock
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Hangin' Nothin' But Our Hands Down Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on april 27, 2007

Sound: Nurses make theatrical-pop liken to Mika and Of Montreal on their debut album Hangin' Nothing But Our Hands Down from Sargent House Records. Produced by Jason Cupp (The Elected, Valley Arena, Finch), the album is filled with upbeat imbroglios, High School Musical-style vocal projectiles, synth-sounding guitar textures, and chorus line rhythmic kicks. The opener And Now The Curse Of Marjorie has emo-sheen vocal curls, dips and wax-slides and orchestral dynamics producing synth-rock scenes with a 30 Seconds To Mars sensibility. The sinuous stroll of the vocal dramatics have a likeness to Marc Bolan on Alone At Last basking in jangly synth chambers liken to Klaxons. Nurses rhythmic action and agility is cheerful and shimmers with colorful vibrations reminiscent of Queen. There is a gypsy-punk vibe in songs like He Gots and Hunger Mouth and a glint of Lady Sovereign-laden electro-pop flickers on It Came In A Flash. The long vocal strides and velvety textures on Wait For A Safe Sign are laced with wafting knolls and fantasy-like synth crescents. The cabaret-pop track Way Up High has reflections of the Dresden Dolls and top hat splashes liken to the Dolls drummer Brian Viglione. The vocals are loose and bluesy on Dem Leaves and have funky grooves on Act Now, You're King. The band also plunges into a session of acoustic country-folk and soft punk on Marching In Places creating a sparse melody with ukulele textured strums and dance-punk beats. The vocals whip these songs into shape making them attractive sing-along tunes. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics adhere a fantasy version of reality. The words make observations, addressing the changes that one's personality undergoes during life's transitions like how innocence becomes tarnished by family traits and outside influences which damage people's relationships. The track Hungry Mouth has that theme with phrases like, When she gets off work tonight/ When she gets those bruises, don't you know it's 'cause I made her my wife/ I earned it/ Where'd you get that hold on me/ It's like a firework sitting in my family tree/ When I grew up I was a shining white pillar of salt/ I did not know it was the same white falling to the earth. // 8

Overall Impression: Nurse's music is both stylish like Mika and Of Montreal and very original and creative. The band does not try to sound like anyone else, it seems like they simply wanted to make music to help them deal with their own lives. Their way of coping was to make upbeat synth-rock scenes with a lot of electro-pop pizzazz and springy punk. But how the band members Aaron, John, Bobby, and Charlie came up with their band name Nurses has yet to be discussed at their myspace page. It may have a fantasy twist spawn from reality like their very delightful biography. They have a way with narrating reality. // 8

Comments