Stories Of A Stranger review by O.A.R.

• Released: Oct 4, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
O.A.R.: Stories Of A Stranger

The album starts strong with "Heard The World," one of the best tracks on the record. "Love And Memories" is another great track, and it shows a new side of OAR. In the middle, "The Stranger" is a great song, but everything else is dissapointing until the very last track, "52-50." It shows that OAR is doing everything it can to prove they're just as good in the studio as they are live, and they certainly didn't reach that goal. For the most, the sound on this album is overly-produced, which has never been a problem with OAR in the past.

Marc Roberge could certainly do better. He has written great lyrics in the past, and nothing on this album compares. He's a very honest writer, everything comes from the heart, and many of the songs reflect that. However, many of the lyrics don't match what we've seen Marc do before.

OAR is trying to be something it's not. Marc reminds me of Mark McGrath throughout "Daylight For Dog." Maybe no one else sees it that way, but his vocals seem like that on that song. I love his vocals on Love and Memories, along with the great music, but that is one of the few high points on the album. "The Stranger" and "Heard The World" are the songs that are most true to OAR's sound, along with the epic "52-50." Songs like "Wonderful Day" and "Lay Down" seem to only work live. I, personally, thought that OAR proved they were a great studio band with "In Between Now And Then," but in this record it sounds like they're trying too hard to match that or exceed that record's quality.