Definitely Maybe review by Oasis

• Released: Aug 4, 2009
Oasis: Definitely Maybe

Definitely Maybe is probably the best Debut album ever written. I'm not saying this because I am an Oasis fan, but for what it meant to many many people and as Noel Gallagher once said "We've caught the spirit of what was missing in a lot of people live's." Any doubt? Hope not. Oasis created a significant and transcendental album that showed the world what they were capable of. It a few words: Definitely Maybe defined the '90s (yeah, probably along with Nirvana's Nevermind). It is not very difficult to say how this band sounds: Oasis sounds like Oasis, that simple. Obviously, you'll find some of the Beatles in their music, some of the Stones, Sex Pistols, Stone Roses, T-Rex, and so and so not because they copied all those great bands, it is simply because you can't reinvent rock & roll, the reason: it is not dead yet, and probably will never be. Definitely Maybe is Definitely Definitely more Rock than the following ones. It has this "careless" feeling we all experience once in a while (especially for all of us that are still young, don't get me wrong though no one is old if they don't want to). Awesome chords progression, catchy riffs and solos that will hook you up and won't leave your head for a long, long time. I can't tell you which is better in this album: the guitars or the vocals. I think both complement each other, because the instuments all together could sound amazing, but if it doesn't have the right voice, it's useless. R'Kid really makes a huge difference, his voice is unique, but Noel Gallagher is the genius behind the masterpiece: main writter and compositor, so I guess he deserves most of the credit here.

The lyrics are just brilliant, even Digsy's Dinner. Honestly. All the songs are just about "shagging, drinking and taking drugs" (Noel really knows have to express it) and some other stuff, of course. These 11 songs are majestic sing-a-longs thanks to their universality, they really express the whole meaning of "youth." Songs like Rock 'N' Roll Star, Bring It On Down, Cigarettes & Alcohol, Supersonic, Up In The Sky, Shakermaker, Digsy's Dinner and Columbia are a good example of that. Some of the Topics in Definitely Maybe: trying to find out who you realy are and what are your aspirations, achieve your goals, make your dreams come true, party, drinking, confusion, not having much money, psychedelia, equality, freedom, social comments, England, people and people, experience things for the first time, and I better stop or this will be veeery long. The other tracks left deal with the concept of love and friendship. Slide Away is about love itself, how Noel broke up with his girlfriend when he had to move to the city (if I can remember well), really touching. Married with Children is a funny story about spending your life with someone that you "love," it's basically about people's girlfriends, someone you just can't get on with very well, but in the end someone you can't live without. And finally but not least, Live Forever, the best of the tracklist and my personal favourite Oasis song. It is about Noel's Mom, but it really fits for any kind of relationship, not only with girls. It's about high aspiraions in life "Maybe/I don't really wanna know/how your garden grows/'cause I just wanna fly," respect, never giving up, and reciprocal care. "We see things that they'll never see/You and I are gonna Live Forever", wow, only very close friends or twin brothers can say that to each other. This song is the signature of Definitely Maybe. I don't think there is any better Oasis song than this one. Period.

There is no 'weak' track here. You can hear it from the beginning to its end and you'll feel like playing the CD again. It does have that power. I'll be honest, the first time I heard this album, I was just blown away. The structure and simplicity of the songs is just impressive. You can grab you guitar, even if you are a novice, and soon you'll find out these are not "difficult" songs to play (You can believe me in that one). Even the cover has something very special. It has many many little details you have find just like the music, which makes it perfect for Definitely Maybe, it's like the music and the cover are inseparable. Definitely Maybe was recorded three times, three times. And I guess it was it was worth, not only because they wanted it right, it had to be it, otherwise they wouldn't be what they are now. This is their best work to date. Well, what else can I say? This album meant and means so much to me to the point that I bought the DVD to celebrate the 10 year Anniversary, and probably would buy both the CD and DVD again just for the pleasure of owning them. Cheers. Mad Fer It.

Mcassidy42
    Ok, you said it was the best album ever...but you gave it a 8.7. You must not listen to music
    HurricaneSG
    the sound is great but easy to play.. lyrics arent bad and the impression is just awesome
    Crash91
    It is a great album, but not Oasis' best. '(What's The Story) Morning Glory' is much better, also 'Don't Believe The Truth' is better.
    Crash91
    It is a great album, but 'What's the story morning glory' is much better.