Definitely Maybe review by Oasis

• Released: Aug 4, 2009
Oasis: Definitely Maybe

Oasis is my favourite band. I should probably say this before really getting this review started. There, done that bit. In 1994 British music was in a state of decline, there were no major bands and the world was still recovering from the grunge music of America that had dominated the early nineties. This debut from a young group of Beatles obsessed Mancunians changed Britain's musical landscape. Spearheaded by lyricist and guitarist Noel Gallagher and the sneering Lennonesque vocals of his brother Liam Oasis single handedly created Britpop. Not especially pioneering but they soon had the whole country on their side. This first album is swept with seemingly nonescencial lyrics, physcedelic rushes and memorable hooks. The album manages to sound like The Beatles, The Stone Roses and The Sex Pistols rolled into one. As a whole is louder than future Oasis records. It's raw and flows with Liam's vocals at their early best. A true rock 'n' roll sound.

Noel Gallagher is an excellent lyricist. His lyrics don't essentially mean anything at all but his ability to pin them onto catchy tunes make the album great. The lyrics to second track 'Shakermaker' seem ridiculous on examination but the tune makes a truly memorable song and 'Cigarettes And Alcohol' is made up of borrowed hooks and riffs but Gallagher makes them his own with the lyrics. Managing to change music to fit with lyrics and vice versa shows up what a truly great songwriter Noel Gallagher is. His brother Liam's lead vocals help as well. Sneering and Lennonesque, he makes mediocre lines come up and keeps the album alive throughout the dodgy parts, such as his humourous rendition of Track 9, 'Digsy's Dinner'. The brothers together are what make Oasis great.

The album compares heavily to other great British rock bands from The Beatles to The Rolling Stones and The Sex Pistols to The Stone Roses. But it's rawness isn't like any other album I've heard. You are forced to believe everyword that Liam Gallagher speaks here and the guitar parts become instantly memorable. The most impressive track is 'Live Forever', recently voted #1 song of all time in a Q Magazine poll, it really hits home and Liam delivers it like nobody else could. Other standouts include the opening track: 'Rock N Roll Star' and lead single 'Supersonic' as well as the attitude track 'Cigarettes And Alcohol'. I love this album. I find it really hard to criticise anything on it. But to be honest one thing it could do better is the flow of the record. It seems to start and stop constantly and isn't one of those albums you could listen to every day of your life or even every week, like Oasis' follow up '(What's The Story) Morning Glory? And the novelty of 'Digsy's Dinner' does nothing for the album merely slowing it down while tracks like 'Columbia' and 'Slide Away' merely go on for too long. Still it's one of my favourite records of all time and trust me is truly brilliant.