Dig Out Your Soul review by Oasis

• Released: Oct 6, 2008
Oasis: Dig Out Your Soul

For many people, the return of Oasis to the frontlines is cause to break out a bottle of Bolli Stolli champagne, since it has been Oasis' music that folks from around the world have grabbed onto as if it was their life-support. The band's forthcoming release Dig Out Your Soul is the band's seventh studio album and their first new music since the release of their 2006 hit single Lord Don't Slow Me Down, which was featured in the movie by the same name and directed by Baillie Walsh. Produced by Dave Sardy who also produced Oasis' 2005 album Don't Believe The Truth, Dig Out Your Soul is a collaborative effort among the band members, which includes lead vocalist Liam Gallagher, guitarists Noel Gallagher and Gem Archer, and bassist Andy Bell. There are a few tracks that will remind fans of the band's earlier days like the sleet of soft swirling melodic motions and slinky vibrations cast through Falling Down and the moody inflections of Ain't Got Nothin' but the exotic middle eastern overtones of To Be Where There's Life have shimmery psychedelics that wrap the listener in an altered state of being with slightly warped intonations and chains gilded in echoing cymbals which is unlike any of Oasis' previous works. At times, the music feels like it has tapped into new sources of inspiration mixed in with the band's old wells of trippy riffs, searing vocal moxie, and Brit-pop bearings which make up The Shock Of The Lightning. The vintage rock tazers and hard rock ridges in The Nature Of Reality and Bag It Up brick the rhythmic grooves with well chiseled formations while the slurring lines of Soldier On move like a blurry haze of fog. The slow moving bluesy keys swimming in the underbelly of The Turning and I'm Outta Time produce a subliminal aura as the rattling tambourines in The Turning and the seraphic moving string arrangement in I'm Outta Time wander wistfully. The heavy anvil-heeled rhythms of High Horse Lady and Waiting For The Rapture give the album substance and a firm backbone, while shifting the album away from it's Brit-pop pageantry and hypnotic whistling.

The lyrics have a hypnotic ringing as well which complement the whispery shadows like in The Shock Of The Lightning. The song was penned by Liam Gallagher whose voice roams over the swells, Comin' up in the early morning / I feel love in the shock of the lightning / Come in, come out / Come in, come out tonight / Love is a time machine / Up on the silver screen / It's all in my mind / Love is a litany / A magical mystery / And all in good time.

Oasis' new album Dig Out Your Soul cannot miss with the band's diehard fans. The album has enough of the old Oasis to appease them, and just the right amount of different influences to draw in new admirers. Formed by the Gallagher brothers in 1991 in Manchester, England, Oasis has sold over 50 million records worldwide. Their love affair with rock music seems far from being over by the sounds of Dig Out Your Soul, and for many folks, that is just fine by them.

wiggy1988
    Nightmare4560 wrote: Oasis Suck lol , prefer heavier stuff tbh
    what a completely useless thing to say.
    katanaking
    supersonic23
    supersonic23
    supersonic23 wrote: Sucks that Oasis will never be big like the Morning Glory days anymore. But in any case this album is great! Can't wait for December 3rd!!!
    At least in America I mean
    tyler487
    i like the new sound, it grows on u the more i hear it im outta time is definately 1 of the best liam has wrote
    cartlidge1993
    I'm not about oasis there good yeah, but too many chavs when you say to them do you like rock and they say yeah, and you say what bands they normally say: Oasis, Linkin Park etc. in no way am i saying there rubbish but i can't listen to them as much just because of there audience, stupid yes? but my thoughts
    MusicMustChange
    i think the best songs are bag it up and falling down. i'm outta time is classic oasis style, but maybe too chippy. shock of the lightning is too simple and repetitive. to be where there's life is maybe the only alternative track, and i like it. nature of reality is a boring blues, soldier on and ain't got nothing are shitty. get off your high horse lady is built around 2 simple chords, maybe they wanted to emulate the beatles, but THEY ARE NOT THE BEATLES! waiting for the rapture is the same as five to one by the doors and the turning reminds me devil woman by cliff richard, so i've deleted this two songs from the album. i hate plagiarisms. definitely, two good songs, the rest is shitty or boring or repetitive or plagiarized... NOEL! START GETTING DRUGS AGAIN! STOP LIAM AND THE OTHERS FROM WRITING!
    strat335
    the new album takes some gettin used to. There aren't any britpop style songs, but some of these are gonna sound HUGE live (The Turning, Shock of the Lightning).
    Drift85
    This review blows! Noel wrote the shock of the lightning!! This album deserves a 9/10 score.
    Dan H
    Altered_Carbon
    The second best Oasis album? Yes. Waiting for the Rapture, the Turning, and High Horse are such amazing songs.
    earlscourt95
    Without a doubt the best album Oasis Mach II has turned out. Still waiting for another Definitely Maybe/Morning Glory but this album is undoubtedly a step towards the heydays of the 90s. Gonna be a mega world tour. Dec. 17th will be too...
    joshua122593
    great album but i like their 90's albums especially (what's the story) morning glory?
    FinderofNemo
    wiggy1988 wrote: Nightmare4560 wrote: Oasis Suck lol , prefer heavier stuff tbh what a completely useless thing to say.
    Yeah no kidding.
    KB22
    curmudgeon7
    HeartandSoul wrote: I walk through the convenience store at the bottom of my college, and I always hear really bad rap songs (like that one where the guy sounds like he hiccups after every syllable) and I'm tired of it. If I could hear The Shock of the Lightning while I'm standing in line it would be a happy f**king day.
    Hang on in there my friend. Soon, rock will take over the world again and those talentless monkeys will disappear. Great album by one of the finest bands in history.
    Perpetual Burn
    KB22 wrote: katanaking wrote: Dan H wrote: 1. Oasis kick arse 2. It does sound different, but those who don't listen to them would say it sounds the same. As I would say I think the new Metallica song sounds the same as the old ones, dont mean i'm right, cos i dont really listen to them. 3. Oasis would have that brick before you would. 4. Noel wrote shock of the lightning 5. "dont know if you are aware, but Oasis aren't a heavy metal band... that ever cross your mind? so listen to those and comment on those, u haven't matured enough to understand Oasis." Oasis are genius but so are metallica... just cuz u like oasis doesnt mean u can try other genres like metal etc. Also many metallica songs are less heavy than an average oasis song. Sorry, but i think Battery and Master of Puppets are just a tad heavier than Bring it on Down or Morning Glory, two of Oasis' "heavier" songs
    There's a song called nothing else matters, you might have heard of it. It's softer than...a mouse.
    dagiff
    Shock of the ligtning was written by noel I'm outta time, Ain't got nothin' and Soldier on are written by Liam
    TheMarsClyro
    I shall be seeing them soon at Wembley Arena, hopefully should pick this album up before then.
    Lemmon
    Waiting for the rapture and Im Outta Time are obviously the best songs on it
    FaceTomorrow
    I like it. Very good album even though Aint Got Nothin and High Horse Lady arent all that.
    intention_craft
    "psychadelic rock"?? really? i honestly dont understand the oasis thing, the new song sounds like all of the others...
    slash=king
    noel wrote shock of the lighting, not liam, "obviously the best" because that's your opinion? so everyone else must agree obviously i happen to with i'm outta time but i prefer shock of the lightning to rapture
    Lemmon
    The whole idea of this comments thing is for opinions. Didn't you get the memo?
    Beefmo
    For many people, the return of Oasis to the frontlines is cause to break out a bottle of Bolli Stolli champagne.
    Or a brick.
    Hungry_Hameds
    Nightmare4560 wrote: Oasis Suck lol , prefer heavier stuff tbh
    dont know if you are aware, but Oasis aren't a heavy metal band... that ever cross your mind? Love the new song, nothing massively different to older stuff but the last album had a freshness to it and this seems to as well, glad they are still rocking out!
    kaptink
    intention_craft wrote: i honestly dont understand the oasis thing, the new song sounds like all of the others...
    No it doesn't... Anyway i'm just glad that Oasis have got back to writing good ( well better at least) material with this album and the last. Noel just needs to squeeze out a few more good rock songs.
    maclondon
    in the well and in the badly, oasis are always oasis. they will not die ever. w oasis
    sambargun
    hellmankf : oasis suck balls What a wonderful opinion. Hate pseudo-metal maniacs who act all heavy. The new album is good, nothing exceptional. Good trip still.....
    SH3RR3D
    mweh i fink there turning into status quo myself this is better tho so least there going in the right direction now.
    arnob_oblique
    watsee
    I'm really not impressed by this effort. I am quite a big Oasis fan aswell, I have all their back catalogue and been to see them but this album does nothing for me. I seriously don't know what the brothers Gallagher were thinking really. There are some decent tracks but nothing that stands out. Sorry lads but better luck next time.
    sanviduca
    IT'S FEELS LIKE CHAMPAGNE SUPERNOVA. I LOVE THE ALBUM, I FEEL LIKE THOSE MID-90'S HAZE WHEN THEY FIRST BURST TO FAME.
    HeartandSoul
    wiggy1988
    I have to admit this album is growing on me massively. I'd easily rank it equal or higher than Whats the Story Morning Glory and its far better than Don't Believe the Truth (which was a good album in itself) This definately deserves more than 7, definately not maybe