Don't Believe The Truth review by Oasis

• Released: May 31, 2005
Oasis: Don't Believe The Truth

Oasis' experimentation with sound, tried on some of their earlier albums (SOTSOG in particular) has now shown increasing development and sophistication in 'Don't Believe The Truth', such as the change in dynamics from loud and electric instrumentation to the solo guitar in 'Turn Up The Sun', one of my favourite parts of the album. Not trying to put down any of the other newer Oasis albums (I am a huge Oasis fan! ), this album appeals particularly because of the softer, deeper sound than Heathen Chemistry and SOTSOG. Just as the Beatles developed their music to meaningful, dense musical masterpieces in 'Revolver' and 'Sgt Pepper's', perhaps this is the beginning of the transformation to true musical masters, similar to the Beatles, for Oasis!

Again, as mastered on '(What's The Story) Morning Glory', the contrast between Noel and Liam's voices is superb, in particular from 'Guess God Thinks I'm Abel' to 'Part Of The Queue' and during 'Let There Be Love'. However, I believe an underlying message of a reunion or peace between Noel and Liam is evident in the lyrics ('Let There Be Love', a song about loving, not fighting). My much admired jumbled, drug-induced John Lennon-esque lyrics of 'Be Here Now' have disappeared, but what they have replaced seems to suit this different style of music Oasis have created.

This album is worth getting just to see how Oasis has evolved as a band and musically from 'Definitely Maybe' to now. One of the downsides to this album is the first single, 'Lyla', which I think is a huge letdown as it is just repetitive and boring (sorry to everyone who likes it) compared to songs like 'Turn Up The Sun' and 'The Importance Of Being Idle'. The contrasts and the change in atmosphere between songs (thanks in part to the whole group writing music) is also something special and significant. My favourite, and in my opinion most underrated song by reviewers thus far, has to be 'Guess God Thinks I'm Abel', which truly shows Liam's writing capabilities. Although sounding a lot like REM's 'The Great Beyond' (another good song, although I believe Noel holds a strong distaste for Michael Stipe), it has to considered as the gem of the album. The grand finale, 'Let There Be Love', shows a soothing, comforting and loving side to Oasis not really experienced before (possibly in 'Stop Crying Your Heart Out'). I hope, as I am sure all Oasis fans do, that Oasis' music continues to develop further (and become more frequent! Although, I would much prefer quality over quantity, as shown in this fantastic album).