Heathen Chemistry review by Oasis

• Released: Jul 1, 2002
  • Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Oasis: Heathen Chemistry

At one point in my life I absolutely loved Oasis, it was around about 1995. The pure genius of Definetely Maybe(which contained Columbia, one of the greatest rock and roll song ever written) and the progression of Whats the Story(Morning Glory). Back that up with some of the best B-sides I've ever heard (Masterplan,Aquiese,Talk Tonight) and I really believed that Oasis where the best thing since the Fab Four. All this changed however, with the 1997 release of Be Here Now. Although the album sold like crazy in the U.K, it was only on the strenght of reputation, not on the actual music. What was more suprizing was almost every official music critic gave it rave reviews, they obviously where not Oasis fans, because anybody that had followed Oasis from the start knew that this album was almost an insult on the previous two. Then came Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants in 2000 and with it came another barrage of mediocre songs from the lifeless Go Let It Out to the awful I Can See A Liar. They tried to end the album with an anthem in Roll it over, No-body listned. The only saving grace from this album was a song called Gas Panic, which made me think that Noel still had something to offer, I almost brought me back to the glory days of Definetely Maybe and on the strenght of that one song I purchased Heathen Chemistry, hoping for some kind of redemption. How wrong I was. Hindu Times is the first song and I was pleasently suprized, an uplifting song that actually rocked, my mind wandered again back to the past. As the song ended I was thinking to myself Ok Oasis, nice start, now lets keep this rock and roll train going, but thats where it ran out of track. Listning to songs like Songbird(a Liam song) and Force Of Nature actually made me sick, this is not the Oasis I once loved, this is not the reason 250,000 people crammed into Knebworth to hang on every note. It actually makes me sad to listen to such rubbish, because at one point Oasis where a massive influence on me. If Oasis decide to make another album I think Noel should hire a songwriter. In conclusion Heathen Chemistry is below Be Here Now in my opinion, which does not say much for it at all. P.S. A note to Noel - In the words of Micheal Corleone "You broke my heart, you broke my heart".