Standing on the Shoulder of Giants review by Oasis

• Released: Feb 28, 2000
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Oasis: Standing on the Shoulder of Giants

I have to say that I've just heard this album after a long, long, long time before writting this review. Don't get me wrong, I really really like Oasis for many many years, it is my favourite band. I guess I have heard this album just 2 or 3 times since I bought it in 2000. The reason: it is definitely not the album Oasis promised that were waiting since Be Here Now, and definitely not the best way to "begin the new millenium". I don't think Bonehead and Guigsy leaving the band was the reason this album wasn't so good, in my opinion, it's because they forced everything to release a new album, even the songs. True, they used new sounds, effects, heavier guitars for some songs, even tried some "Hallelujah" chorus (which really sucked and made the music worser), but it didn't really bring anything worth listening to this new album. Even the B-sides weren't what that good.

The lyrics are just average, they show Noel still can write good songs, but obviously there's one or two songs like "Gas Panic!" or "Who Feels Love?" that save the rest. I couldn't say the lyrics are more mature, but they definitely show another perspective about responsabilities, growing up, sadness, remorse and regrets, and love itself. Also, there are some lyrics that are basically just random ideas, such as "Go Let It Out", "I Can See a Liar", "Put Yer Money Where Yer Mouth is". Liam wrote a song for this album, "Little James", his first but that's all I'm going to say.

SOTSOG is not a bad album, but it was good enough to keep them alive in the music business. I think that's respectable. I hear once in a while that some people say this is the best album Oasis has ever released, but I guess it is just because either this is a very good album (in their opinion), they have bad taste, or they just didn't listen to Oasis before they bought it. It doesn't really matter what the reason is, because Oasis remains as one of the greatest bands ever and that's all that matters.

djnugent
    my fav oasis album. and clearly "roll it over" and "sunday morning call" have the best lyrics ever.
    webby
    djnugent - i agree about sunday morning call, amazing lyrics i think its one of their best albums