Standing on the Shoulder of Giants review by Oasis

• Released: Feb 28, 2000
Oasis: Standing on the Shoulder of Giants

All together, this is a very different Oasis album. Oasis maintain their swagger and self belief, but this album is a lot more psychedelic and experimental. There is also signs of electronica shining through. Noel has stated that he "worked harder on that album than anything before and anything since." Oasis had lost two founding members, (Bonehead and Guigsy), and hired a new producer (Mark Stent) to replace Owen Morris, so this album is much different from 'Definitely Maybe', '(What's The Story) Morning Glory?' and 'Be Here Now'. It is easy to see a more mature sound here. Songs such 'Go Let It Out', 'Who Feels Love? ' and 'Gas Panic!' all sum up the change in direction. However, some tracks such as 'I Can See A Liar' fail to inspire. Despite the change however, the main sound of the album is hard not to get hooked on. Definitely a good result of not the easiest of times.

The lyrics are again different from the previous Oasis albums. I find them an improvement on many previous songs, and are sutable for the new change in style and direction. I found myself hooked on 'Gas Panic!' after hearing the delivery and quality of the lyrics. The drink and cigarettes seem to have taken it's toll on Liam though, his voice has became more gravel-ly and rough which is visible in this album. Noel's voice, however, is strong on tracks such as 'Where Did It All Go Wrong?'. Liam's fist song-writing attempt is on this album, a song called 'Little James'. This is written for his stepson, yet the lyrics on this aren't exactly above par. The way the lyrics are delivered in 'Go Let It Out' helps to create an anthemic, stadium sound. Altogether the lyrics are a more mature attempt, and Oasis have been fairly successful with them.

Overall, I regard this as one of my favourite Oasis albums. I find it underrated and surely deserves a place in any Oasis fan's record collection. However, it fails to match up to the standard of 'Definitely Maybe' and '(What's The Story) Morning Glory?'. Tracks such as the thundering 'f--kin' In The Bushes', 'Go Let It Out', 'Gas Panic!' and 'Who Feels Love?' all deserve a listen. I love the way that Oasis can still produce a great album through difficult times with only three members. The tracklisting is great too, with 'f--kin' In The Bushes' opening the album and 'Roll It Over' closing it. I would definitely buy it again if it were stolen.

Crystal_Baller
    djnugent wrote: my fav oasis album. and clearly "roll it over" and "sunday morning call" have the best lyrics ever.
    Man you couldn't be anymore right about those 2 tunes just amazing
    Jalopy1919
    how did this album get so much grief, awesome CD oasis's darkest CD but also their most honest. Who feels love has got to be my favorite tune ever by them.
    swave75
    My two favorite Oasis songs. The solo on "Roll it over"...breath taking...