Salvation review by Obey the Brave

• Released: Sep 12, 2014
Obey the Brave: Salvation

Canadian moshers Obey The Brave returned in 2014 with their second album titled "Salvation" following up their debut album "Young Blood." Although formed from former members of successful Canadian hardcore bands, Obey The Brave is making their own legacy with continued production of good music. "Salvation" continues in the same vein as "Young Blood," but has a little different flavor in some areas. I find that this release has a few more classic hardcore elements such as; fast power chord strummed verses, group vocals and chest pounding breakdowns shape a more traditional sound which a lot of hardcore fans have been craving for years. Track six titled "Back in the Day" sounds like it could have been written in the early '90s. It features awesome vocals and group singing that reminds me quite a lot of H2O's style of group singing. It also features a pretty traditional song structure of verse, chorus, verse, chorus, breakdown which makes the track very enjoyable and one of my favorites. The track also features a very audible bass guitar line throughout the verses which again sounds very H20ish and very cool. Throwback hardcore elements aside, the really heavy qualities are still there and very prominent in the sound. Breakdown and overall sound is a great mix between Hatebreed and Parkway Drive.

Lyrically speaking, the titles tell you pretty much all you need to know about each track as no new ground is broken to be honest. There is little in the way of deviation from the traditional hardcore mainstays, though Alex Erian possesses a suitably abrasive delivery in front of an onslaught of expertly performed group vocals. Referencing "Back in the Day" again, the lyrics are almost nostalgic of years past.

"Remember back in the day
It was all good
No one understood
It was all fun and games
It was all good…
Where have you gone my long lost friend?"

"Salvation" is a continuation of their first release "Young Blood" and the band is definitely pointed in the right direction which a bright future ahead. The classic punk/hardcore elements are a very welcomed theme in this release. I would recommend it to fans of H20, Hatebreed and Parkway Drive but really any fan of fast and heavy music shouldn't have a problem appreciating what Obey The Brave is doing. "Short Fuse" and "Back in the Day" tend to be my favorite tracks, but the album as a whole does not disappoint.