Cause Of Death review by Obituary

• Released: Sep 19, 1990
Obituary: Cause Of Death

Obituray's 2nd album, Cause Of Death, released in 1990 at the peak of early death metal, captured fine, intense death metal at its best. Obituary was one of the leading bands in the Florida death metal scene of the late '80s into the early '90s. This was the follow-up album to 1989's Slowly We Rot. Obituary used full force death metal techniques and styles to create one of the most complete, intriguing albums in the genre's history. Heavy, down-tuned guitars and growling death vocals are the icing on the cake that is one of Death metal's finest works. The instruments are heavy and doomy sounding, but when required, the guitarists Allen West and Trevor Peres pick up the pace and preform thrashy, shredding riffs and collosal solos. Vocalist John Tardy's growls are enhanced on some parts of the album, and if you have the remastered version, with the demo versions and the album final recordings, you can compare, and see the difference between natural and enhanced vocals. In Tardy's case, there isn't much difference. This album has some parts that could be improved, but the creativity of the riffs and sculptures of the sound make some songs stand out more than others.

Bands in the death metal scene have made it popular to sing about gore and death and the like, and one of those bands is Obituary. They certanly have it down. John's lyrics rival those of Cannibal Corpse as far as most gruesome and gorey. Songs like my personal favorite "Chopped In Half" really accentuate how gorey lyrics can get. About half way throug the album, shockingness of the lyrics sort of tones down and your not as amazed by "Death, death, dying, dead, gore, blood." The lyrics fit well with the music also, although John might as well be singing about little puppies because you can't really understand what he's saying 50% of the time anyways but the goriness really shines through and the lyrics are somewhat creative. Vocalist John Tardy really could have been the reason that they call death metal vocals "Death Growls" because he can really growl well. Death metal vocalists who shine through are few and far between, and Tardy does extremley intense, underated vocals, even before they are slightly doctored by effects.

This album is a death metal classic and should be owned by any purist of the genre. It is just as classic as Deicide's Once Upon The Cross, Morbid Angel's Altars Of Madness, and Cannibal Corpse's Butchered At Birth. The most impressive songs on the album, and my favorites are Chopped In Half, Dying, and Cause Of Death. I love 90% of this album, although I would advise listening to the album in parts, so that you can really appreciate every song for how awesome it is. I would definitley buy this album again cause I don't know how I could live without it.

MXFNCK
    Great album, my favorite DM album. But where's James Murphy? He played the leads!
    sevenchurches
    You should use more flowing language in your reviews. It was good though Also, James Murphy played lead on this album :S Anyway I absolutely adore this album.