Xecutioner's Return review by Obituary

• Released: Aug 27, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Obituary: Xecutioner's Return

There's just something about Obituary's brand of death metal that hits you like a ton of bricks when you hear just one of their songs. They've always stood out in death metal history as one of it's most kick ass bands. And for good reason, their music was always brutal, John Tardy's vocals just as brutal, and they weren't so insanely fast that the songs became meaningless noise. However, this is probably Obituary's weakest effort of their entire career.

They didn't write them down, and sometimes John has these really fast vocals, which can make it even harder to understand what the hell he is saying. Key words to stand out like "Evil Ways" and "Inside Your Head". I've never really been a fan of John's vocals, yes they are brutal and fit the music great. But I've always thought there might have been someone who could do better.

The only song that really blew me away on this album was "Evil Ways". It is an insta-headbanger. The opening riff and then that solo at the beginning is just insane. Hard to describe in words. "In Your Head" and "Blood Shot" were also good songs. But I think most people would just listen to "Evil Ways" and then just skip through the rest of the CD. Comparing to past Obituary albums, Xecutioner's Return is not a good name for it. It just dosen't seem like Obituary. You can tell some of the songs were written in about 5 minutes and they didn't take the time to really think about the song writing like they did on "Cause Of Death". If it were stolen, I wouldn't buy it again. In my opinion, it is a very weak death metal album and it is especially dissapointing because it is coming from legends "Obituary"