Cosmogenesis Review

Obscura: Cosmogenesis
Released: Feb 17, 2009
Genre: Progressive Death Metal, Melodic Death Metal
Label: Relapse
When I hear something from Retribution, my first thought it "Man, give something from Cosmogenesis!"
 Lyrics: 6.5
 8.8
 8.3
 9.2
Cosmogenesis Reviewed by: Aggro, on october 05, 2010

Sound: Obscura is a technical progressive death metal band from Germany. The album "Cosmogenesis" was released in 2009. The sound is very tight, it's very much like Necrophagist (well, Christian Muenzner (Guitar) and Hannes Grossman (Drums) moves from Necrophagist to Obscura, so it isn't suprising). Guitars deliver very fast, technical riffs. I like how Obscura is giving bass the place it deserves in a band. The bass is very hearable, and it blends very good with the music. The solos are shred. You can hear a lot of sweep-tapping there. But it isn't soulless shredding, the solos are written very much, they add a lot of epicness to the music. This album is a beast. Technical death metal mastery. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are, as the title says, about the space. I don't care about them very much, but they're written very well. Steffen's vocal skills are insane, he can do lows, mids and highs very well. And he does. And he plays guitar at the same time! But, I'm a huge fan of double vocals (Like Dying Fetus.). // 9

Overall Impression: Retribution is nothing when compared to Cosmogenesis. It's just diffirent. But when I hear something from Retribution, my first thought it "Man, give something from Cosmogenesis!". In my opinion, the best songs are The Anticosmic Overload, Universe Momentum, Orbital Elements, Noospheres, Cosmogenesis, and Centric Flow. There are 2 guest appearances on the album. The solo on "Cosmogenesis" track is played by Ron Jarzombek. I don't know anything about the second appearance. I can't find any flaws here - this album is perfect! // 10

Cosmogenesis Reviewed by: drummer420, on november 23, 2010

Sound: The best way I could describe Obscura would be tech death metal with elements of nintendo music. Cosmogenesis is a great album unlike anything I've ever heard. These guys were not afraid to push the envelope to bring us something new and exciting that has never been done before. You get exactly what is expected out of Hannes Grossmann (former drummer of Necrophagist) with his unpredictable style of blast beats and off beat timing. I would recommend the album to any fan of tech death metal. Cosmogenesis gets a 9/10 from me. // 9

Lyrics: Vocals were decent but not really what shines in this band. I found I was more blown away by the music itself. The singer changes it up in a couple songs but for the most part his growl are the same as anything else I have already heard. The lyrical content is very deep and was hard for me to comprehend. I did not quite understand the meaning of most of his songs. I will give him credit for at least writing about something other then worshipping satan and gore you certainly wont find any of that on an Obscura song. Maybe some people might get it but for me it was very deeply poetic and hard for me to connect to the meaning of these songs. As far as lyrics go I would have to rate this a lot lower despite the fact that I really enjoyed the album. // 4

Overall Impression: I found the best songs on the album were anticosmic overload and incarnated. I love that Obscura made an album that you can't really slap a subgenre on. Call it tech death metal if you want but it's a really strange style of music in a good way. The legend of zelda meets a less brutal Necrophagist. I have no complaints other then the vocals sound kind of the same as a lot of other death metal bands. That is not his fault though because you are only limited to so much originality with death metal growling. I noticed he threw a little bit of singing into choir of spirits I thought it sounded really cool and would have loved to see a little more of that on the album but it is still acceptable. // 9

Comments