Contagion review by Oceano

• Released: Nov 9, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Oceano: Contagion

Oceano returns with their sophomore effort, "Contagion." On their debut album "Depths," I was mainly taken aback by the hammering gutterals of the band's frontman Adam Warren. Nowhere before have I heard such deep and crushing vocals from any other band in the genre (some call it Deathcore, I just call it metal). They reach a new level of brutality on this album, with the first obvious change being the two new guitarists, Devon Shidaker and Nick Conser, who each bring something new to the table when looking at their last effort. None of their riffs are groundbreaking, mind you, but they are refreshing to say the least in this band's case. Instead of the long, drawn-out notes that comprised the solos of "Depths," Devon and Nick implement some sweep picking, which really mixes it up between the cliche palm-muted riffs. The bass, Jason Jones, is drowned out within the guitar, sadly. The drum work by Daniel Terchin has seen some progress (he's no George Kollias) but he display masterful control over his instrument. Overall this sounds like what you would expect from a sophomore Oceano album, which is not necessarily a bad thing for fans of the genre.

The subject matter of the lyrics, according to the band's vocalist, are supposed to illustrate the concept of the government fighting a human-engineered virus and its effects or something like that. They're honestly not the most interesting lyrics, but they obviously fit the concept and mood of the album well. Adam, as mentioned before, has worked a little more on annunciation of the vocals rather than puking out mere syllables present on their last album.

In comparison to other bands such as Whitechapel, JFAC, and Born Of Osiris (all personal favorites), Oceano carves another level of brutality into the genre and is easily one of my favorite bands (My favorites ever being Emperor, Animals as Leaders and Death haha). The instrumental "Exist in Confinement," album-opener "Precursor to Enslavement," "Weaponized" and album closer "Ending Intellect" are my personal favorites. I love the pitch-black mood of the instrumentation along with the powerhouse vocals of Adam Warren, when you listen to it you know its Oceano. That being said, it is purely for FANS OF THIS MUSIC, catering to fans of breakdowns and down-tuned palm-muted riffing with immense gutteral lows and shrieking highs in the vocal department. I think its pretty good.

k90728
    Awww there guitarists left. i liked that fat guy, he had some cool riffs. Vocals only good thing IMO. FAT guitarist guy was next. I like drawn out notes too. weaponized uses some lol
    mtllica
    henkka_potku wrote: mtllica wrote: henkka_potku wrote: Oh great, another [insert influence]core band review. By an user named "Mtllica". This is craving for mockery. How do I deserve mockery for a name I chose a couple years ago? Geez...people on the internet these days... Well if I was a king [whatever]core fans were the slaves...
    You sound kind of like an elitist prick, so bravo on accomplishing that!
    mtllica
    krvolok
    Phe4rTheGod wrote: The bass, Jason Jones, is drowned out within the guitar, sadly. The way metal was intended...
    Actually no.Before these concrete wave form days the bass was often quite audible.
    deftools
    deathcore is an average genre there are very few artists who stick out as unique, oceano are not one of them, its just breakdown after breakdown, if you going to do that style of ' metal ' you need to make the breakdowns different and unique, and oceano don't do that. As for oceano being one of the most brutal deathcore bands out there, im still yet to hear a deathcore band (oceano included) who's breakdowns can even match the energy and heaviness of little old parkway drive !!! so thats a joke, you want brutal get some exhumed, mortician, impetigo etc up your arse!!
    FearOfTheDuck
    I saw one of their videos on Scuzz and i thought it wasn't bad. Deathcore's not really my thing and a lot of it is too samey. Despised Icon, Chelsea Grin and Suicide Silence are the bands which stand out for me. So many dicks on this site... if you think its shit at least give a reason instead of mocking and stereotyping a genre you don't understand.
    Disturbdkornkid
    EpiExplorer wrote: ProgJazzMath wrote: I would be King of England. Then we'd have a monopoly on what metal should be created, luuuulz. Sweden would make it faster and heavier, Norway would make it 'evuuuul', Germany would make it hard and pounding and America would make it crap. America would make it crap? How so exactly? I'm an american and I am just lyke uber curious.
    Nothing, just pointing out a common stereotype in Britain. No offence intended cuz it was a joke afterall.[/quote] I know it was a joke but I still feel like I need to mention Black Dahlia Murder, Arsis, Machine Head, Inferi, and Origin as awesome american metal bands. But we Canadians have Devin Townsend and Augury as a bonus, suck it world ^.^
    ciadude2
    ciadude2
    ProgJazzMath wrote: ciadude2 wrote: I'm trying to think of a way to deny American bands being awful but I kind of have to agree. Here in NH, almost every single band is generic hardcore. My issue with deathcore is the fact that it all sounds really similar. Not like "well it's all in that genre so it's similar", like almost every single song could all be by one band under different names. In a band I was in for a while last year, we actually kicked out the vocalist for going "dude add more chugs" and "let's add a breakdown" for every single song we were writing. It was ridiculous. That's boring boring boring. There ARE still good bands in America, it's just they're kind of a minority at the moment. I actually quit a band recently for that same reason. Everyone in the band kept telling me to write "chugs" and "breakdowns" in the fashion of (insert generic hardcore band here) and it was as if we were trying to be every other band. I can agree with what you are saying with that though. The scene is overrun with a lot of generic bands, but I don't think america should be labeled with just generic bands you know? There are plenty of bands that get looked over because all anyone wants to talk about are the shitty bands. I feel you on the band part though. It's lame. If only it was overrun by prog bands.
    Definitely man, I'm in a symphonic death metal band, a progressive/melodic death metal band, and a post rock band. Chugs are not my thing.
    cLarity-
    Cynic, Death, Between The Buried And Me, Nevermore, Scale The Summit, and The Faceless.. nuff said. There are others, but those are some of my favs. You can always add Morbid Angel, Suffocation, and Slayer if you see fit.
    .Wretch.
    krvolok wrote: There's just too few new(er) bands out there that are good.What was the name of that melodeath band from Tampa,they were reviewed here but I cant recall the name,any ideas? What ever they are called that was one out of like 3-4 new or newer bands from the US I heard of that was not metalcore.
    Mahino
    ProgJazzMath wrote: Dirty chord dirty chord dirty chord grind riff dirty chord breakdown dirty chord yell minus the music dirty chord bass drop. the end.
    Haha so true
    \m/
    America would make it crap? How so exactly? I'm an american and I am just lyke uber curious.[/quote] brokencyde's a ****ing amazing metal band from america and so is slipknot and BFMV!!!!amereca FTW!!!!!
    krvolok
    .Wretch. wrote: Didn't see the review, but I'm pretty sure you're thinking of The Absence. Oh yeah, BTBAM is American, so all of your arguments are invalid. :p
    Yeah The Absence,thanks. BTBAM is metalcore so I'm unfortunately still right.
    krvolok
    brokencyde's a ****ing amazing metal band from america and so is slipknot and BFMV!!!!amereca FTW!!!!! [/quote] BFMV american,really? Wow I always thought that Wales was just west of England.
    Yoyo Of Death
    krvolok wrote: Yoyo Of Death wrote: \m/ProgJazzMath wrote: I would be King of England. Then we'd have a monopoly on what metal should be created, luuuulz. Sweden would make it faster and heavier, Norway would make it 'evuuuul', Germany would make it hard and pounding and America would make it crap. America would make it crap? How so exactly? I'm an american and I am just lyke uber curious. brokencyde's a ****ing amazing metal band from america and so is slipknot and BFMV!!!!amereca FTW!!!!!
    BFMV american,really? Wow I always thought that Wales was just west of England. [/quote] pffffft theys amirecan dude get it rite
    Yoyo Of Death
    krvolok wrote: In case that this^ is not f****ng around.BFMV are from Wales,which is in the UK which is in Europe.
    TROLOLOLOLO!!!!!
    JoeVro/BCRich
    I bought this album a while ago, it wasn't terrible but it bored me after a few listens. Check out Annotations of an Autopsy, Veil of Maya, or I Declare War for some good, original sounding, unique deathcore
    krvolok
    henkka_potku wrote: Well if I was a king [whatever]core fans were the slaves...
    Could I be the Pope?
    EpiExplorer
    America would make it crap? How so exactly? I'm an american and I am just lyke uber curious.[/quote] Nothing, just pointing out a common stereotype in Britain. No offence intended cuz it was a joke afterall.
    ProgJazzMath
    I would be King of England. Then we'd have a monopoly on what metal should be created, luuuulz. Sweden would make it faster and heavier, Norway would make it 'evuuuul', Germany would make it hard and pounding and America would make it crap.[/quote] America would make it crap? How so exactly? I'm an american and I am just lyke uber curious.
    krvolok
    Sodomize me on Christmas Day,a -core review which does not have a 10/10/10 rate.
    kaizerkhan13
    dont know why anyone would even review these dudes on this website; instead of anyone actually reading it, you just get a bunch of dick replies. anyway, the concept is the government creating a virus and unleashing it to instill fear and panic among the people. a little more mature than their last album for sure. and maybe its just the fact ive got some big assed subs in my room but the bass breaks through the mix just fine, especially because jason's not just playing root notes anymore.
    DustyEggNog
    krvolok wrote: Sodomize me on Christmas Day
    Ha! Thank you, sir, that is going to be my new catch phrase.
    Phe4rTheGod
    The bass, Jason Jones, is drowned out within the guitar, sadly.
    The way metal was intended...
    henkka_potku
    theogonia777
    aye, tis too true, most of the metal bands here in the states nowadays are awful, the only good ones for the most part are the ones that have been around for like 15+ years, with far too few exceptions. sigh...
    Steve08
    krvolok wrote: Well metal wise the american scene is kinda inert lately.
    Explain.
    I'mmaBaseball
    EpiExplorer
    I'mmaBaseball wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: krvolok wrote: henkka_potku wrote: Well if I was a king [whatever]core fans were the slaves... Could I be the Pope? I would be King of England. Then we'd have a monopoly on what metal should be created, luuuulz. Sweden would make it faster and heavier, Norway would make it 'evuuuul', Germany would make it hard and pounding and America would make it crap. Canada would make it about how we don't wish you any harm, and how we hope you have a good day.
    krvolok
    EpiExplorer wrote: Actually Canada will do it half American and then make the other half really really good.
    That's what I call the Voivod Symptom.Yeah The Duke did some pretty horrid stuff but then again a lot of epic stuff as well.
    LightxGrenade
    EpiExplorer wrote: When I first heard of this band, I thought they were some really interesting prog outfit with culture diversity i.e they got a black guy. But when I actually heard the music... Oh how wrong I was. :c
    lmfao, priceless. I don't know about this band, nothing special in any aspect of their music if you ask me. Just another band in the sea of mediocre heavy music. But to each his own so if you like them, support them!
    henkka_potku
    Well if I was a king [whatever]core fans were the slaves...