Depths review by Oceano

• Released: Apr 7, 2009
Oceano: Depths

Oceano is a deathcore Band from Chicago. I found them on myspace a little less then a year ago, and I have been keeping tabs on them ever since. They finally have put out their debut album "Depths" on Earache Records. After listening to the entire album through, they definitely wanted to make sure that they were heavy when writing this album. You can tell with the triggered drums and ridiculously down-tuned guitars. I am very, very pleased because every song was executed well. And I noticed that in every song, that breakdowns are not forced. The breakdowns almost sound like it actually belongs there to keep the music flowing good. A lot of bands now want breakdowns to be what people remember them by, and they over use breakdowns. Here breakdowns are definitely not the goal of songwriting with Oceano. My only complaint, is that once again, the songs sound alike. If your not paying attention to the music, you miss the track change and still think your listening to track 3 for the last 15 minutes. But, that's how it is when every other band, and so overall, I am very pleased.

The lyrics are fantastic in this album. I am very pleased that not every song is about someone brutally killing someone else and explaining it in gruesome detail. Actually only 1 or maybe 2 songs are like that. The rest of the songs talk more about scenarios rather. For example, the song "A Mandatory Sacrifice" says, "Your kind has been aborted. This world abandoned left desolate, depleted of all it's resources... Yet there are survivors scare who hid amongst the ruins where a crucial decision must be made. To die of starvation or take ones life and feed upon their flesh... You're not a heathen for thinking this if God can allow these situations..is God Deaf, or maybe dead? Is God Deaf? God is not deaf, just nonexistent." The lyrics stay brutal, without talking about gore and guts and what-not. Also, the vocalist must have had a thesaurus, because there is a great use of vocabulary present. The vocalist has about 3 different vocal styles. There's the obvious high screams and low screams, and then he has this just straightup brutal low just growl that he does. It doesn't sound like inhales, which is always a positive. You will be very happy that there are no "Bree's" in here. He is a very good frontman, and is very good about when to use what style of vocals with the rest of the music.

This album reminds me a lot of Whitechapel's sophomore album "This Is Exile." It has some very demonic guitar parts, yet still keeps it enjoyable. I personally dislike music that sounds all demonic and satany, but they did a good job integrating it in their music. The vocal styles of Phil from Whitechapel are close as well. But I don't feel like they copied This Is Exile. I fell that it was just coincidence of the similarity. It's hard to tell what the standout tracks are on this album. I really like the titled track which starts off with guitar chords that are no where near what you would expect. They are really soft and melodic and almost make you think wtf? Until the rest of the band kicks in and it just gets heavy. Very creative. Other standout tracks in my opinion are "Samuel The Destroyer" and "A Mandatory Sacrifice" "Samuel The Destroyer" starts out with a drum fill, and then goes right into a down tempo chug with the vocalist giving his lowest growls. Then almost instantly picks up in tempo. Right after that is a breakdown, where the drummers kick drums sound amazing and perfectly on time. Then later on, they loose the breakdowns and go straight into a melodic tone, while the vocalist is is screaming. It is excellent. "A Mandatory Sacrifice" starts right off the bat with vocals and instruments playing a high tempod riff. Then goes into a fast paced breakdown instantly. Then another high speed riff, with the drummer giving a slow paced blast beat. Then all the instruments stop and the vocalist screams "you can not escape reality's trials with a simple prayer!" The song stays brutal the whole way through without whoring your ear with breakdowns.

pandaXcore88
    Candillinger
    epic fail to the guy that said they sound like whitechapel. thats like saying metallica sounds like megadeath. true if youre a NOOB. COMPLETELY UNTRUE if you has SKILLZ. these guys are good and they STICK with everyone who hears them or sees them. it doesnt really matter whether they are good or not or original or not. they STICK. they are destined to go big
    darthzedd
    Honestly, they don't sound like whitechapel at all. I have Depths and "this is exile" burned onto the same CD in my car. needless to say, I listen to both albums consecutively. so yeah, I would know. They don't sound alike. Maybe there are a few parts where they sound a little alike. Oceano goes for a more, "pissed-off" sound and pulls it off better than any other band I've heard. Whitechapel goes for a more "epic" sound. Secondly, The vocals really aren't as generic as some of you make them out to be. want generic deathcore vocals? try some carnifex, suicide silence, or chelsea grin. Oceano's vocals sound much more original and overall better to my ears. bring the beef!
    griffo110
    another generic deathcore band jumping on the bandwagon and not evolving or progressing the genres sound
    mtllica
    'nuff said
    mtllica
    I like this album quite a bit, I mean sure the riffs can be generic, but its the lyrics I mainly look toward with "Deathcore" bands.
    columbianneckti
    How can you people say this shit. I can tell the difference and if you can't, you don't have a good enough ear to listen to the differences. As far as I'm concerned, they're songs actually sound quite original from typical deathcore. Adam's vocals are what defines Oceano. What do you people want, to have Phil from Whitechapel scream for every deathcore band? As for wbjackson517, so true, you went off topic a little and it took me a while to understand your point, but none the less true.
    xImAGangsterx
    mtllica wrote: Pretty_Much wrote: theaftermath666 wrote: this is the best release of 2009 so far, **** all your other shit and **** no they dont sound like whitechapel LOL Yea, the actually do sound alot like Whitechapel... just worse... 'nuff said
    Are you kidding me? haha, Whitechapels fast as **** compared to Oceano, not to mention Adams vocals blow Phil's shit away. Oceano actually sounds good live, and doesnt speed or slow shit down, except for their gay ass sludge breakdowns at the ends of Samael and Inhuman. Their drummers good as ****, their guitarists good as ****, the bassist is good as ****, and the vocalist is good as **** even though he does inhales. They also get the pit moving too, and I do like Whitechapel just not as much as Oceano.
    herzeleid1995
    They have such good instrumentals, but the vocalist is just so generic. He sounds like everything else in deathcore, and that disappoints me when their music doesn't sound like every other deathcore band. They have a weird, that songs so slow work so well and sound heavy, which is uncommon in deathcore, as it always becomes about how fast can we blast beat and speed strum our way through a section of the song to get to the next breakdown. There are one or two parts of this album that really made me cringe, but that goes even with the best of deathcore. I'm not a big fan of the genre, but when it's good, it's good, right? Like in This Is Exile, with the gang vocals (Dear God, why couldn't you have left those with Winds of Plague?) in Messiahbolical, an otherwise good song, the slow sweep arpeggio in District of Misery just loses me. I don't know what the preoccupation is with newer deathcore bands and using sweep arpeggios, even if they aren't fast. Sweep arpeggios don't always sound good, people. And I'd say best track on the album is Samael the Destroyer. And it is Samael, not Samuel.
    lambofgodowns
    flat out, oceano is badass and awesome. they are nothing like whitechapel other than being deathcore. and I hate that every song title is extremely complicated, but other than that, its amazing
    woflcopter
    xImAGangsterx wrote: Their drummers good as ****, their guitarists good as ****, the bassist is good as ****, and the vocalist is good as **** even though he does inhales.
    actually, adam does exhale vocals. ive asked him about it before, and i learned like how he does it. but yeah those are not inhales. which is nice.
    nothingserious2
    Even though generic, they do add a little bit of spice to their stuff. I like how the album is mixed... There's nothing wrong with finding a good generic album. Haha
    wbjackson517
    I actually just bought this album. I have benn listening to ALL metal since 1978 ( yeah f**k off I am old school). All these so-called "Deathcore" bands have to do what they are doing. How many bands fail or get scrapped until we get a Lamb of God or Cannibal Corpse? If you want the forefathers of "Deathcore" go buy Dying Fetus or old Suffocation albums. If you are not a fan of Deathcore or this type of metal, do not buy the f**king album! GO listen to Hannah Montana. Because I guarantee if you go see one of these bands live, and you get in the pit, those people do not care if you think Deathcore is gay. Especially while they are kicking your teeth out of your head. Deathcore pits are the most brutal pits I have seen in alot of years. Suicide Silence and Oceano pits are scary. I have seen Slayer multiple times and these new Deathcore pits put them to shame.
    joaonofear
    Ridiculously poor guitar work, same for bass. Every song just sounds hollow and like a long breakdown. If you think that talentless breakdowns(dumbest thing ever in my book) and a bunch of palm muted cords covered by double bass are good, or original then this, my retarded friend, is for you. If there is anything about this band, or at least the work they have put out, worth a second listen, that would be the vocalist.
    wmatica
    This album destroys. I find it hilarious how the guitars never go even remotely fast throughout the entire album when the drums are flying, hahaha.
    afortuneinlies
    Pretty_Much
    Yea, the actually do sound alot like Whitechapel... just worse...
    lambofgodowns
    pandaXcore88 wrote: i'd like to see any of you make straight up pissed music and see if you can keep from sounding like another band of the genre. good luck, and get ****ed. if you do want to see an intense show, these guys WILL get the crowd going. guaranteed. as for the whitechapel comments, the vocalists share some similar growls, but other than that they seem to have different deliveries. whitechapel breakdowns > oceano breakdowns.
    they don't sound much like whitechapel (\m/), maybe a little, but not easily comparable. they're more like impending doom. this album is phenomenal
    xD3vourm3nTx
    yeah it does sound kinda like whitechapel...but nothing is done to his vocals. If they are from your area and you "know them" then you most likely would have seen them live. And even if you haven't, they have a dvd out which shows him recording his vocals, and it is exactly as he sounds. They aren't sequenced or processed or anything. Maybe every once in a while, they BARELY get overdubbed, but thats it. Other then that, thats his raw voice and nothign else.
    Tony Alley
    I'm so god damn sick of reading about how Oceano sounds like Whitechapel Whitechapel is amazing and original Oceano is simple and predictable Oceano could be compared to Emmure and the Acacia Strain, with nothing but breakdowns and 2 steps This album is generic as hell This Is Exile is a masterpiece.
    theaftermath666
    I<3Hobos
    I love this album, I don't know why everyone doesn't really like them, but yea, good review.
    Pretty_Much
    Yea, nothing special about this band. Although i wouldn't mind seeing them on tour with Conducting From The Grave! < Amazing band
    jaymuhsun
    I preordered "DEPTHS" the first day the pre-orders we're available and have still not recieved it. That being said, I have in fact heard two leaked songs from the album, which we're both re-recorded from previous material, simply because I did not want to hear any of the fresh stuff. I am usually not a huge fan of straight up heavy, almost non-melodic metal music, but I have found OCEANO to be a breath of fresh air in this stale genre. That also being said, I usually go for more technical metal like The Faceless, BTBAM, and CYNIC but I have found that I quite enjoy this band.
    Fender700
    xD3vourm3nTx : Fender700 : i recently went to pick up a new CD. it was a tie between this and Whitechapel's "this is exile". i know this band, they are from my area. i have always been a fan, but this album didnt quite do it for me. the vocals are garbage. not to bash adam personally but the vocals are WAY over-layered and sequenced. much like Phil from whitechapel's...but he's actually GOOD. i am dissapointed in how similar depths sounds to whitechapel. end of story needless to say, i chose the whitechapel album. yeah it does sound kinda like whitechapel...but nothing is done to his vocals. If they are from your area and you "know them" then you most likely would have seen them live. And even if you haven't, they have a dvd out which shows him recording his vocals, and it is exactly as he sounds. They aren't sequenced or processed or anything. Maybe every once in a while, they BARELY get overdubbed, but thats it. Other then that, thats his raw voice and nothign else i have seen them a few times, and it sounds better live. i personally think there is a better style of vocals for their music.
    satyricon
    i dont care what anyone says, they are amazing. they put on a great show, their a bunch of great guys. except for the guitarist they kicked out cause he was ****ing around with the managers wife..... But other than that just a great band
    GuitarHero0715
    I agree, Oceano is sooooo good. I really want to see them live, they've come around my town, but I never get a chance to see them
    xFEARLESSx
    ...oceano's vocalist sounds like crap. Just listen to District of Misery. As loud raucous and catchy as the intro manages to be, the moment the vocals come in it's time to change the song. There's no sense of pattern. And he does do inhales, my band played with them live. If you want something to do with oceano, go see them live and don't take your eyes off the drummer. seriously this band is hands down amazing and the only thing that sounds like whitechApel a their guitar work. speaking of, whitechapel is shit live, phils vocals are so different AND danny which is oceanos drummer is just as good live as in the record. not to mention they're all nice guys especially Adam the frontman.
    Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
    Two years ago i was playing shows with these guys at all the local venues. They never failed to get a crowd moving and chanting lyrics. Seeing them now is quite the spectacle, and would suggest it.
    xAxioNx
    just got it today and love it! for me, it's similar to annotations of an autopsy but a lot more brutal and generally faster plus the drummer is just sick for that he ain't using gravity blastbeats. "INHUMAN AFFLICTION" i think is the best song. when you've heard it, you wouldn't have to listen to the full album though. the one song introduces and shows every element that the album contains anyway.
    sc_stanger
    their singer is a college man...i like ppl who write smart lyrics this band kicks ACEEE!
    Fender700