Lost Isles review by Oceans Ate Alaska

• Released: Feb 24, 2015
Oceans Ate Alaska: Lost Isles

It's hard to describe the sound that UK metalcore outfit Oceans Ate Alaska has accomplished in their most recent endeavor "Lost Isles." Recently signed to Fearless Records, OAA have shown what can only be described as a completely appropriate and impressive growth from their 2012 EPs "Into the Deep" & "Taming Lions" (released by Density Records).

The 13-track album clocks in at around 44 minutes and is a refreshing outlook on the generic metalcore scene. As far as the sound goes, this album can be emphasized as incredibly frenzy and fast paced. Honestly, it's hard to give these incredibly talented musicians the justice they deserve. The intricate guitar/bass/drum combinations found throughout this album are simply mind-blowing and incredibly well put together. "Blood Brothers," the first single off the album, shows all of this and more. It gives us a small taste of what these guys are capable of. The off-beat breakdowns and incredible guitar melody leave me hungry for more.

Check this play-through out:

YouTube preview picture

Now it's lead vocalist James Harrison's time to shine. Simply put, I absolutely love his unique unclean vocals. Ridiculously well implemented highs and lows are impressive. And the transitions to the melodic cleans? Flawless. His voice works so well with the tone of the music that it's hard to pick just one part of the album that is my favorite.

Lyrically, in my opinion, "Vultures and Sharks" hits it outta the park.

"We are the creators of our own demise/They took to the seas/They took to the skies/Only had eyes for my prized possessions/Turned all my confessions into lies."

YouTube preview picture

"Lost Isles" is a metalcore album. And it's hard to describe it as anything really different, as hard as you may try (most closely related to the chaotic sound that deathcore (mathcore?) band The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza achieved through their releases).

To reiterate: this album is simply FUN. Metalinjection said it best in their review. "Whether you like this album boils down to how much you enjoy metalcore." It takes a little bit to get used to, especially if you are used to a more generic sound (August Burns Red, Memphis May Fire) but I thoroughly appreciate and enjoy the entire album for exactly what it is.

If you like the slower, technical deathcore style, then it might take you a couple playthroughs to truly appreciate the sound OAA has made for themselves. Easily one of my favorite metalcore albums to date. Thanks for reading!