Lost Isles Review

Oceans Ate Alaska: Lost Isles
Released: Feb 24, 2015
Genre: Progressive Metalcore
Label: Fearless Records
This album is a masterpiece from start to finish regarding the sounds. This is one of those albums most of the time you have to start from the very first track and make your way through.
 Lyrics: 7.5
 8.3
 8.7
 7.8
 3,016
reviews (2) pictures (1) 7 comments vote for this album:
Lost Isles Featured review by: vppark2, on march 06, 2015

Sound: Oceans Ate Alaska are progressive metalcore band (yes, apparently that does exist now) from Birmingham, UK. But seriously, you will understand why they're categorized there once you listen to this album. Take what you heard from Architects, or even The Dillinger Escape Plan, for example. And I know everyone is going to argue the fact that Architects isn't mathcore anymore, blah blah blah. But they're still putting out some kick a-s music that is complicated. But yes, as I was saying, all of these bands do fit under that weird label of odd time signatures, and crazy riffs that you won't hear from other metalcore bands. That's how this whole weird mathcore label existed. But TDEP most certainly takes the cake for the most chaotic and odd in this sense. But that does not make these guys not unique. These guys make the average Fearless Records fanboy confused out of their f--king mind. And the irony behind all of this is that they just signed to their label. There's no other bands like these guys on their label. Maybe August Burns Red in a sense of odd time signatures, but all in all, these guys make completely different music to them. This type of music will only suit certain people's taste. People who enjoy that odd time riffing, and while the cleans are not necessarily the best I've heard in this scene, the uncleans are f--king brilliant. I do really like their cleans though. Just listen to any song off this record, and right away you can James Harrison's accent in his cleans. The drums, while not as insanely technical as guitar, still get the job done. // 9

Lyrics: This section is not necessarily amazing, but there are moments of some pretty good lyrics, but in the end, most of the time it's just your typical metalcore lyrics. Not in a terrible way, but obviously I've seen much better lyrics from different bands in the genre... ahem, Beartooth. Some of my favorite lyrics doe example in "Linger": "I lie in my room pulling out my own hair, it gives me something to do, but doesn't get me anywhere. Not even time can repair the space that you left here in my chest. You linger in the air." // 7

Overall Impression: Just check this video out.

Of course, it's a bit unrelated, but it's a guitar playthrough, so if you didn't think they were technical from these song leaks, well just watch that and say it with a straight face. That zigzag pick scrape at 2:08 left me speechless. I can't name any favorite songs, honestly. I love them all equally. And honestly, "Blood Brothers" is probably my least favorite track, surprisingly. But you will find lots and lots of goodies on this album. From the very unique intro: "FourThirtyTwo," to the interlude: "Equinox," to the very last track: "Mirage," this album is a masterpiece from start to finish regarding the sounds. This is one of those albums most of the time you have to start from the very first track and make your way through. If like you listened to "Mirage" first, you'd know exactly what I'm trying to say. That song makes a perfect closer. The song starts out light with the instruments, but hits hard later in. "Part of Something" will be most of the technical junkies favorite track. Right from the get go, the song starts with some crazy riff-ge. Skip to 1:47. I don't know what the hell is going on, but that's what's so f--king awesome about these guys. I know there will be people saying this is all over the place, but seriously, if you like odd time signatures, you will f--king love this album. // 9

Lost Isles Reviewed by: DV0829, on march 22, 2015

Sound: It's hard to describe the sound that UK metalcore outfit Oceans Ate Alaska has accomplished in their most recent endeavor "Lost Isles." Recently signed to Fearless Records, OAA have shown what can only be described as a completely appropriate and impressive growth from their 2012 EPs "Into the Deep" & "Taming Lions" (released by Density Records).

The 13-track album clocks in at around 44 minutes and is a refreshing outlook on the generic metalcore scene. As far as the sound goes, this album can be emphasized as incredibly frenzy and fast paced. Honestly, it's hard to give these incredibly talented musicians the justice they deserve. The intricate guitar/bass/drum combinations found throughout this album are simply mind-blowing and incredibly well put together. "Blood Brothers," the first single off the album, shows all of this and more. It gives us a small taste of what these guys are capable of. The off-beat breakdowns and incredible guitar melody leave me hungry for more.

Check this play-through out:

// 10

Lyrics: Now it's lead vocalist James Harrison's time to shine. Simply put, I absolutely love his unique unclean vocals. Ridiculously well implemented highs and lows are impressive. And the transitions to the melodic cleans? Flawless. His voice works so well with the tone of the music that it's hard to pick just one part of the album that is my favorite.

Lyrically, in my opinion, "Vultures and Sharks" hits it outta the park.

"We are the creators of our own demise/They took to the seas/They took to the skies/Only had eyes for my prized possessions/Turned all my confessions into lies."

"Lost Isles" is a metalcore album. And it's hard to describe it as anything really different, as hard as you may try (most closely related to the chaotic sound that deathcore (mathcore?) band The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza achieved through their releases). // 8

Overall Impression: To reiterate: this album is simply FUN. Metalinjection said it best in their review. "Whether you like this album boils down to how much you enjoy metalcore." It takes a little bit to get used to, especially if you are used to a more generic sound (August Burns Red, Memphis May Fire) but I thoroughly appreciate and enjoy the entire album for exactly what it is.

If you like the slower, technical deathcore style, then it might take you a couple playthroughs to truly appreciate the sound OAA has made for themselves. Easily one of my favorite metalcore albums to date. Thanks for reading! // 9

Comments