Effloresce review by Oceansize

• Released: Sep 29, 2003
Oceansize: Effloresce

Ok, this is quite embarrassing, but yes, I discovered Oceansize on MySpace. After listening to a few songs I decided that this band was my kind of thing. So I decided to get this CD. Oceansize's sound is quite different to the new bands that have appeared lately. They combine beautiful ambient music with spacey guitar rock. With 3 guitarists, there sound is absolutely outstanding. The record starts off with a spacey sounding instrumental, "I am The Morning," which is a very relaxing way to start the album. After a few minutes the first proper song begins. "Catalyst" is a great song with an awesome riff played between 2 guitars, while a third one plays a completely different riff which really gives the track an "edge." "One Day This Could All Be Yours" has got to be one of my favourite songs by Oceansize. The intro begins with a chimey guitar playing a few simple notes. The bass then kicks in with a great riff. A guitar does a few bends on 2 notes, and a spacey guitar riff comes in afterwards. The vocals a dreamy, and the lyrics are dark. It does sound very unique, and that's why I believe that this is the best track on the album. Compared to other songs on the album, it's not very complicated. Not only is the guitar work great on this album, the drumming is also very articulate. There aren't really any proper guitar solos, but the playing is still very complex there a loads of riffs which fit perfectly with each other. A lot of guitar effects are used (it is progressive duh.) Most of the tracks on the album are quite long, like traditional progressive songs. The last tracks on the album are near to 9 minutes each.

Mike Vennart's lyrics are not straight forward, and it's not always easy to know what the songs mean. This complexity makes the album even more interesting to listen to. For example, in "Amputee", he sings "Oh you could be, and amputee, wouldn't matter all that much, wouldn't mean a thing to me," without explicitly singing the word "love", you know that is what the song is about. Vennart combines many different styles of singing. He can sing quite softly in songs like "Long Forgotten" and "Women Who Love Men Who Love Drugs", but he can also scream in songs like "Catalyst" and "You Wish." This adds an interesting variety to the album.

Overall, this is probably one of the strongest debut albums of the 21st Century, and is greatly underrated. There is something here for everyone, ambient, dreamy songs and spacey, rockier riffs. Highlights include "Catalyst", "One Day All This Could Be Yours", "Massive Bereavement", "You Wish", "Amputee" and "Women Who Love Men Who Love Drugs." If someone stole this off me I would find the culprit and beat him senseless.

tombelger
    Good reviews of a great album, youve inspired me to go and have a listen to thiss album again. FRAMES new album, someone review please, another masterpiece of an album from Oceansize.