Everyone Into Position review by Oceansize

• Released: Feb 7, 2006
Oceansize: Everyone Into Position

Oceansize's sound is difficult to describe, but I love it. Each song on this album sounds completely different from the others. The album kicks off with the epic "The Charm Offensive", in a strange time signature, and wah-ry guitars. It soon builds up to a breathtaking ending, where the distorted guitars kick in as Vennart sings "they say we're all the same... " These guys are very different to the bands you hear in the charts these days. Something fresh and exciting. The song concludes after a powerful riff enters, with Vennart screaming "everyone into position." Next, the band demonstrates how they are capable of writing pop songs, if they want to. "Heaven Alive" features an anthemic chorus, with a "groovy" bassline. The band continues to show their versatility and their aggressive side, with "A Homage To a Shame," one of the greatest prog metal songs in a long time, featuring a stack of weird time signatures and distorted guitars. It also has a very unpredictable song structure. "Meredith" is the complete opposite of "Homage," a sweet melodic simple song showing their mellow side, with melodies that just stick into your head. "Music For a Nurse" is arguably one of the most beautiful songs ever written, and it shows that 'size can write excellent music without the need for distorting any guitars. It begins with a simple guitar chord sequence, which steadily builds up to another great climax. "Ornament / The Last Wrongs" is probably one of the best album closers ever. It begins quietly with a simple guitar riff, and then expands with a chorus of perfect vocal harmonies towards the end, providing an epic and ethereal sound to end the album.

Mike Vennart's lyrics never fail to disappoint. The lyrics on this album may not be as cryptic as those from the "Music For Nurses" EP, but it is without a doubt that he has spent a lot of time writing these lyrics which hold many different meanings for the listener to explore. The words are not straight forward at all, and this engages the listener more, by trying to figure out the meaning behind the words. The chorus to "Homage" fits perfectly with the music, "looks invent a feeling in a meaningless exchange, it's a testament to perseverance a homage to a shame". However, a lot of the time it is difficult to hear what he is singing, but that doesn't matter, as the vocals are sometimes used as another instrument for the song.

One of my favourite albums of all time along with Effloresce. The highlights of this album are "The Charm Offensive", "Heaven Alive", "A Homage To a Shame", "Music For a Nurse", "No Tomorrow", "You can't keep a Bad Man Down" and "Ornament / The Last Wrongs." It clearly shows the band's versatility, showing how they can write songs from metal to post-rockish melodies. However, it took me a long time to get to know this album, so for those with little patience, may not like this album at first. The secrets to the album unlock themselves only after a few run-throughs.

ElephantTalk
    great album. i was addicted to it for months. however they try to be all things to all men eg music for a nurse-sigur ros esque, homage is porcupine tree, you cant keep a bad man down is pink floyd esque, heaven alive is stone roses esque. they need to cement their own sound on the next album.
    A music fan
    I think that's what so exciting about them, that they don't have a particular sound. That's what makes things interesting. If everything sounded the same it'd be boring .
    ElephantTalk
    A music fan wrote: I think that's what so exciting about them, that they don't have a particular sound. That's what makes things interesting. If everything sounded the same it'd be boring.
    No they need to have something that is there sound even if they then cover lots of musical genres. it is contrived to have each individual song represent a genre of music.
    steve137
    A music fan
    steve137 wrote: I have to say this is by far and without doubt my favourite album of all time, with Effloresce a close second. Personally I believe that's why Oceansize are so incredible, they have no particular one genre they can be boxed into, they keep pushing the boundaries of what people think Oceansize are all about, and I have to say I love it. The massive differences between Homage and Music for a Nurse, and their ability to sound so natural and at home with each end of the scale is incredible! Roll on "Frames!"
    Now you are talking my language
    gibble
    It's good to have alot of styles. I think Oceansize's songs, although all different, still have an "Oceansize" quality about them. It makes the album easy to listen to again and again without tiring of it. Why pin yourself down with one sound especially if you enjoy playing such variety.
    Tw8xy
    sottpwn wrote: Arguably the greatest album since Lateralus.
    i agree dude, also amplifiers debut, minus the bear