Everyone Into Position review by Oceansize

• Released: Feb 7, 2006
Oceansize: Everyone Into Position

"Everyone Into Position", Oceansize's second studio album, is inarguably one of their heaviest records during the span of their career. From the notable fast outro and sudden intro riffs of "A Homage To A Shame" to the messy chorus of "No Tomorrow". The album does not only present heavy organized noise, but it also brings out different emotions through the mellow and melodic songs in the album, notably "Music For A Nurse". However, what I found most intriguing in the album is the first and last track. "Everyone Into Position" opens with "The Charm Offensive", and its aura somehow prepares your soul for one hell of an emotional ride all throughout the album - something like the album title itself. Then the album ends with the song "Ornament/The Last Wrongs" - probably one of the best songs ever composed by man. The last track starts with a lonely flanged guitar. Then the band comes crashing down like a meteor, though in a beautiful way. While the band wreaks havoc, voices are heard, almost like crying out, though melodious and beautiful. The band then disappears abruptly, leaving two guitars answering each other. Then band comes crashing back in, and the same beauty is shown once more. As the song progresses, the verse enters. Sung gloriously and harmoniously, it gives you a sense of victory over the album, it fills you with so much spirit that you almost feel like crying out of sheer beauty. Then the song closes with another lonely instrument, this time rhodes playing chords. It slowly fades into the background, concluding one of my favourite albums of all time.

The lyrics, as usual, are unique. At first glance, they almost make no sense at all. However, once you read it again and again, and the lyrics occur in your mind at random times of the day, you begin to comprehend it - and realize that their lyrics are truly poetic. There are also some songs that trigger you through its lyrics, especially the song "Music For A Nurse". Personally, when I heard Mike sing "If I display just a fraction of the soul you showed in this world, then I know I'll see you again.", I just got chills. The combination of the sound and words was just perfect, like most of the songs in this album, or even other Oceansize tracks. For short, the lyrics are poetic, and probably the best lyrics written by a musician.

"Everyone Into Position" is definitely in my top 10 list of albums, and it might stay there for a very long time since even years after its release, I couldn't compare other albums to it. It seemed impossible to match "Everyone Into Position"'s sound and lyrics.