Cold World Review

Of Mice & Men: Cold World
Released: Sep 9, 2016
Genre: Alternative Metal, Alternative Rock, Nu Metal, Metalcore
Label: Rise Records
After softening their sound on "Restoring Force," Of Mice & Men swap out chugging breakdowns for soaring alt-metal choruses on their fourth album.
 4.9
 4,718
reviews (2) pictures (1) 31 comments vote for this album:
Cold World Featured review by: UG Team, on september 16, 2016

Sound: Ah. The classic "metalcore band goes soft" routine. This scenario has played out numerous times with bands like Bring Me The Horizon, Asking Alexandria, and in the genre in general with bands like Issues, and Of Mice & Men is no exception to this. After their much heavier, more technical first two records, Of Mice & Men began to flirt with more mainstream hard rock tones on 2014's "Restoring Force." More clean vocals, cleaner and simpler production, less technical instrumental playing, elements of nu-metal and alt-metal, and more standard song structures, those traits have all made themselves apparent on the new album, "Cold World."

Straight from the opening track, "Game of War," the change in this band is pretty evident. With not a single shred of metal riffage or harsh vocals in sight for the entirety of the track's four minute length, it instead relies on vaguely Tool-esque bass and vocal interplay, ambient synths and piano, and sounds like it could have come straight off any mainstream hard rock album made in the beginning of the previous decade. All things considered, it's actually a pretty decent tune, and a cool way to open up the album. "The Lie" follows, displaying more of the heavier hard rock sound the band started tapping into on "Restoring Force," featuring some Linkin Park-style shouted vocals, a very simple chorus, and a weird sort of synth intro.

These two tracks opening the album represent the extremes of the style the band went for on this record, though most of the songs sound more like "The Lie" than "Game of War." Throughout the record, the riffs remain fairly simple, though there are sometimes some unique turns like the 5/4 time signature of "Like a Ghost" and the heavier riffage in "Pain," the only track on the album to pretty much lack any clean vocals. Shades of nu-metal are all over the track "Relentless" with verse vocals that could have come straight out of the rap-metal era. The album also has a couple of brief instrumental interludes, "-" and "+," which are really just short breather episodes, barely worth mentioning as songs on their own, but they do sort of break the mood of the album for a brief time frame.

The songwriting on this album is not bad, and the band does show a few tinges of creativity, and it seems like they're wearing some rather decent influences on their sleeve (you'd swear you were hearing them channel Tool on the beginning of "The Hunger"), but overall there's nothing on this album that really grabs my attention for being special. Most of the songs kind of have the same structure, with the riffs and the weird guitar noises happening exactly where you'd expect them, the choruses having the same expected melodies, and mostly just kind of plodding along. It's an album that kind of just passes you by, if you're not paying strict attention to it.

The instrumental playing is also not really anything special. Alan Ashby's and Phil Manansala's guitar playing isn't going to win any awards for originality, and Aaron Pauley's bass playing and Valentino Arteaga's drumming, while definitely in the pocket, are still nothing really special. Austin Carlile's vocals are really the only immediately recognizable trait for this band, and even they kind of sound a little too derivative. On the plus side, David Bendeth's production is actually really good on this release, with a lot of sonic breathing room and good separation between a lot of the instruments. // 7

Lyrics: Of Mice & Men, like pretty much every metalcore band out there, tends to focus on vaguely personal, dark, emotional lyrics throughout the release of "Cold World." Word for word, I found the lyrics on this release to be better than some of the average metalcore bands who tend to drown their songs in sorrowful melodrama, since these at least seem to be a bit more thoughtful, such as these verse in "Game of War":

"Cruel world, captivating
Hollow, eaten alive from the inside
Rapture, kind decision
Old eyes can't take much more though I still try

Cause I'm waiting for the war to end
But are we just ending to begin again?
If patience is so virtuous
Then maybe I'll be damned"

Then there are the typical sort of "inspirational" lyrics you get with these metalcore-turned-soft kind of bands, like these from the chorus of the song "Relentless":

"No I won't quit, get over it, you'll never win
I will survive, I am relentless
And I will fight to stay alive cause you know I
I will survive, I am relentless"

They're really nothing special, as far as metalcore lyrics go, but the message is fine enough, and they don't bother me nearly as much as many other bands in this genre do. Austin Carlile's singing skills are also nothing really special, but he does do a fairly adequate job on this album, and I can't really fault his vocal style for anything specific, other than the fact that maybe he sounds a little too much like a few other vocalists (Mike Semesky, ex-Intervals, and Nathan Ells, ex-The Human Abstract, come to mind immediately), but that really comes down to personal preference. // 7

Overall Impression: So has softening their sound worked in Of Mice & Men's favour? Admittedly, I had never really been able to get into their early works, and I find the changes the band has made to their sound over the past two albums to be welcome, to a point. They did make a bit of a trade off for their originality by switching to a more mainstream-friendly sound, and that could hurt the band's sound as well. There are some decent songs, and much like with my review of the recent The Amity Affliction album, I found the opening track to be the strongest due to its rather drastic difference in sound compared to the rest of the album. "The Hunger" is also another really good track, with a bit more of an almost strangely proggy and sludgy vibe to it, and some really cool vocal melodies. But on the whole, the album came off as a bit same-y, a bit unoriginal, and just not that special overall. If you were a fan of the changes to the band's style on "Restoring Force," you'll likely enjoy this album. If not, you might want to find another band, since they really took those stylistic changes to their ultimate conclusion with this album.

So overall, it's not really a bad record, but not really a great one, either. Probably good for a listen or two, and the opening track "Game of War" is definitely worth checking out. // 7

- Travis Lausch (c) 2016

Cold World Reviewed by: qman685, on september 19, 2016

Sound: Of Mice & Men have been keeping very busy since their last album, "Restoring Forces," carried them from Warped Tour metalcore band to upcoming hard rockers. None stop touring, an acclaimed album, and lead singer Austin Carlile's medical issues keep very busy. Austin has been dealing with Marfans Syndrome and has gone through multiple heart surgeries. With all the touring and health problems, it seemed that a new album was a while away.

Until Of Mice & Men dropped their single "Pain." An over the top, hard rock/metal mess that is as unsatisfying as it is entertaining to listen to. Austin Carlile's spastic screaming comes across as more annoying than it does enhance the music in any way and the lack-luster instrumentals don't help either. As I sit, listening to this new Of Mice & Men song, I only wonder what Of Mice & Men will come up with this time around.

Even though I was disappointed in "Pain," I still had hope for this new album, "Cold World." Of Mice & Men had changed it up before with "Restoring Forces" and I was hopeful that whatever they would come up with would at least assure me that "Pain" was only a small part of that. I must say, Of Mice & Men come up with what is definitely their weakest album to date. Something that fans of their older records ("The Flood," "Of Mice & Men") might resent them for. Immediately, the first thing I think of as I listen to the first song, "Game of War," is how much it sounds like Tool or Chevelle. The heavy bass and singing remind me of the beginning of A Perfect Circle song that's about to explode, but does not progress in anyway. This is a reoccurring theme throughout this album that turns me off to the idea of "Cold World." Songs like "The Hunger," "Away," and "Like a Ghost" sound more suited for the new Tool album than an Of Mice & Men album. Also, songs like "The Lie," "Relentless," and "Contagious" could have been "Hybrid Theory" B-sides but instead make their way onto this album.

Most of the songs on this album are very underwhelming and sound underdeveloped. "Real" isn't a complicated song or really that interesting but compared to the rest of the songs on this new album, it really shows me that this is the closest thing I will get on this new album that is original or interesting. I feel like that "Real" is the only song on this record that I can listen to all the way without checking to see if I mistakenly put in a copy of "Ænima." // 3

Lyrics: As I said before, Of Mice & Men and Austin Carlile have gone through an incredible amount of grief these last two years. So, you would think that Cold World would be filled with tons of listen worthy lyrics that push the music and angst that come with the chugging guitars. Unfortunately, this isn't the case with Cold World. The lyrics on Cold World are over done and uninteresting. In "Pain," Austin Carlile screams "Pain / Every day that I awake / In my blood and through my veins / Now there's nothing left that you can take away from me." Which, again, would fit even better on a Linkin Park record than this. Even my sister, who is also a fan of the band, says that it fits better in the "Spongebob" episode about the guy who breaks every single bone in his body than an Of Mice & Men song.

It's frustrating to see a band like Of Mice & Men, a band that I used to think of as metalcore essentials, turn into a bunch of hard rock/radio rock cliches about "talking the talk" and "walking the walk." Especially since I know that they are capable of so much more than the vague and uninteresting lyrics that they are portraying on this record. // 3

Overall Impression: I remember seeing Of Mice & Men last year on their Full Circle tour and remembering what an amazing show that they put on. That being said, I tried hard to like this album, but cringe-worthy lyrics and songs that sound like long lost Tool songs make me think that Of Mice & Men have turned more into a band without direction than what their last album showed me. Maybe Of Mice & Men needed longer to write this new album, but it seemed that they were too eager to strike while the iron was hot and released an album that missed the mark. // 3

Comments