Of Mice & Men review by Of Mice & Men

• Released: Mar 9, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Of Mice & Men: Of Mice & Men

I would like to compare Austin Carlile's newest endeavor to Attack Attack! as little as possiblebut that would be very difficult. Due to the vast similarities in song structure and breakdowns, as well as the recent change in AA's new sound, I would say Austin had a lot to do with writing the musical aspect of his bands. There is barely any originality on Of Mice & Me's debut album. One will find a lot of the same mistakes that were made on Someday Came Suddenly (don't get me wrong, I loved that album, but the synthcore sound is the only thing that made that band stand out). All of the songs on the self-titled album are written around breakdown after breakdown. It becomes tiresome very quickly. Breakdowns used to be used sparingly as the climactic part of the song, but OM&M displays exactly where the hardcore genre has gone wrong. We're using the breakdown too much people! It's become something we put into our songs when we don't know what else to do. Now, once again don't get me wrong, I love hardcore music, but as a musician in the South Jersey hardcore scene I know exactly how bad the music has gotten and how low people's standards are. There are some catchy riffs hidden within these songs, such as the southern- rock type Seven Thousand Miles For What. Songs on this album will put you into a get up and move mood, and I can see where fans can really enjoy the music at times.

Possibly the one thing that saved this album was the impressive vocal work done by guitarist Shayley Bourget. He displays very good vocal range, namely on tracks "Second and Sebring" and the final track "This One's For You". Bourget's voice brought a much needed edge to this nearly mediocre album. As for Austin Carlile, I am personally a big fan of him and his unique screams, but it is one of those things that could either make or break the album for a listener. He makes some attempts in this album that he didn't in former bands and unfortunately they were not successful. His voice can sometimes be pushed to the brink of annoying. After very obvious christian lyrics on "Someday Came Suddenly", I was expecting the same for this album, but it was not so.

When I first heard about this band I was very excited to see what would come out this album. I must say I am very disappointed. Of Mice &Men shows points of potential, but they still have some maturing to go through if they want to be a truly notable band. Standout Tracks: Second and Sebring, Seven Thousand Miles For What, This One's For You.

ExplorerX
    Metal isnt based around horrible 20 minute power solos or arpeggio after arpeggio. Just because you don't like breakdowns doesnt mean that it isnt metal. It's technically called hardcore. SO **** off and go drink and beat you wife.
    ExplorerX
    Know whats funny? They dont have synth in any of their songs. Maybe you should comment when you actually know what you are talking about.
    5150addict
    this band is a joke. just another dime a dozen band using the same old synth breakdown after breakdown formula. whats with all these shitty bands getting signed? jesus christ. what has happened to rock and roll?
    5150addict
    who gives a flying ****? they are still shitty as ****. go jerk off to your shitty wanna-be metal bands faggot.
    reaper_x
    a.hurricane wrote: i dont really see whats bad about alot of breakdowns...its freakin' amazing
    They've been over-used these days. All these bands are starting to sound the same. Of Men And Mice, Blessthefall, Bring Me The Horizon, Agraceful, Dance Gavin Dance, The Devil Wears Prada and so on. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy this genre. However, sometimes it feels like I'm listening to just one band, rather than, say, 10 different bands. Kinda boring after a while.
    a7xfan235
    Aidy Damage wrote: Well, at least now they're signed they get to tend the rabbits and live off the fatt'a the lan'.
    lol
    vans1170
    god, how freaking amazing graphically of a cover. too bad they are terrible.
    morninrenob
    [quote]reaper_x wrote: They've been over-used these days. All these bands are starting to sound the same. Of Men And Mice, Blessthefall, Bring Me The Horizon, Agraceful, Dance Gavin Dance , The Devil Wears Prada and so on. quote] dude what the hell? How does Dance Gavin Dance even compare to those bands? Have you heard Happiness? I am pretty sure that there is not ONE breakdown in the whole album AND those guitarists don't even compare to Will Swan's talent in DGD. Well from the bands i HAVE heard in that list.
    Aidy Damage
    kylefurby
    You can also note Austin's use of lyrics that he used in Attack Attack. the opening track to the CD YDG?! has the exact same lyrics "Don't be mistaken" as he used in another attack song that was "Don't be mistaken for another love song." DOn't get me wrong, I love this band, But I agree, they need to change up their lyrics and guitar rhythms. HOwever. I absolutely love the way they transition the cleans and the screams a lot.
    EpiExplorer
    Should really have lowered the rating then..