Of Mice & Men review by Of Mice & Men

• Released: Mar 9, 2010
Of Mice & Men: Of Mice & Men

While it is hard to distinguish Of Mice & Men from every other post-hardcore band out there, what they do on this album, they do pretty well. Most of the songs have insanely catchy choruses, and their breakdowns are better than ever. The band really knows how to make a song heavy and catchy, without taking it too far.

Vocalist Austin Carlile, formally of Attack Attack! does an amazing job carrying out screams on every track. He has a quite unique scream, and I've never heard anything quite like it. It's great nevertheless. Rhythm guitarist Shayley Bourget does an amazing job providing clean vocals during the choruses or bridges of the song, and has an amazing vocal range. The screaming and singing is split about 25/75.

Overall this is a great album, especially for their first. Every song is put together great, but the album's standouts are "Second and Sebring" "Westbound and Down" and "Farewell to Shady Glade." One more album, and they'll be 2011's the Devil Wears Prada.

BFMV1995
    5150addict wrote: this band is a joke. just another dime a dozen band using the same old synth breakdown after breakdown formula. whats with all these shitty bands getting signed? jesus christ. what has happened to rock and roll?
    How can you say this band is a joke if you've obviously never listened to them? Retard.
    spaceace12342
    ExplorerX wrote: Know whats funny? They dont have synth in any of their songs. Maybe you should comment when you actually know what you are talking about.
    I was thinkin the same thing lol, i read that comment and was like, there's synth in that album?
    dedrock156
    listening to them right now(: great band. saw them live. and actually they sound different compared to a lot of bands!
    Bassslsl
    I love this band don't get me wrong but I would love to see Shayley leave this band and become a front man for another band. Amazing voice
    Insomnia69
    I downloaded the entire album and tried as hard as I could to give it a listen, I couldn't. Don't get me wrong, this band has some potential, but the originality lacks SO much, this sounds EXACTLY like Attack Attack! except only without the synth. My biggest problem is with Shayley's voice, it makes me wanna eat a beaver. The song structure is unoriginal. The lyrics need work. Both the clean and unclean vocals piss me off. But if these guys love what they do, there's no shame in taking away from that.