Of Mice & Men Review

Of Mice & Men: Of Mice & Men
Released: Mar 9, 2010
Genre: Post-Hardcore
Label: Rise Records
Of Mice & Men shows points of potential, but they still have some maturing to go through if they want to be a truly notable band.
 Lyrics: 7.7
 7.5
 7.6
 7.4
Of Mice & Men Reviewed by: reptar87, on march 09, 2010

Sound: I would like to compare Austin Carlile's newest endeavor to Attack Attack! as little as possiblebut that would be very difficult. Due to the vast similarities in song structure and breakdowns, as well as the recent change in AA's new sound, I would say Austin had a lot to do with writing the musical aspect of his bands. There is barely any originality on Of Mice & Me's debut album. One will find a lot of the same mistakes that were made on Someday Came Suddenly (don't get me wrong, I loved that album, but the synthcore sound is the only thing that made that band stand out). All of the songs on the self-titled album are written around breakdown after breakdown. It becomes tiresome very quickly. Breakdowns used to be used sparingly as the climactic part of the song, but OM&M displays exactly where the hardcore genre has gone wrong. We're using the breakdown too much people! It's become something we put into our songs when we don't know what else to do. Now, once again don't get me wrong, I love hardcore music, but as a musician in the South Jersey hardcore scene I know exactly how bad the music has gotten and how low people's standards are. There are some catchy riffs hidden within these songs, such as the southern- rock type Seven Thousand Miles For What. Songs on this album will put you into a get up and move mood, and I can see where fans can really enjoy the music at times. // 7

Lyrics: Possibly the one thing that saved this album was the impressive vocal work done by guitarist Shayley Bourget. He displays very good vocal range, namely on tracks "Second and Sebring" and the final track "This One's For You". Bourget's voice brought a much needed edge to this nearly mediocre album. As for Austin Carlile, I am personally a big fan of him and his unique screams, but it is one of those things that could either make or break the album for a listener. He makes some attempts in this album that he didn't in former bands and unfortunately they were not successful. His voice can sometimes be pushed to the brink of annoying. After very obvious christian lyrics on "Someday Came Suddenly", I was expecting the same for this album, but it was not so. // 8

Overall Impression: When I first heard about this band I was very excited to see what would come out this album. I must say I am very disappointed. Of Mice &Men shows points of potential, but they still have some maturing to go through if they want to be a truly notable band. Standout Tracks: Second and Sebring, Seven Thousand Miles For What, This One's For You. // 6

Of Mice & Men Reviewed by: metalcoredude39, on february 28, 2011

Sound: While it is hard to distinguish Of Mice & Men from every other post-hardcore band out there, what they do on this album, they do pretty well. Most of the songs have insanely catchy choruses, and their breakdowns are better than ever. The band really knows how to make a song heavy and catchy, without taking it too far. // 8

Lyrics: Vocalist Austin Carlile, formally of Attack Attack! does an amazing job carrying out screams on every track. He has a quite unique scream, and I've never heard anything quite like it. It's great nevertheless. Rhythm guitarist Shayley Bourget does an amazing job providing clean vocals during the choruses or bridges of the song, and has an amazing vocal range. The screaming and singing is split about 25/75. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great album, especially for their first. Every song is put together great, but the album's standouts are "Second and Sebring" "Westbound and Down" and "Farewell to Shady Glade." One more album, and they'll be 2011's the Devil Wears Prada. // 8

Of Mice & Men Reviewed by: Ultimate-Grohl, on september 26, 2015

Sound: In 2008, metalcore band Attack Attack! released their first album, "Someday Came Suddenly." The album was known for it's use of electronic elements and great use of the synth, although many people in the metal world thought the album was polarizing due to its less than intricate guitar playing. Nevertheless it was a huge success in the scene and extending the pliable electronicore genre, not to mention the inadvertently hilarious music video for "Stick Stickly."

When lead screamer Austin Carlile was out of the band for whatever reason, he decided to work on his musical career, and with his fellow band mates, Of Mice & Men was born!

Of Mice & Men have released their eponymous debut album, and it's a solid piece in the metalcore genre, but also draws from post-hardcore occasionally. Their are loose similarities from Attack Attack! first album, albeit without the autotune and synth use. The rhythm guitar, courtesy of Shayley Bourget, sounds solid and prevents the album from sounding monotonous. The tone of the guitars are more engaging and have a southern drawl which makes the songs more playful. Do not fret, the breakdowns are still there, in abundance. They are brutal. The lead guitar, while used occasionally, is prominent. The bass tends to stay behind the music, as does most songs in this genre, although I was too wowed by the other instruments to make it out.

The choruses, mostly done by Shayley Bourget, add a lively sound and really engages the listener with a different feel from other choruses.

The album has a nice solid sound, although there were only a few moments where I was really drawn in, like the breakdown in "They Don't Call it the South for Nothing." // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics have a nice depth and, when audible, make the listener want to know more about them. Unlike on "Someday Came Suddenly," the lyrics don't have any Christian themes to them. The lyrics range from different topics. Most notably Austin Carlile and his mother on, "Second & Sebring."

Austin Carlile does the majority of the vocals on Of Mice & Men, and for good reason: his scream. I don't know how he does it. It's like a high pitched diaphragm fry. It sounds very bold. The only downside to his vox is that they only stay in the one range, with the occasional very slightly lower & higher portions, which is a shame because he has a great low if he worked on it more. Putting it short, only two things can happen when you listen to Austin Carlile: you're either intrigued and want to listen more, or your headphones fly across the room.

Doing the clean vocals on this album is rhythm guitarist Shayley Bourget. He has an innovative voice, which sounds more suited for progressive music rather than metalcore. He shines in choruses, although his voice may have an unsettling effect on a few listeners. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, Of Mice & Men have found a nice sound to work with. The band seems to have a fluent sound and it all blends very well. While I won't spoil much with this album, their are a few stand out songs. The band seems to switch notes well, avoiding a monotonous pit where all the songs sound the same.

A few songs on this album show where the band excels, notably "Second & Sebring," "John Deux Trois," and "They Don't Call it the South for Nothing," and this is just the first half of the album.

Of Mice & Men offer a refreshing look on metalcore & post-hardcore with "Of Mice & Men." It offers a nice balance between the two genres. If you haven't listened to metalcore before, I'd suggest this as a first time listen. // 8

Comments