The Flood review by Of Mice & Men

• Released: Jun 27, 2011
Of Mice & Men: The Flood

During the year 2010, the band has suffered by loosing members, Austin Carlile(Screamer) and Jaxin Hall (Bassist). The band then recruited Jerry Roush (ex Sky Eats Airplain) as front man. Though this line up would not last as the band let go of Jerry and brought back orignal vocalist Austin Carlile. After this, the band spent time writing and recording their sophomore album "The Flood". "The Flood", released on June 14, 2011 is packed with aggressive screams, hardcore breakdowns, fast paced drumming, bass drops and unique singing. It has 11 songs but the physical copy has a hidden bonus track.

The lyrics seem much more improved than their debut cd released last year. Austin has certainly improved in writing lyrics with this release. Overall the lyrics seem darker with Austin writing about how his life has been the past year.

"I don't really think
That you've ever walked a mile in my shoes.
I don't really think
That you know what I've been through.
What I've been through
"

This small section is from the song "Ben Threw". Reading this, we can see Austin has gone through a lot this past year. He got kicked out of OM&M, had open heart surgery, ect. Many of the songs are deep and personal experiences. Anyone who listens to post-hardcore, metalcore knows Austin's screams are very unique and different from many other "screamers". Though his screams are unique, it really hasn't improved since their debut cd. Shayley's voice is great as usual and sound much like he did on the last cd or maybe even better in my opinion.

I like this CD very much but nothing new to hardcore genre. You can compare this band to many bands (musically) in the hardcore genre, but NO band in the genre has a scream like Austin and a voice like Shayley. This is what makes the band stand out. But they really haven't brought anything new about the songs structure as the band has pretty simple riffs and goes breakdown after breakdown like many bands in this overly saturated genre. If this CD was lost I would definitly buy another because I really enjoyed it.

readymade98
    Jsteele1408
    How could anyone have made that mistake?
    KsE909
    someone who actually payed attention.
    CrucifyTheDead
    I like both bands...
    Ibeanez
    No, don't wikipedia for hard factual material. Ever.
    EpiExplorer
    Ibeanez wrote: readymade98 wrote: Jaxin is not in of mice and men.... Their clean vocalist is Shayley Bourget. And it always has been. Jaxin did some vocals live but they weren't good. Wikipedia before you do a review... No, don't wikipedia for hard factual material. Ever.
    Especially Jamey Jasta, I was looking him up and it said right of the bat 'Jamey Jasta (born James Shanahan; August 7, 1977) is God.' This was yesterday, so they might have changed it.
    Mistermetee
    these reviewers are a bunch of idiots! btw @panasonic3 ur a ****ing moron if you're judging an album by its cover. All in all one of the greatest metalcore releases of the last 5 years and definetely a very nice improvement over their last album. Finally a successful album by Rise Records!
    ninjagayden777
    Makes me lol that almost none of the comments are about the music itself. So some facts are off? I apologize for my errors. So anything to say about the music, now...?
    Ibeanez
    Why do people keep quoting the most unoriginal, cliche lyrics as some sort of highlight or improvement? It makes no sense in the middle of a positive review. "This is really good, let me show you how bad it is."
    crisis_core55
    Jsteele1408 wrote: crisis_core55 wrote: Wrong: Austin was never in Attack! Attack!, that's the UK band, he was in Attack Attack! the USA band, so it's also not for fans of Attack! Attack! xD How could anyone have made that mistake?
    Just sayin' people should get their facts straight before writing a review.. No hating! Just saying!
    Disturbdkornkid
    Why are more and more core bands filled with unoriginal angsty scene kids ripping off names from famous novels? Hm guess I answered my question.
    monti2894
    first of all, jaxin isn't in the band anymore, and second, its shayley that does the clean vocals
    finalhack13
    Yeah Jaxin isn't in the band anymore...his vocals were pretty weak live anyway. I'm glad to see that all the good members are back. I think they're going to be awesome on Vans this year!
    Brendan.Clace
    Jaxin is no longer in the band. He quit. Doesn't help he did absolutely nothing in the band and just tried to ride their success. It was part of Austin coming back, was the rest of them throwing Jaxin out. Either way, amazing effort by OM&M again on this record. First reviewer should probably get the facts before writing a review next time.
    slaintsoez
    Both reviews were ridden with grammatical errors and as already stated by readymade98, incorrect information. It would be nice if UG employees or columnists would write these reviews to give them more credibility. For a track by track explanation by Austin go here http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/t... e_men/ By the way...definately/definitly is spelled definitely
    crisis_core55