Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer? review by of Montreal

• Released: Jan 23, 2007
of Montreal: Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?

Again, Kevin Barnes, child prodigy and head of Of Montreal pulls through an array of jumpy rhythms tangled in genius melodies. As in the song, "Bunny Ain't No Kind Of Rider", the tangle of an intricate melody divided among three vocalists during the lyric "You ain't got no soul power." And the dance factor-bass lines-that assure jumpy, dance-able songs were not absent here. Another concept album that must be listened to from "Suffer For Fashion" to "We Were Born Mutants Again With Leafling." The Beatle-esque melody work is never forgotten in this album. And the song structure reminiscent of Queen, the production style of using a song as a mass canvas-is shown through a clean mirror.

As a concept album, the lyrics of this album will, to most, seem unorthodox. Yet, though at first hear they may seem pointless, it is always assured that the lyrics have a quality of genius and memorability as well as a feeling that they are the shouts of an anthem. As in "She's A Rejector": "There's the girl that left me bitter. Want to pay some other girl to just walk up to her and hit her but I can't." Kevin revisits the power and unseemingly aesthetic lyric production of The Sunlandic Twins-each lyric enveloped with the stories of romance(unworldy things)as outlets to telling his own personal stories. Kevin again has the power to assert these lyrics in ways so that the listener feels as if he/she is utterly and completely familiar with the tune upon the first listen.

Following the trends of the sounds beginning from the Sunlandic Twins this album is a complete success. Through the entire work, there is no song that would give a listener an itch to press the next button. As always Of Montreal puts out an apex produced work that made myself personally play the album 50+ times upon first receiving it. Kevin Barnes and Company show again why they are the atop the throne of the Indie Pop scene.

Cheezy
    delaqua
    Cheezy wrote: I listened to one song by these which half way through he hits a horrendously bad note which makes it sound like his balls are dropping. I was getting into them until that too.
    Who are you to define what is a bad note? You obviously don't understand anything about modulation or understand how a pitch works. Learn some music theory and figure out how ridiculous your statement is so that next time you don't make an ass of yourself. If it was because the note was really high, then you just don't like it when males sing high notes and that makes you a prissy for being a homophobe. That's not Kevin's fault-it's yours.
    Cheezy
    Haha actually my favourite singer is Matt Bellamy who can hit an A sharp 7 in the song Microcuts, so i really dont think my problem is the high voice. On top of that, I'm gay, so it would be difficult to be homophobic really. Am i really not allowed to give my opinion of a band just because it doesnt agree with yrs?
    Valrus
    "A sharp 7" is not a note, it's a chord, and people can't sing chords. You're allowed to give your opinion of a band no matter whom it agrees with, but if your opinion is based on your own ignorance, you bet your ass someone's going to call you on it. I suspect the note you're referring to is in "Gronlandic Edit." It's an unexpectedly high note, to be sure, but it's not "bad" in any objective sense like being off key or out of tune.
    whotheledbeatle
    Great album... i think it's odd to not like a band because he hits that note, but hey, to each his own
    Infamou$17
    Don't even worry about that note. Dig the rest of their stuff. Besides, Cedric of The Mars Volta hits a much higher note on "Tetragrammaton" and I have yet to hear anybody dislike it.
    playing4_Christ
    cherry peel is my favourite album, but this is definatly WAY poppier but much more matured in quality and lyrics "the past is a grotesque animal" has some of the greatest lines ive ever heard, very deep too if you take the time to notcice