The Gay Parade Review

artist: of Montreal date: 07/14/2007 category: compact discs

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

of Montreal: The Gay Parade
Release Date: Feb 16, 1999
Label: Bar/None
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Lo-Fi, Indie Pop, Neo-Psychedelia
The Gay Parade is indie pop's very own Sgt. Pepper, a richly detailed, grandly ambitious concept record which forgoes the ponderous pretensions the phrase implies to instead exult in the simple joys of everyday life.
 9.6
 9.1
review (1) 6 comments vote for this album:
The Gay Parade Reviewed by: Infamou$17, on july 14, 2007

Sound: Of Montreal is a fairly prolific band, with many albums under their belt, no Frank Zappa but there is still quite a bit to keep track of. You can think of this album as a "gateway album" used to progressively get more and more into of Montreal, as this is one of their more easily accessible albums. Not over-the-top like Hissing Fauna, more of a straightforward indie pop sound that has a few of their quirks. The production value isn't the best, but it's not intolerable. I think these guys have some of the catchiest sounds out there today. None of the tracks are terribly long, either, with only two of them in excess of 3 minutes and one over 5 minutes long. // 10

Lyrics: Kevin Barnes is an excellent singer and lyricist, he usually writes lyrics about personal experiences (romance is a big topic) and he chooses his words very wisely. The song titles that they come up with, if they did not influence Panic! At the Disco in some way then I don't know what the hell did. "Man's Life Flashing Before His Eyes While He and His Wife Drive Off the Edge of a Cliff", I believe that is the longest title for any of their songs. // 10

Overall Impression: Of Montreal are the dominant rulers of the indie pop world and have been for years, as The Gay Parade (1999) proves. Personally I really dig "My Favorite Boxer" and "The Autobiographical Grandpa", but everything on here is worth your time. I even love how the production value is not perfect, don't know why. If I lost it or it was stolen from me, I'd get it again. If it were lost and I found it, then I would have a copy for my car and a copy for whatever else. If you have wanted to listen to of Montreal for a while, start with this and Satanic Panic In The Attic. You will not regret it unless you are one of those UG classic rock/emo/metal purists who refuse to try something new. // 10

More Of Montreal reviews rating latest review