The Sunlandic Twins review by of Montreal

• Released: Apr 12, 2005
of Montreal: The Sunlandic Twins

Hailing from Athens, Of Montreal's sound, which was once a dreamy, Sgt. Peppers type sound, is now toned down into a laid-back, hip, and soothing sound. The first song of theirs that I heard was "Requiem For O.M.M 2" on my sister's OC soundtrack. After I bought the album, I was floored by their Beatles-ish, and sometimes evne Queen-ish sound. They are certainly an incredible band.

Though they fit the dreamy music well, the lyrics on this album are sometime just bizarre. For example, in "Wraith Pinned To The Mist And Other Games," the singer often repeates the line, "Let's pretend we don't exist, let's pretend we're in Antarctica," which struck me as a strange verse. The singer has a Beatles-influenced voice that he can stretch into an almost Freddie Mercury-ish falsetto. His voice meshes flawlessly with the off-kilter music in the background.

This Of Montreal album differs greatly from the psychadelic sound in their other albums, which go back as far as 1998. My personal favorite songs are "Wraith Pinned To The Mist And Other Games," "Oslo In The Summertime," "Art Snob Solutions" and "The Actor's Opprobrium." I am astounded by their distinctive sound, and have no real complaints about this great set of songs. If you like original, soft, and relaxing music, then definately check out "The Sunlandic Twins" by Of Montreal.

lucky69
    a agree with your comment that the "wraith pinned..." lyrics are astoundingly bizarre, however, when i looked to find deeper meaning in it, it opened up a whole tome of greek mythology and various interpretations. The same principle applies for most of their songs, and if that doesnt help, just some some weed and listen to it- that usually does the trick =]
    delaqua
    So Begins Our Alabee has some of the most beautiful metaphors "you're my mousy aesthete" for a love tune ever. Kevin's forte of lyrical genius comes through in that song. By far may favourite song by Of Montreal, by any band for that matter.