Between The Devil And The Sea review by Oh No! Oh My!

• Released: Jul 10, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Oh No! Oh My!: Between The Devil And The Sea

The Austin, Texas modern pop quartet Oh No! Oh My! has a catchy melodic beat that feels like Matt Costa's folk musings with a countrified hue. Though barely out of high school, the four members of Oh No! Oh My! have released a second EP entitled Between The Devil And The Sea. The band members are virtually interchangeable in their instruments with most of them able to play guitar, bass, percussion, Wurlitzer, and keyboards. Lead vocalist Greg Barkley additionally plays the banjo and accordion while guitarist Daniel Hoxmeier, drummer Joel Calvin, and keyboardist Tim Regan provides the bells, shakers, handclapping motifs, and background vocals. The album is like a jam session performed on someone's front porch. The country-pop tones of Our Mouths Were Wet are reminiscent of Menomena while the jumping folk-pop vibes of Oh Be One and The Party Punch are clamped with sunbursts of guitar, toe tapping beats, and choruses that have commonalities to Grizzly Bear and Sparklehorse. The breezy modern pop melody of The Pirate Sir has a cozy coffeehouse sensation while the sparse instrumentation of The Bike Sir is reflective of the warm slurping glazes of The Fratellis.

The lyrics have are relatable to common life circumstances like the track The Party Punch as Barkley sings: You sat down on our leather chair/ Call everyone/ Stick your toes up in the air, come on, it's fun. The lyrics find pleasure in the simple things of life and invite others to join in that free-spirit. The band has a very Californian easy going slant in their lyrics that translates to a universal appeal. The lyrics are general and use common language. This may explain how their song Walk In The Park from their 2006 self-titled debut EP was featured in an episode of Showtimes TV series Weeds.

Oh No! Oh My! makes catchy pop melodies that feel natural in expressing the cycles of life. The EP has an easy going saunter and coffeehouse quench. Their music has similarities to homespun groups like The Fratellis and Menomena with the biggest difference being that every member of Oh No! Oh My! participates in the vocal parts and the toe tapping rhythms. The music is upbeat and tempered just right for a cozy outing.