Son Of The Morning review by Oh, Sleeper

• Released: Aug 25, 2009
Oh, Sleeper: Son Of The Morning

Oh, Sleeper's sophomore album certainly isn't a disappointment. In fact, their music has greatly improved since When I Am God. Son of the Morning is a concept album about the last battle between God and Satan. From the start to finish, the album tells an elaborate story about the struggle between the two powers. Like in their previous album, Oh, Sleeper possesses a powerful yet melodic sound with shredding guitar work, a strong bass sound, and beastly drumming. In my opinion, they've also improved upon their music in regards to the structuring of their songs. While When I Am God possessed few songs with obvious choruses, most of the songs off this album does.

In my opinion, as well as many others, Micah Kinard is one of the best lyricists of this time. His lyrics are poetic and emotional. Each song is about something different; they don't repeat topics in their album like many other bands do. One thing that bothered me was a change in Micah's writing style. The lyrics of the previous album possessed more metaphors and had a less straight forward message. The lyrics of this album does away with the metaphors and makes the message more apparent. I'm not sure if I like that. As far as vocals go, Micah delivers the screams while Shane sings at different parts of the songs. Shane has a great voice... and Micah has my favorite scream out of all the hardcore/metalcore bands that I listen to. Even though he is screaming, you can easily understand what it is that he's saying.

Overall, Son of the Morning is a fantastic album. It keeps your attention all the way through, one characteristic that When I Am God lacked. Perhaps the most impressive songs off the album are Son of the Morning, In All Honesty, Banquet for Traitors, and the final track, The Finisher. One thing I would have to complain about is the overall length of the album. While it consists of ten songs, it's only about thirty minutes long. This was sort of a disappointment; I was hoping it would be as long as their first album. Aside from the short length and the change in Micah's lyric style, I really don't have anything to criticize this album on. I loved each and every song with the exception of World Without A Sun... which started out great with some beastly double bass, but died down as it went on. For fans of Oh, Sleeper, this album is a must buy. I'd also recommend it to those who have never listened to the band. I'd certainly buy it again if I lost it!

Jon777
    I loved When I Am God. It had really great songs, but it also had a few really... uh... boring songs. Basically what Oh, Sleeper did with this new album is create ten more songs like "Vices". The structured the songs better... and added in some catchy choruses like "Vices like Vipers" had. I absolutely loved it.
    justinb904
    I have yet to listen to the whole thing but for a metalcore/post-hardcore album it is pretty good. I'd say about 8/10
    catalyst329
    Amazing album, kinda skeptic about it when i first bought it but after listening to the whole thing it just blew me away
    stjimmy478
    Jon777
    stjimmy478 wrote: Amazing album, blew me away with guitar and all the meaning behind their lyrics. but the guitar parts on the finisher have to be some of the sickest i've ever heard shane come up with.
    Agreed, man. Same with Breathing Blood.
    imsimon
    The chorus of In All Honesty is one of my favourite choruses ever. Amazing album
    qwrtbob900
    kellen.dobmeier
    When I am God had some incredible songs in Vices Like Vipers, We Are the Archers, Charlatan's Host, and The End of a Dark Campaign. The others were meh. The biggest downfall of that album was the repetitive guitar-work, which is no longer a detriment with this album. What I liked best about When I Am God was the concept, which is outlined in the album title. I do prefer this album though. It's just plain better.
    Alec Shea
    i actually think the albums are pretty close, all the songs on this album are amazing, but the old album is longer, i found that this album i could listen to over and over withouth changing the song moreso than when i am god, when i am god was a fantastic album dont get me wrong, but some of the songs on this one just cannot be matched, if only it were longer!!!
    Jon777
    qwrtbob900 wrote: World Without A Sun was definitely the best song on this new album. I don't know what the **** you're talking about.
    I wrote the review about a week after I got the album. Now that I've been listening to the album for a few months... I absolutely love World Without A Sun. Simply amazing.
    Oh, Sleeper11
    This album is amazing, it shows the progression bands go through between albums. when i am god is an amazing meaningful album with an extreme desire and emotion. this album is just as well put together as when i am god is. to be god honest i never heard of them until i saw them on the tour with every time i die, Bring me the horizon and architects. i was blown away and i went to best buy and bought both of their cd's, the day after the show. Oh, sleeper is a big inspiration in my life and its easy to understand their meanings and beliefs. They Really have changed my ways and taught me how to be a better person.
    Clayton777
    Insane album. I've waited for this for a while now. The meaning they put into the lyrics is amazing, along with the sick guitar on it,
    llama_guitarist
    Viciousgray wrote: I disagree with the 'losing energy' part of World Without a Sun; "The trees are dead, yet alive more than ever, growing flesh where once were limbs/ they stretch, instead of tower, like bone wrapped giants they raaaaage"... thats gotta be one of the most badass breakdowns I've EVER heard, and its cushioned between two other breakdowns! Ridiculous.
    This. World Without A Sun is one of my favorites on the album solely because of this part. and the kick-ass intro.
    pogoman246
    When I Am God was, to be honest, hard for me to listen to all the way through. it was good, but i got bored. that doesn't happen with this album. i can't help but listen to the whole thing. great band, great album
    !normajean!
    this album is just phenomenal. i have nothing bad to say about it. i'd it a 9.7. the only reason i wouldnt give it a ten is cause i would like 1 or 2 more songs. i saw them a couple months ago and shane was playing flawlessly. he actually looked bored when he was playing the really complicated stuff. but i'm seeing them again in new orleans soon and i'm really looking forward to seeing him play the new stuff. amazing band. that is all.
    Viciousgray
    Definitely an improvement on their old sound, though sometimes the pop structuring gets in the way, seems to kind of hold back some of their songs from exploding fully. I disagree with the 'losing energy' part of World Without a Sun; "The trees are dead, yet alive more than ever, growing flesh where once were limbs/ they stretch, instead of tower, like bone wrapped giants they raaaaage"... thats gotta be one of the most badass breakdowns I've EVER heard, and its cushioned between two other breakdowns! Ridiculous. They have a penchant for throwing stupid stuff in their music too (not unlike the opera singing in WIAG), like at the end of son of the morning theres a voice in the background singing a melody. If theyd been doing the same melody with quick strummed octaves it wouldve been more epic and less cheesy... it just seems forced and pointless. Also, I LOVE the guitar in Breathing Blood, its crazy!
    snoman52
    This band is AMAZING!!! Although I do agree that When I am God had a better overall flow...although tracks seven to ten on this disc are absolutely insane...especially banquet for traitors and the finisher. Could've used another ten or twenty minutes of music on the disc thou
    ragethetool
    I speak from experience, Shane is a really good teacher. I saw him about a year ago when they headlined a show in Tulsa for WIAG. But I dig the new cd mainly because of Micah and Shane's work. They're fantastic. And the new drummer (Mike?) is incredibly talented (still nothing but love for Ryan =)
    linds4lif
    opusthecat wrote: svgabe wrote: I saw these guys twice last year and Shane is ridiculously good. Shane does guitar lessons while on tour in your city. Find him on myspace to contact him. I got one scheduled for September and can't friggin wait to sit down with him!
    That's awesome!!! I want some, I love all of the riffs and guitar playing in their songs, its pretty sick
    linds4lif
    I really like this cd, I can listen to this cd the whole way through without skipping any songs. Like someone said it does have more beginning of the song then end of song, unlike When I Am God, but I really really like all of the songs on this album, whereas some on WIAG were just ok...
    opusthecat
    svgabe wrote: I saw these guys twice last year and Shane is ridiculously good.
    svgabe
    I liked When I Am God better personally. It had more of a flow throughout the entire album that the new one doesn't. I'm a big fan of that style. On the new one, the quality of the material is definitely great, but the overall album's feel isn't the same. There's more start song, end song, start new song etc. I saw these guys twice last year and Shane is ridiculously good.
    Jon777
    multipleofone wrote: just got this and having never heard anything by this band, it's pretty damn technical for a post-hardcore album
    Try the first album, bro. I think you'll like it.
    wagos408
    overall...i think When I Am God is a better album when i first got it, it stayed in my CD player for an entire week... I do enjoy this album, but i love When I Am God
    multipleofone
    BwareDWare94
    As long as there are songs as epic as The Fire Dawn and A Banquet For Traitors, I'll be happy.