When I Am God review by Oh, Sleeper

• Released: Oct 23, 2007
Oh, Sleeper: When I Am God

Oh, Sleeper's "When I am God" establishes them as one of the more inovative acts of hardcore genre. Building upon their 2006 "The Armored March [EP]," the band delivers punishing song after punishing song. Still, they aren't afraid to pull back and deliver some very haunting and dark melodic songs. Put together the technical guitar lines of August Burns Red, the vocals of Inhale Exhale, and the percussion of Underoath, and the intensity of The Devil Wears Prada and you have something close to Oh, Sleeper.

Micha Kinard is the best new lyricst of 2007 in my opinion. He paints vivd pictures of epic fight scenes and the effect of sin in the lifes of humans. Oh, Sleeper is christian, and the fact is evident. The first track is "Vices Like Vipers," and it's about what happens when as a church the focus comes off of christ and on ourselves. Kinard screams "When I am God, this church is not sound." His scream is a pretty constant medium pitch scream, and the clean vocals fit in nicely when they are used.

"When I am God" takes all five songs of "The Armored March [EP]," redoes them, and adds 6 new songs. It deserves recognition as one of the top Metal releases of the year. The progressive originality is what I love most about this cd. I really do not think it sounds like much that is out there today. While every song is excellent, be sure to check out "Vices Like Vipers," "I Will Welcome the Reaping," and "We Are The Archers." I would definately buy it again if it were stolen or lost.

Untamed_Horizon
    lol, I just heard about these guys, and I got addicted to their music right after listening just two of their songs. They have both the heaviness and melodic tone like TDWP, but in their own style and a bit more techical, which they show most in Vices.
    ColinElmhurstEX
    oh sleeper are crazy, thats all im gonna say. theyve got their own style and are amazing at what they do. their singer is one of my favourite lyricists and vocalists recently. hope their name gets out. lookin forward to the new album
    cry4stewie
    my friend got album and he told me that it blows, all the songs sound the same but they are still a good band
    iH8CarAccidents
    J-rich777 wrote: sxcountry wrote: my mom was all freaked when she saw the title of the album (i have the cover art as my computer's wallpaper), and i showed her the lyrics in context, she was like "oh..." and "give_em hell" , you should lighten up. Don't tell him to lighten up have you ever seen them live? They are amazing all out. So what if he gets excited about stuff like that don't ruin his fun man.
    I think he's referring to earlier when Give_em Hell was bashing them. I wonder what caused his excitement all of a sudden...
    Schizopathic
    I think this CD is great...Very well constructed songs, great lyrics, smart riffs, crushing breaks, powerful vocals, everything about it is awesome... The end of the song "To Flagship" is just killer...
    sxcountry
    Untamed_Horizon
    Give_em Hell
    not impressed? why do you like ****in red jumpsuit? those screamo wannabes?
    fieryfenderz
    i saw these dudes in nashville and i talked to the lead singer for like 15 minutes afterwards... really cool guy
    !normajean!
    i just heard this band today. theyre amazing! and the artwork for this cd is so awesome!
    >>Eric<<
    This band absolutely blows me away. They are incredible and need to be more well known. The lyrics are amazing too. But, in all of the older songs like "We Are The Archers" and "The End Of A Dark Campaign" on The Armored March [EP] the screaming sounds much different. I'm not saying that the old screaming is better, but I prefer the older "We Are The Archers" over the new. =)
    greatwasthefall
    Oh sleeper are awesome, one of my fav bands, but i think most of their songs sound the same :\ hopefully in their next album they can fix this
    snoman52
    oh sleeper is my favorite band. they ****ing rock. and they put on a great live show. Them and august burns red are my two favorite bands to see live
    MattRTS
    This band is like Between The Buried And Me and Underoath Mixed, and not in a bad way. I don't think they're as good either of those bands but close. Also if you didn't know, they're guitarist used to be in BTBAM.
    hitek008
    Give_em Hell
    Untamed_Horizon wrote: Give_em Hell wrote: hitek008 wrote: i saw them at the door in dallas....pretty much all the bands there sounded the same as them...wasn't impressed at all...saw alot of the same haircuts and girl pants being worn in the crowd...pretty lame not impressed? why do you like ****in red jumpsuit? those screamo wannabes? lol you said you saw them at the door... How do you know they all* sound the same then? If you did, then that means you just stood there for thirty minutes and totally wasted your own time when you knew you didn't like this genre of music. Don't be a hypocrite, and stop making these kinds of dumb general conclusions, cuz it's disrespectful of other people's opinions.
    like i give a ****?