When I Am God review by Oh, Sleeper

• Released: Oct 23, 2007
Oh, Sleeper: When I Am God

I am actually pretty impressed with this CD. Their only real issue is sounding strikingly similar to Underoath. This is definately a reflection to Underoath's Define The Great Line album. Not copying, persay, but very influenced by so. However, the guitar work is much more complex and is greatly appreciated. My favorite part is the end of the first track, "Vices Like Vipers" where guitarist Shane Blay lets loose with a whole plethora of arpeggios and who knows what else.

Micah Kinard certainly does a good job with the vocals. He also has the ability to write incredible and vivid lyrics. Usually I pay more attention to the instrumentals, but his fresh and surprisingly skilled voice coupled with his previously discussed amazing lyrics steals the show. I am especially impressed with the transition from clean singing to sheer screaming in "Vices Like Vipers" and even more so with the lyrical content and beauty of "The Color Theft". The last part of "Charlatan's Host" will also hold a special place in my heart for this band.

As I mentioned earlier, they sound too close to Underoath for my comfort, but I definately think they have potential. If I lost it, I would probably be sad for a while, but I have all the tracks ripped onto my computer, so I wouldn't have to buy it again. Technology saves the day. And a few bucks.

Jon777
    Oh Sleeper... all their songs are awesome! ...and so emotional, too. Something you normally don't see in bands nowadays.